Breaking down a new lake!

• Jordan Halvorson

How do you guys break open a new lake? I’m tired of catching walleyes by accident and want to make it a habit.

I’m thinking look for “fishy” structure On the map, marking fish, and work through different presentations.

Is there a system or convention for how to do this?

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Nothing replaces years of experience, but you’ve asked one of the best questions I’ve read in a while.

First is understanding that body of water. What is the “generic” pattern in relationship to time of year, food source, spawn, moon phase,….and so on. Is it a shallow basin or deep basin? Suspend, dense weed mats, flow age/current.

Once you piece together those parts, break the water down to micro areas of suitable habitat. Example – early post spawn, deep basin with a weed flat very close to a gravel spawning area. Right after spawn, walleyes will move to the greenest weeds in the area and feed heavily. When the major or minor times line up with sunset or shortly after, slaughter fest! Don’t hesitate to rip lipless baits right through the weeds. Or if your limited to daylight times, you may need to slow down and be more methodical. Pitch ringworms to all the holes in the weeds.

For late post spawn, those fish may be transitioning the food source and feeding along rock piles. Then split your time on deeper weed line edges and rock humps. If you can dial me n schools and their movements, you’ll identify if they come out of deep water or weeds to feed on rock or sand flats… I always try to figure out where they came from and where they are going. Again, break the water down to the smallest possible suitable habitat for your conditions.

Personally I think shallow basin with limited to no substance of structure is the most difficult. Often they will school and roam. Those tend to be trolling because you need to cover a lot of water to stumble onto them or identify the very limited structure that exists

Jordan Halvorson

Nothing replaces years of experience, but you’ve asked one of the best questions I’ve read in a while.

First is understanding that body of water. What is the “generic” pattern in relationship to time of year, food source, spawn, moon phase,….and so on. Is it a shallow basin or deep basin? Suspend, dense weed mats, flow age/current.

Once you piece together those parts, break the water down to micro areas of suitable habitat. Example – early post spawn, deep basin with a weed flat very close to a gravel spawning area. Right after spawn, <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>walleyes will move to the greenest weeds in the area and feed heavily. When the major or minor times line up with sunset or shortly after, slaughter fest! Don’t hesitate to rip lipless baits right through the weeds. Or if your limited to daylight times, you may need to slow down and be more methodical. Pitch ringworms to all the holes in the weeds.

For late post spawn, those fish may be transitioning the food source and feeding along rock piles. Then split your time on deeper weed line edges and rock humps. If you can dial me n schools and their movements, you’ll identify if they come out of deep water or weeds to feed on rock or sand flats… I always try to figure out where they came from and where they are going. Again, break the water down to the smallest possible suitable habitat for your conditions.

Personally I think shallow basin with limited to no substance of structure is the most difficult. Often they will school and roam. Those tend to be trolling because you need to cover a lot of water to stumble onto them or identify the very limited structure that exists

I will research walleye patterns more, I believe that is a huge piece of the puzzle that I am missing. When I find some good resources, I will share them here!

I have a pretty good idea of how to read maps and understand what the lines mean. Not as good of an idea of how walleyes specifically utilize said structure. I think understanding their behavior more will help me a lot with that.

I’m not afraid to fish in the weeds, move around, and switch baits. So that’s a bonus I guess

For sake of even having a place to start…
    Is it reasonable to start shallow, and on good structure, pitching with a jig and a minnow, move to a crank, then as I move out/get to more open water/weed line scenarios start with the different “cover water” presentations such as lindys, bottom bouncers, spinner ect type rigs?

I’m starting to believe that most guys start with their favorites and just keep moving down until they find one that works, and then tune it in from there.

Sometimes I feel like a woodpecker in a petrified Forrest. Just keeping busy and looking for opportunities!

Jordan Halvorson

Took the girlfriend out this weekend to some lakes that I know well. Structure wise, not so well walleye wise.

Started shallow casting into new weeds with a jig and a minnow and a few crank baits. No luck. 8-9 ft casting to shore. Water temp was 62-63

Moved out to the “soft” weed edge, where thick goes to thinner grassier weeds. Pulled spinners over em jigs and cranks as well.

Moved out to the edge of the sparse weeds where it really dies off. Put on a bottom bouncer and a spinner. Started finding some big low Marks. Kept at em changing colors and presentations until we put some fish in the boat.

On this lake sandy points(15.5 is ft) that pointed to the deepest water in the lake (25ft) were where we found fish.

Gold spinner. 4ft leader. And half a crawler pulled at 1.1 mph were the ticket. Just inside the sparse weeds.

Battled some northerns, and put a few eater eyes in the well. Made for a good weekend. Excited to figure out next weekend on a new lake!

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Good job putting the puzzle together.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Going to the same lake and keeping notes will help you understand their movement. You found them this weekend, now with a weather change go back and find them again. Keep this up and with your notes you will begin to put the picture together.

Next find a similar lake and see if your knowledge pays off. Keep expanding the knowledge base.

In Walleye fishing you can fish the traditional community spots or you can become a hunter.

Good luck and have fun.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.