Brushy Creek Crappies 1/21/06

• zamer
    Grimes, Iowa

Pete, Dustin, Andrew, and I got up with the roosters and went up to Brushy to try for some of those nice big slabs. We hit the lake about 5:30am, got set up and caught a few fish before the sun come up. Here’s a couple of nice 14″ crappies that Dustin caught. The fishing was very slow but it was nice to get out on the hard water again. Thanks Pete and Dustin, Andrew and I had a great time.

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

Zamer- are you aware of the IDA online ice tournament? Those crappies would have been first and second place…

zamer
    Grimes, Iowa

I was not aware of that. Thanks.

Toothfish
    central Iowa

Hi! New to this site. I have been hitting Brushy every weekend..but not with the roosters Getting alot of gills with a perch or bass thrown in there. I need to get up before the chickens and get on the ice!!!

emover
    Malcom, IA

welcome to IDA Toothfish
    You’ll like it here. Hope your luck gets even better on Brushy.

dave

nirrad
    Des Moines, Iowa

welcome Toothfish, long time no see

Toothfish
    central Iowa

Quote:

welcome Toothfish, long time no see

Small world ….isn’t it

zamer
    Grimes, Iowa

From what I have been hearing from the guys who fish Brushy on a regular basis, crappies are best before sun up and after sun down. Fish in the trees in 20-30 feet of water with small minnows, they don’t seem to want the bigger ones. The fish are fairly close to bottom. The walleyes seem to be a bit deeper at 30-40 fow.

BrushyCreeker

ya I have been fishing Brushy for about a month and a half straight every day and night, so those crappies I caught were well desevered for the time I’ve put into it. I have been picking up a few crappies, bluegills, and perch here and there and walleyes have been hard to pattern. But it’s like any other sport put the time into practice and it pays in the end.
    BrushyCreeker

Toothfish
    central Iowa

With all that wind yesterday and the open water in the main body of the lake…I’m hoping the open water hasn’t expanded into the area around Taylor Island boat ramp!!
    Anyone up there today?? Give a post on ice conditions at the ramps ???? Thank you!!!

Toothfish
    central Iowa

Just got a report that there is still ice at the south ramp. Wet ice…but ice!!! I’m going to check it Sat. afternoon and try and fish it.

mike_j
    Nashua Iowa

Nice fish. I’ve caught a few of those 14″ers myself. There are bigger ones in there if you can find em. I too have done alot better befor or after light for the Crappies.

Toothfish
    central Iowa

Was on brushy sat. night till 8pm and back on at 7am sun. morning. Only 2 crapps but a perch ,some nice gills. and 2 small eyes on sunday morn.
    Where were the fisherman?? The ice was fine!

mike_j
    Nashua Iowa

Thanks for the ice report!

andyjcraig
    Iowa City, Iowa

do you know how good the ice is everywhere? where were you at? hoping to fish the legigh firefighters tourney on the eleventh.

Toothfish
    central Iowa

Unfortunatly I have to be out of town this coming weekend or I would be on the ice. The ice around the east and south side of Taylor island was fine last sat. and sun.(6-8 in.) Watch out for the spring that’s been there all winter. It is in the most east end of the man made part of the boat ramp bay. The north end looks OK as well ,but did not go out on the ice. The main body of the lake is wide open!!! This seems to be normal for this lake ,just a larger area of open water this year.

I really don’t see a problem for an experienced ice fisherman. But “BE CAREFULL”

andyjcraig
    Iowa City, Iowa

Thanks Toothfish. Hopefully my spot’s not open water.
    Andy

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.