Build the Ultimate Turkey Vest

• crossin_eyes
    Lakeville, MN

Alright IDO turkey faithful….I need your input…
    I’m the new Hunting and Tactical Apparel Merchandise Manager at The Sportsman’s Guide. For Spring 2020, I want to build the best Turkey Vest you’ve ever seen, for a price that will make you flip. I want to know about all the features, pockets, and gadgets that will make this turkey vest the very Best!
    Pockets Galore – Slate Call, box call, diaphragm call, shells, etc.
    Great shoulder and chest straps
    well-cushioned flip down seat
    Your favorite Camo patterns
    Everything! Lay it on me!

Thanks!
    Mike

crossin_eyes
    Lakeville, MN

Oh and I’ll make it worth your while…..
    Every IDO member who gives input will be entered into a drawing to get one of the vests FREE.
    So join the fun and help me design something awesome!!

Kurt Turner
    Kasson, MN

Minimum of 4 inside pockets. Cell, license, keys, etc…

Good luck, sounds like a great project!

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

(A)pocket in the back for a hydration bladder (include the bladder)
    (B)Shoulder straps that have plenty of adjustment for height (some folks like the vest to ride high and others (like me) like it to hang a lot lower.
    (C) NO Velcro,,,, zippers or buttons only (I prefer buttons as I can open and close a button with one hand and can’t always do that with a zipper)
    (D) Tall enough narrow pockets to hold the strikers for a slate call
    (E) extra tall pocket for a longer than average box call

steve sample

Please make the rear game pocket large enough to actually carry a large bird, I have had two now that can’t actually carry a 25lb bird. One was way too small, and the other was closed with snaps at the top that would pop open from the weight. If you put a padded back/seat, could you make it a little thicker padding please? I carry several types of calls, the slate/glass call that I use, I have the striker attached to the call with a string,but in the same pocket if they move together it makes a squeek or clack noise, could that pocket have a sewn sleeve for the striker or extra strikers? well padder shoulder straps? Quality clips across the chest not snaps that will wear out.

riverruns
    Inactive

Make the rear bag adjustable some how that will carry decoys, and the stakes. Big enough to carry out a Turkey. Also the front straps should be like a backpack for out west when you carry gear.

fishingchallenged

Realtree Xtra

Easy adjustable since weather varies from sweatshirt to heavy jacket

David Blais

Sounds like you guys need a atv, not a vest

bla

With the pockets I prefer the magnets for closure. Padded pocket for cell phone would be awesome. I agree with the large back pocket for bird or seat pads.

Kong

Better padding in the shoulders is a must.

Also, a wider holder for a box call would be nice. I like to put a bottle of water or canteen in the box call holder since i do not use a box call.

some type of mesh inside the pockets to hold some of my diaphragm call cases from making a ruckus on the walk out.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Include some carabiner clips on the front.

zooks

(A)pocket in the back for a hydration bladder (include the bladder)
    (B)Shoulder straps that have plenty of adjustment for height (some folks like the vest to ride high and others (like me) like it to hang a lot lower.
    (C) NO Velcro,,,, zippers or buttons only (I prefer buttons as I can open and close a button with one hand and can’t always do that with a zipper)
    (D) Tall enough narrow pockets to hold the strikers for a slate call
    (E) extra tall pocket for a longer than average box call

These are good. I especially like the hydration bladder idea, make sure it fits up to a 2L bag.

I like lots of D rings around to connect stuff to it with either carabiners or paracord.

No velcro is a good idea but if you do use some, make sure you can tuck the top flaps into the pocket easily so you can get at the contents without tearing open the whole velcro strip.

I hunt in western MN and tend to go later in the season around walleye opener so I prefer a fair amount of green in my camo, the Obsession NTWF or something similar is a good pattern for me.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Totally agree with all the no velcro comments. Drives me crazy on all kinds of hunting gear that should be quiet.

Additional items:

Make outer fabric QUIET. I prefer the low-nap brushed fabrics that are absolutely silent. However….

No water-absorbing fabrics like cotton! If you have to hunt in the rain, I don’t want to have to keep my vest under my rain gear. I want a vest that absorbs no water.

Handwarmer pockets that are lined and can be used when sitting! A lot of times I don’t want a glove on when using a box or slate, so I like to be able to slip my hand in a pocket, but this is impossible if the pockets are too low on the vest when sitting.

I’m on the fence about a large rear decoy pouch. Personally, I think I will always carry a pack for decoys, so I would prefer an almost flat, smooth back. What I would like to see is a good, over the shoulder sling pack for decoys that matches the vest.

Grouse

crossin_eyes
    Lakeville, MN

Thanks to all for the great ideas! I’ll keep you all in the loop so you can see development samples.

eye-full
    Waterloo,Ia,USA

I use a homemade vest for bowhunting deer in the fall. One thing I found in most turkey vest I looked at were the pockets were not large enough or specialized to carry only one item. I will be turkey hunting again this year after not going for a few years so little out the loop.
    Nice padded seat, padded shoulder, zippered or button pockets and inside pockets things I like. I carry a folding saw and pruners so pockets big enough to carry those items is nice.
    One thing you could do is make the back pouch removable so guys like me that like that can use it and those who don’t can remove it. Take a U shaped zipper on the bottom and nice buckles up top so easy on off.

BassinBill
    La Crosse, Wi

Itd be nice to have some sort of “stake pocket” for the decoy stakes. Somewhere where it would still be comfortable while walking. Preferably so they dont bang around or fall out and get lost.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

td be nice to have some sort of “stake pocket” for the decoy stakes. Somewhere where it would still be comfortable while walking. Preferably so they dont bang around or fall out and get lost.

+1 on that idea. Brilliant.

Grouse

Kris Berg

Extendable/ Adjustable legs on the back for supporting you when sitting and there are no big enough trees around to lean back against.

Nicholas

They are you competitors but I would look at the cabelas tactical tatr kickstand.

Bungee strap to keep the box call from making noise
    Orange flap on back for walking in
    I also prefer a water bottle holder because i have had a bladder pop when resting up on a tree
    Definitely needs legs (removable?) so you don’t need a tree if one isn’t available

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.