Breakfast sausage

• catmando
    wis

I thought I read somewhere,about using Jimmy Dean as a ingredient, for a breakfast sausage,venison mixture. Any one have knowledge? Thks DK.

Kevin

My Dad does this and it is good.

He will also mix ground venison and jimmy dean for chili

Alagnak Pete
    Lakeville

Ground veni mixed with breakfast sausage is great- meatballs, sloppy j’s, burgers, meatloaf, chili as mentioned. But instead of buying super fatty jimmy d- if you have the means to ground your venison you might as well ground a couple .99 cents a pound pork shoulders and get yourself a breakfast seasoning mix and make a batch of your own for cheap. Bulk pork sausage like that is about the easiest thing to make there is.

beardly
    Hastings, Mn

I have done some recipe’s from online that is supposed to be a copy of what is actually used to make jimmy dean and it never turns out the same. I use ground venison and pork and the flavor of the spice isn’t there. Maybe I just have to get a breakfast seasoning mix as Pete states.

blank

Ground veni mixed with breakfast sausage is great- meatballs, sloppy j’s, burgers, meatloaf, chili as mentioned. But instead of buying super fatty jimmy d- if you have the means to ground your venison you might as well ground a couple .99 cents a pound pork shoulders and get yourself a breakfast seasoning mix and make a batch of your own for cheap. Bulk pork sausage like that is about the easiest thing to make there is.

Agreed. Its so simple, and tastes great.

Alagnak Pete
    Lakeville

Most of us are used to the taste of 100% pork in breakfast sausage so I agree with the venison/pork mix for breakfast sausage NOT tasting the same and many people don’t like it as much (I do, but the family doesn’t). 5-10% veni in there most people won’t notice but if you do 50/50 it’s not going to be what you are used to. I actually don’t use any venison in my mix and keep the ground venison bags frozen on thier own, and ground pork breakfast sausage on it’s own. I then take out some of each and mix msyself in the ratio I want for some of these items mentioned I use it for to cook with. Links below to my two favorite breakfast spice mixes. Get pork on sale and you have #25 done for around $30! Dirt cheap, bye bye Jimmy D. Taste test a patty after you mix and you want more heat or are used to more of this or that spice than add a little more, mix, and try another patty until you get what YOU want it to be.

https://www.amazon.com/Hi-Mountain-Prairie-Breakfast-Seasoning/dp/B0075D2B4S/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1542642483&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=prairie+sage+blend+breakfast+sausage

https://www.waltonsinc.com/holly-regular-pork-sausage-1-best-seller

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

The seasoning first seasoning blend that Alagnak Pete has linked here makes a super sausage blend for pork breakfast sausage. With any amount of ground venison in it I tend to not care for it.

I’m doing 25 pounds of the Walton’s holly blend after I get the brats finished up. I have the seasonings right next to the desk where I’m typing. This makes a superb sausage. I pack this in one pound chubs and slice it frozen just like Jimmy Deans.

If I grind venison for anything it better be used in a sausage like summer sausage, ring bologna or hot dogs or it will just sit in the freezer. I am not a fan of ground venison and can’t stand it in chili or spaghetti sauce. I believe the more venison is handled the gamier it gets.

catmando
    wis

Thanks guy’s, I got myself a meat grinder and a smoker, going try this meat business . Thks again for the information! DK.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Thanks guy’s, I got myself a meat grinder and a smoker, going try this meat business .

Best advice I can offer on the grinding is to keep everything CLEAN. You’ll do fine.

blank

Everyone has their own personal tastes, but two weeks ago I made some sausage using the Hi Mountain brand of seasoning like Alagnak Pete posted but in the original flavor rather than the prairie sage. I used venison and pork trimmings that my brother had from getting a hog butchered, with about a 80:20 ratio of venison to pork. My mom cooked some up for myself and her one morning and she thought it was good. Good enough that she even cooked some more up for just herself a couple days later so I think that’s really saying something.

But again, everyone has their own tastes. You never know unless you try!

catmando
    wis

you are right Mr Tom i never washed so much stuff ever,the sausage turned out great , now i’am going to try some salmon . thks

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Hey Cat,
    What did ya get for a grinder and smoker?

Bill Sackenreuter
    Devils Lake ND

I use Leggs old plantation,pork sausage seasoning,blend #10,this has some sage taste to it,which I like,but they also have an NS blend which is no sage.#10 is probly my favorite after years of making sausage.
    I prefer my patty sausage a 50/50 blend of deer and pork over all pork,but make both and seasoning is good in both varietys.
    Definetley cooked in electric frypan at 350 .

catmando
    wis

I bought a master built 30 digital temp electric smoker, and a STX TurboForce 2, 4000 ,air cooled grinder. The grinders a beast, had to go to FF to get a 2 inch stuffing horn,those smaller tubes were not great for summer sausage and bagging hamburger. thks again.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

catmando….

Do yourself a favor and buy extra knives for as many plates came with the grinder. Match a knife to a plate and keep those “matched sets” as a unit. Clean them together so they stay as a unit and store them as such. Each plate/knife will develop its own pattern or wear and the knives/plates will last much longer dedicated like this.

catmando
    wis

Thanks Tom will do . Took some of the loose summer sausage and fried it up, put it on a pizza, and put some in a casserole. I have to shoot another deer . Thks again . DK.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Cat, Grinder looks impressive for the money!

404 ERROR
    MN

Missed this thread.

I do exactly that, mix a little jimmy dean in with my venison for breakfast sausage. I also pour a little bacon fat in while I’m mixing. Some of the best breakfast sausage I’ve ever had. Always add extra sage, garlic, onion powder and a dash of sugar.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Cat, Grinder looks impressive for the money!

No kidding. What size of head does it have? #8, #12?

catmando
    wis

It’s a 12 Tom , comes with a foot pedal,i think made a great buy .

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

No doubt catman. On one hand I’m happy with my #8 but on the other I wish I’d have done the #12. The #8 Big Bite I got is more than enough for what I do. I quit doing meat for everyone else.

I will make his prediction now though….you’ve likely set a hook in your free time and if you get deer you’re going to experience some fine food stuffs in the future.

I picked up an electronic 00 pound scale that zeros for tare weight and is maybe the best secondary purchase I made. $50.00 If you have some extra jing after the holidays I suggest getting one. Turn it, set the lug on and hit the tare button, then add meat until you have what you need. Fast, simple and very exact. I used to bag my meat and weigh it with a digital fish scale. I did some comparative weighing between the two when I was weighing meat for batching and would have liked that fish scale to have been used on my fish during tourney weigh-ins….lol….not at all accurate. I weigh a 2, a 5 and a ten pound certified weight using both and lets just say my sausage batches until this year were off a bit. The new scale was spot on the mark with each certified weight.

catmando
    wis

Thanks Tom, I have a digital rapala scale I won in some tournament , but your right , what good is recipe, if you don’t know your ingredients. I checked mine ,it was pretty right on.but will keep a eye on it. Thks DK

joe_the_fisher
    Wisconsin Dells WI

I use Backwoods breakfast sausage made by LEM. It taste pretty darn good. Mix 50/50 venison and pork and add the seasoning.got it at Gander outdoors.

Attachments:
    1. 15434608701031770229098.jpg

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.