Brushy Creek 1/2

• nick858
    Eldora, Iowa

I got out on Brushy Creek again yesterday with my uncle. “Our” hole has now become a community spot, and there were 11 shacks set up within 40 yards of each other. Nothing in comparison to the 76 cars in the parking lot on the north ramp though, Wow!
    We got on the lake at 130, and decided to try a spot Ive had some decent success on walleyes. After spending 2 hours drilling and hole-hopping, we had nothing to show for it. We decided to move back in to “the spot.”
    Some of the people had cleared out, and we were left with half a dozen shacks around, so we pulled in, drilled holes and sat.
    The gill pill I was using started putting out fish right away. We ended up with 22 gills, all released except for the one in the picture, that took the jig a little too far.
    About 430, the crappies started snapping, and we had our best day to date on them, getting 16. I got 2 or 3 on a Diamond Jig, and then they started hitting minnows. A whole minnow on a Frostee seemed to be doing the best, and we finished out the night at 6pm. My uncle kept 10 crappies for his family, and the rest were released.

moler02
    Iowa, Knoxville

Thanks Nick, your’e not completely alone down here.

benjisdad
    Newton, Iowa

Thanks for the updates from Brushy..I”ve never fished the lake, but have heard good things. I may not get up there to do some ice fishing, but I’m gonna make sure to drag my boat up for a day bass fishing..

brushy19

Great report Nick! I can’t seem to find um like that this year. I’m headin back out tonight to try a new spot for some eyes. If the fish aren’t there the Busch Lights will be

mike_j
    Nashua Iowa

my dad and I fished brushy Jan 2nd and the morning bite was alright. I had 6 crappies in the bucket befor he caught a fish then he sets the hook and says I got something big. 5 mins later he pulls a 20″ eye out the hole. We keep fishing catching gills and crappies and about 15 mins later I hook into a good one and pull a 17″ eye out. Then a bunch of perch come through and we get a few and a little while later I get another eye about 16″. Fishing was pretty good after that for gills and perch, and a few small eyes. Around noon the wind switched to the east and shut em down. Moved out to deep water to look for suspended crappies and caught 2 in over about 45′ of water. They ate readaly there just wern’t many out there yet. Moved back to about 26′ to try some more gills and couldn’t hardly get bit so we packed it up early. I ended the day with 22 gills 14 crappies 4 perch and 2 walleyes. Not sure what dad had but he had some nice perch and gills a few crappies and his one 20″ eye. Not a bad day of fishing all in all. Did get a 14″ 2 pound crappie about a weak ago so there are a few still in there. good luck to every one it’ll be a couple weaks befor I make it back now.

nick858
    Eldora, Iowa

Nice job especially on the walleyes, Im yet to get a decent one this year.

mike_j
    Nashua Iowa

funny thing is that I was realy just targeting panfish and was doing a fine job catching them. The eyes were just a bonus. They were mixed right in with the crappies and gills and perch. I was useing bigger jigs so that the bigger fish would at least think about it. There were some other guys useing your standard #10 panfish jigs who were catching some too but 12 or 13″ was about the biggest they could get to bite.

brittlab
    North Central Iowa

thanks for the report nick

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.