Bucket topper problem

• Ryne Jackson
    Kansas

Ok guys, I have the Plano bucket topper. If you’re familiar with it you know that when it’s snapped down removing it may be the trickiest and most strenuous part of your day. Does anyone have any modifications/ideas for making it easier to remove? Cut it somewhere I’m guessing? Thanks in advance. Probably not a great question, but if anyone else has shared this frustration here’s your chance to vent.

Attachments:
    1. buck-top.jpg

rkd-jim
    Fountain City, WI.

Just by looking at it if you take a hacksaw and cut two slits on opposite sides should relieve some pressure on it when it gets cold.

Ryne Jackson
    Kansas

Thanks. That’s what I’ve been thinking too.

CBMN
    North Metro

Have a few of these at home but they are not in front of me right now, but I would guess there are a few tabs or fingers in the inner rim that could be wittled or filed down a bit as a less invasive option. Will look and post a photo later if I can.

munchy
    NULL

Like CBMN said there should be a “barb” on the inside lip that catches the bucket lip. Take a utility knife and scrape it away.

Ryne Jackson
    Kansas

Tabs would be convenient. Unfortunately, the inside lip is just a single, uniform bump that’s continuous around the whole thing. At least it’s nearly water tight I guess. My frustration might be reduced a bit if I get to cut some notches in this thing.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_9500.jpg

2. IMG_9499.jpg

Michael Saal
    Merrill, Wi

Can you drill a hole on the outside edge and put a three or four inch rope with knots on each end so you can get a grip to pull it up.

CBMN
    North Metro

Tabs would be convenient. Unfortunately, the inside lip is just a single, uniform bump that’s continuous around the whole thing. At least it’s nearly water tight I guess. My frustration might be reduced a bit if I get to cut some notches in this thing.

I noticed the same thing when I got home on the 2 I have. I think trying 1 or 2 cuts would be your best option as it would take some time with a dremel, file or knife to take the rib down all the way around the circumference of the lid. Might be able to get by with only grinding the rib down in 3 or 4 places to save some time. I think I would still just cut it being they are only around $10 to buy a new one if you don’t like the results.

Ryne Jackson
    Kansas

Michael, you may win the internet on this one. It’s not until now I noticed a hole in the lid. I wonder if it’s to be used for exactly what you described. I’ll test it out sometime tomorrow and let you guys know if it works. If it doesn’t work, I’ll do a little grinding and cutting, CBMN. Thanks guys.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_9502.jpg

loonswail
    Ankeny, IA

FOR SURE!! I sat on mine last week and liked to never have removed it from the bucket. It took all my wife and I had to pull it off the bucket..I haven’t investigated further cause the two buckets I’ve been using are from Italy and not USA.
    ( Italian peppers). Guess that I’m glad it’s not ‘just me’.lol

Bassn Dan

Cutting into the topper isn’t going to make it smaller. Some buckets are slightly larger than others – try other buckets.

Otherwise, either put Armor All, car wax, Pledge, etc. on the topper and the bucket to lube them, and/or cut slits in the bucket itself to allow it to expand. Another option is sandpapering the bucket to make it larger and the topper to make it smaller.

Ryne Jackson
    Kansas

loonswail, yes that’s what I’m talking about! You are not alone sir! Is that not crazy?! And of course I’m always in a hurry when trying to get into the bucket.

Bassn Dan, thanks for the ideas. I could try different buckets to find a good fit. Unfortunately I’ve got several of the same type, the mass-produced orange ones from the hardware store that everyone probably knows.

Michael Saal
    Merrill, Wi

I’ve have one too but it’s packed a way, I use it in the kayak and haven’t sat on it on a bucket yet. I think I”ll be adding rope to mine.

Ryne Jackson
    Kansas

Ok guys, I tried several ideas last night to make the lid easier to remove. Here are the results (in chronological order):

1. Tried the rope handle with knots on the end through the hole: even worse, wouldn’t open at all.
    2. Cut two slits on opposite sides of bucket: no change in difficulty to remove
    3. Cut four slits on opposite sides of bucket: No change
    4. Cut two slits on opposite sides of lid (*along w/ slits from above): slightly easier to remove
    5. Cut four slits on opposite sides of lid*: even easier to remove
    6. Wiped both pieces with WD-40*: MUCH easier to remove!

So there you have it. I wouldn’t say it’s a huge difference–but definitely noticeable. Thanks for the input guys. Good luck out there and have a great ice season.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.