Brule River 2020

• MplsOutdoors

This was my first year fishing on the Brule river in Wisconsin for Steelhead. After a lot of unsuccessful trips, I finally had an awesome day where I hooked 6 and landed 3. Does anyone else in here fish the Brule? Would love to hear about other peoples tactics, been interested in purchasing a centerpin reel. Also does anyone fish the Lake Michigan tribs?
    Heres a vid of me roping in some Steelies if anyone is interested!

MplsOutdoors

Sorry my pc crashed when posting and posted 7 times…..apologies for the seeming spam.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Got your back. waytogo

Welcome to IDO.

cbeeksma
    Delta, WI

Fish the Brule a lot…a special place for steelhead.

DeRangedFishinguy
    Up Nort’

Nice video!

I grew up fishing that river (started in the late 80-early 90’s) and was taught by my Dad and uncles who started fishing it back in the 60’s.

I certainly don’t fish it as much as I used to or as much as I’d like, but that river will forever hold a special place in my heart and soul for my whole life. I’m trying to make more time to get over there more, but with little kids, my time is limited!

A lot has changed over the years since I’ve been going up. I was brought up in the old-school style of fishing the river (a now often degraded and frowned upon way of fishing it). Hike up river a few miles from your vehicle/campground and spend the day working your way down the river drifting bait/yarn on a flyrod strung with mono spun on a classic Martin multiplier reel. Now it seems that way of fishing is a dying relic of the past. Fly fisherman rule the roost. Common river courtesy is a thing of the past, too. A guy never jumped into the river in front of someone, now it’s a commonplace.

Seems the runs are decent the last few years, but I’ll never forget the the runs from around 2004-2007’ish. Those were Epic! Multiple 26″+ fish/day! Landed a 28″ brown and a 28″ steelhead on the same weekend in 2006. Watched my uncle loose a 10+lb steelie that same weekend, too. Even my Dad commented back then that these were the best years he’d ever seen on the river in his time.

Looking forward to this spring! Definitely planning on getting a few days out there as long as the rivers not blowing out.

Jake
    Brainerd

I go out there a couple times a year. Love it there, except for the crowds and my lack of fish catching ability. Have yet to hook up with a nice steelie. I’ll just keep on trying. Beautiful place.

genegr
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Ok, I’m interested now. What section of river are you guys talking about? Hwy 2 to 13? Hwy 13 to the lake? Is the river canoe friendly or is it walk/wade only? Where are these crowds to stay away from? Hotel and local guide recommendations would be great. Thanks for lighting the fire.

DeRangedFishinguy
    Up Nort’

Ok, I’m interested now. What section of river are you guys talking about? Hwy 2 to 13? Hwy 13 to the lake? Is the river canoe friendly or is it walk/wade only? Where are these crowds to stay away from? Hotel and local guide recommendations would be great. Thanks for lighting the fire.

Anything North of Hwy 2 is fair game and can be crowded whenever the fish are in the river. The beauty of the Brule is there is a lot of room to spread out, but people congregate in certain areas. There are people that canoe and kayak the river for recreation in the warmer months. Back when I first started fishing there was an old timer that canoed the river with a flyrod and a shotgun and would jump-shoot ducks and grouse and would stop to fish periodically.

There are a few State campgrounds available and a motel in town.

MplsOutdoors

Anything highway 2 and up. Stop in at the gas station in Brule and buy the sportsmans map for 10 bucks. It has every parking spot marked and every hole marked and named. Season just closed but it is a totally new world I am getting into. There is serious trophy fish potential. I was able to get up on a few weekdays and it was surely less crowded than on the weekends. I did really well fishing soft beads there. Ive stayed at the Brule Motel but I usually just camp at the State campgrounds near. I know a guy on instagram, @ castawayguideservice who guides the Spring and Fall. I will be up there a lot in the Spring time.

MplsOutdoors

Always love talking to the people that have fished the river a long time. I always try to avoid the crowds and head up on weekdays if possible. I did well okay on the Fly rod but the last couple trips I brought the Spinning gear and did very well with floats. Ive really been looking at purchasing a centerpin set up. The river has quickly became near and dear to my heart

Nice video!

I grew up fishing that river (started in the late 80-early 90’s) and was taught by my Dad and uncles who started fishing it back in the 60’s.

I certainly don’t fish it as much as I used to or as much as I’d like, but that river will forever hold a special place in my heart and soul for my whole life. I’m trying to make more time to get over there more, but with little kids, my time is limited!

A lot has changed over the years since I’ve been going up. I was brought up in the old-school style of fishing the river (a now often degraded and frowned upon way of fishing it). Hike up river a few miles from your vehicle/campground and spend the day working your way down the river drifting bait/yarn on a flyrod strung with mono spun on a classic Martin multiplier reel. Now it seems that way of fishing is a dying relic of the past. Fly fisherman rule the roost. Common river courtesy is a thing of the past, too. A guy never jumped into the river in front of someone, now it’s a commonplace.

Seems the runs are decent the last few years, but I’ll never forget the the runs from around 2004-2007’ish. Those were Epic! Multiple 26″+ fish/day! Landed a 28″ brown and a 28″ steelhead on the same weekend in 2006. Watched my uncle loose a 10+lb steelie that same weekend, too. Even my Dad commented back then that these were the best years he’d ever seen on the river in his time.

Looking forward to this spring! Definitely planning on getting a few days out there as long as the rivers not blowing out.

Nice video!

MplsOutdoors

Fishing soft beads has been the most effective technique for me. Pink being my best color.

I go out there a couple times a year. Love it there, except for the crowds and my lack of fish catching ability. Have yet to hook up with a nice steelie. I’ll just keep on trying. Beautiful place.

