Brisket?

• SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

Anyone like beef brisket? Just came out of the smoker and resting.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

She’s a beaut! I love brisket! Got a batch of ribs ready for tomorrow!

bigpike

I love it. My dad use to make it every year for Christmas with a rich brisket gravey. Now it seems like an awfully expensive cut compared to what it used to be priced at – a throw away cut. Sometimes the fat layer is too thick so you pay for that also, sorry to rant. It looks great!

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

After allowing a suitable rest, I just sampled and my mouth had a foodgasm. This was a Sam’s Club Choice grade brisket and started at just under 17 pounds. I was very happy to only have to cut off a couple pounds of fat cap if that. I injected it with a beef based injection and smoked for 14 hours at 235. Finish temp on the brisket was 192.

Attachments:
    1. capdown3.jpg

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Yum! Done correctly, brisket I’d delicious. Nice work.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Very nice hit Dave! Loosing 15% to cut off waste +/- that was a great selection for a the cut! You say that was a choice cut and not prime? All the better!

Just a bit off subject here now. With Patty in the upcoming time zone, wait until just after and gobble up some discounted corned beefs! Points or flats no matter and change up the rub for Pastrami (google is your friend here) and smoke them!!!

Wholey Smokes, slather me in mustard, Mayo and pass the Rye Bread! Crap is that good!! (I got a 1/2 pound left)

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

Denny, Winco Foods sells a corned beef made from eye of round that makes a wonderful pastrami. I prefer it to flats by a long shot when points are difficult to find.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Sams club will sell points and flats that are packaged as corned beef too. I was just trying to send out a heads up for others. I took approx. 40 pounds of prime brisket and put it into a brine last fall to corn my own, then made pastrami out of 1/2 of it and boiled the other 1/2. Sliced it all up and vac bagged it into 1/2 week portions. I used Guinness Draft to boil it in, not bad but I lost the pickling flavors that I guess I find attractive in corned beef.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

When I buy typical corned beef, I put the little seasoning package in the coffee grinder to use as part of my rub.

jerrj01
    Hudson, WI

Since it is usually my wife and I, we tend to have a lot left over so we food saver and freeze it. It’s almost as good as fresh out of the smoker and it is very convenient. It really saves well, but never stays in the freezer long.

hl&sinker
    Inactive
    north fowl

Brisket looks great!!
    I scored on a brisket at wallmart at $2.12 a pound last weekend, it was just past the sell date. Smoked er up for 10 hours and it turned out great. Love brisket, though, after smoking a chuck roll I would go the chuck roll route again.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Dave,
    Smoking a “corned beef” = a fo-pastrami
    Boiling a “corned beef” = corned beef

Would you agree?

“March 6, 2016 at 12:13 pm#1604678
    When I buy typical corned beef, I put the little seasoning package in the coffee grinder to use as part of my rub.”

So what do you use the little seasoning package for in a rub, pastrami?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.