Browning trail cam

• rkd-jim
    Fountain City, WI.

I placed my Browning trail cam on my newly planted food plot on May 21 and took the card out today June 30th and had an amazing 4034 pictures!! Only a couple dozen pics of deer, the same with coon and a few turkeys. I could watch my food plot grow in 3-5 minute intervals though!! What causes the constant triggers with nothing there? Very few night pics. Possibly weeds moving that grew up in front of the camera in the past 5 weeks when the temp rises during the day? Frustrating…..

Johnie Birkel
    South metro

I have a few chepo wild game cams. I don’t know if it’s the weeds or the temps, but they are horrible in the summer. For some reason once it gets cold they are ok.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Birds, bats?

fishingchallenged

I’ve had the same problem with my Browning. Stealths and Moultrie have been solid with not false triggers. For me, I have concluded it’s been a combination of close grass movement and sometimes shadows moving. Both from windy conditions.

riverruns
    Inactive

Jim, that’s not uncommon. I had a camera out for the last 8 days and pulled the chip today. 505 pictures. Most were pictures of the same deer. sad

I get spans off pictures with nothing on, but if you look at the pictures they are during the same time frame.

Shadows play a lot into this. It gets better as the year goes on.

I have Moultrie cameras and they are pretty good. Shadows and sunrises or sunsets will also get you.

catchindeers54
    Anoka county

I’ve got a Bushnell camera and get the same thing. Seems like once the weeds start blowing in the wind I can get a great timelapse of the wind blowing. Also, it seems like the shadows have an effect sometimes as well. There was times I have had it out and had a pic every 15 seconds for hours and hours on end.

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

I’ve had false triggers (or non animal triggers) in both Browning and Bushnell. Even in the winter when the snow pack should have minimized grass/foliage related triggers.

I haven’t ruled out thermal issues or shadowing as the story always seems to be the same regardless of the time of year: Rarely at night or when overcast. The window of maximum false triggers always seems to be during higher sun angles (commonly early afternoon) on sunny to partly cloudy days. It seems to get better when the leaf canopy is fully developed but I will still see false triggers if there is direct sunlight on the camera field of view.

whitetails4ever
    Rochester, MN

Change the sensitivity to the lowest setting. This has worked for me on Brownings and Coverts.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Tegg and I have discussed this quite a bit as we both have older Bushnell cameras that produce piles of false triggers at certain times of year. I think he’s right, the false triggers seem to occur most often in the afternoons in areas where there are strong shadows. I think uneven heating of the ground in front of the camera has something to do with it.

Regardless, there are several things to try. First, change the camera location and the direction it faces. IMO, the location that produced the least false triggers is an area where the camera was in the same “light” as the subject. For example, on a food plot, put the camera out in the sunlight where the deer are, not in the shade on the side of the plot shooting out into the sun.

Also, as suggested, change the sensitivity settings. I don’t recall what the settings allowed me to do on the Browning cam, but I know the Bushnell have a “low” sensitivity setting for the trigger. I found this helped, but did not eliminate the issue on the Bushnell cams.

As far as cams that produce almost no false triggers, the best cam I have is the Bushnell Essential E2. I also have a Browning Command Ops cam that produces very few false triggers, but the image quality of the Browning can’t hold a candle to the quality of the Bushnell.

Grouse

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.