MplsOutdoors

Haha there are some guys that turn their nose up to anything other than fishing nymphs on a fly rod. Spinning gear is simply more effective, you are able to cover so much more water so much faster

Ask the guys with fly rods what kind of bobbers they are using. They love it when guys call their strike indicators bobbers. A spinning rod is far more effective than using a fly rod unless you’re fishing the fast water IMO. They just don’t look as cool.

The brule is a cool river. Lots of history. There are better rivers for putting up big numbers of steelhead but you can’t beat the beauty of the brule.

mwal
    Rosemount,MN

Been fishing Brule since 1977. Used Martin 72 and 10lb maxima chameleon line to either spawn bags or cut spoonge soaked in melted vaseline with anise oil. In fall we used flatfish. The pressure back then was double or more of what it is now. I now use centerpin and spinning rods with floats with beads or micro jigs and waxies. I do occasionally use my 7 wt and nymphs using thingamabobber floats. Back in 70’s it was literally shoulder to shoulder synchronized drifting. Jack and Edna’s used to trade spawn skeins for 6 packs as the demand for spawn was so high. We would find hens with bellies slit and eggs gone my brother and I would pick em up and keep em.there were people with bonfires everywhere as well. The Brule is a special place
    Mwal

DeRangedFishinguy
    Up Nort’

Been fishing Brule since 1977. Used Martin 72 and 10lb maxima chameleon line to either spawn bags or cut spoonge soaked in melted vaseline with anise oil. In fall we used flatfish. The pressure back then was double or more of what it is now. I now use centerpin and spinning rods with floats with beads or micro jigs and waxies. I do occasionally use my 7 wt and nymphs using thingamabobber floats. Back in 70’s it was literally shoulder to shoulder synchronized drifting. Jack and Edna’s used to trade spawn skeins for 6 packs as the demand for spawn was so high. We would find hens with bellies slit and eggs gone my brother and I would pick em up and keep em.there were people with bonfires everywhere as well. The Brule is a special place
    Mwal

Do ya remember the “green hats”? My dad and uncles all wore green wool fishing hats.

Never heard of the cut sponge concoction. I used to tie dozens of spawn bags every year but haven’t in a long time. I pretty much run yarn exclusively, but always have a box of crawlers in my vest if fish are super negative. (Yeah, I’m a worm dunker… sue me! ;)

mwal
    Rosemount,MN

Yep sponge. Yarn was just brought to Duluth by Jim Kuetin of Jim’s bait after he learned technique in Oregon. Its use spread quickly

Mwal

MplsOutdoors

Wow those are some old techniques! Love hearing about it. Floats on spinning gear with soft beads for me. What a special river it is, really cool hearing everyone thats been going up there for forever.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mwal wrote:</div>
    Mwal

Do ya remember the “green hats”? My dad and uncles all wore green wool fishing hats.

Never heard of the cut sponge concoction. I used to tie dozens of spawn bags every year but haven’t in a long time. I pretty much run yarn exclusively, but always have a box of crawlers in my vest if fish are super negative. (Yeah, I’m a worm dunker… sue me! ;)

mwal
    Rosemount,MN

Crawlers or smaller dew worms work. It pays to be versatile

Bass Pundit
    8m S. of Platte/Sullivan Lakes, Minnesocold

I went there two or three times in the early 2000’s in Fall seeking Salmon. Saw very few fish trout or salmon except around the weir area. Had a couple of fish on. Didn’t land or see the ones I had on. I gave up and focused my attention on driving to Racine/Kenosha. Haven’t fished for Salmon since probably 2004. The Brule sure is beautiful. A fun river to canoe down as well with all the rapids.

MplsOutdoors

Have you fished out in Racine or Kenosha recently? I was actually thinking of heading there this weekend!

I went there two or three times in the early 2000’s in Fall seeking Salmon. Saw very few fish trout or salmon except around the weir area. Had a couple of fish on. Didn’t land or see the ones I had on. I gave up and focused my attention on driving to Racine/Kenosha. Haven’t fished for Salmon since probably 2004. The Brule sure is beautiful. A fun river to canoe down as well with all the rapids.

genegr
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Alright, Saturday is the big start. Correct? I’ve scoped it out a bit and still more confused than before. Stopped and talked to Hayward fly shop and he’s all in with fishing nymphs on the bottom and plan on loosing a bunch. Is that a good place to start this venture? Of coarse the van will have plan B and C ready to go.

Thanks

Ike Sell

Love that river as much as some of my favs in Colorado… Blue, Ark and Fryingpan. I’m not enough of an expert to figure out the best approach for each stream. Ya I read about them a lot but there is no substitute to on the water knowledge. I’ve hired a guide on each and learned enough to go it alone. I recommend Brian Porter for the Brûlée.

Congrats on the multi fish day. They seem to happen every once in a while for me. I’d say 75% of the days are fish free for me. And yes, weekdays are best if you can do that. Love it in the fall when the colors are peaking.

Attachments:
    1. 362409D5-8D66-4E02-8035-7EF7C8298FC9.jpeg

Jay Tegeder

I only made it to the Brule once last Fall but I caught a nice fresh chrome Steelhead. I started fishing the historic river in September of 1978 when I was 20 years old. I’ve put my foot steps down on those centuries old river trails going on 43 years. I’ve gotten older along the way and the river has changed a few times since then due to blowouts after heavy rains. One thing I’ve noticed is the run seems to start later in the Fall now. Here’s my chromer from last October.

Attachments:
    1. 1006201355b_HDR-scaled.jpg

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.