Bread consumption

• Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Maybe not the best place for this but………..

I would like to cut down on the amount of store bought bread I eat. But, I’m not looking to make my own either.
    I eat lots of bread. I enjoy toast with peanut butter and eat all kinds of sandwiches. Funny thing is I hardly ever have bread for dinner (supper). I will slap several sandwiches together during the day if I want something quick & easy to eat. Is there a healthier substitute or do I just need to quit bread altogether? Example: would a English Muffin be better then toast?

Thanks

slowpoke
    Perham Mn

If you have Amish living in your area you could buy from them. Very tasty baked goods. The best thing about it is they don’t use any preservatives. But they use lots of lard and real butter to bake with. All bread has carbs some more som less. So if you are diabetic like me you have to really watch it, or if you want to lose weight. Good Luck

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Bread should be 3 basic ingredients. Flour, water and salt. Milk, butter (fats) and sugar can be added to achieve different textures. Beyond those 5 or 6 ingredients, anything else on the ingredient label really isn’t food and doesn’t belong in the bread unless they are real flavorings like spices. Any bread in your grocery store will likely have no less than 15 ingredients.

A high carb intake with constant snacking can cause weight gain and blood sugar problems and can lead to diabetes.

Sourdough and sprouted grain bread have evidence they are much friendlier to your body and much more nutritious. The grocery store bread with all the additives can be hard on your digestive system and end up being empty carbs. Your body needs the micronutrients as much as the calories.

Why are you looking to cut down on bread?

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Tortillas? Make a roll up or wrap instead of sandwich.

Brad Dimond

read should be 3 basic ingredients. Flour, water and salt. Milk, butter (fats) and sugar can be added to achieve different textur

Matt – you left out a leavening agent such as yeast, baking powder, baking soda, etc. Agreed on other ingredients, only add natural to enhance flavor or texture.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

A true sourdough bread consists of flour water and salt. Nothing else. The yeast and bacteria is naturally occurring in the flour.

Store bought and commercial yeasts don’t provide the bread enough time to ferment leaving you with bread that is difficult to digest.

Quick breads consisting of leavening ingredients don’t ferment at all so your left with the same difficult to digest food.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

i am considered a diabetic. they told me to stay away from white bread. Sara LEE is the bread brand we buy that has a lower carb count per slice. anything thats not a white bread, whole wheat type breads. i dont eat alot of bread per say but thats what we do.

if your cutting back on bread also be aware of noodles and potatoes!!!!! starchy foods.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

We make and buy nothing but whole wheat or something like 7 grain breads.

And…if you enjoy bland flatbreads, about as thin as a dry cracker, don’t use yeast, or baking powder, or sugar…just flour, salt and water. There’s not enough naturally occurring yeast in today’s processed flour of any kind to raise a bread and any bacteria won’t make the grade either. Sourdough starters begin as flour, water, sugar and yeast. Sourdough breads will likely need yeast to get any kind of loaf from the starter

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Buy from a local bakery instead of the usual brands in a grocery store.
    When you can have a loaf of bread in the house for three weeks and there’s no mold on it it’s just plain not good for you.

Get to know a local baker and order exactly what you prefer.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Tom, you must have missed my sourdough thread. My starter is nothing but flour and water. My white sandwich bread is only flour, water, milk, sugar and butter. That’s it.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

When you can have a loaf of bread in the house for three weeks and there’s no mold on it it’s just plain not good for you.

If mold won’t eat it, neither will I.

tim hurley

Those empty carbs are bad its not the preservatives as much. I LOVE bread, you are on the right track to want to limit your intake.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

My co worker cut bread out of his diet and lost 40 pounds.

The jagermeister

I hear ya! Nothing better than good bread!! Nice crusty italian bread baked in a brick oven…could eat a loaf by myself….but you do need to limit it…I will make a reccomendation I have been on a weight loss program that allows me 4 slices a day of this multigrain bread. Its called “Dave’s Killer Bread” I was skeptical, this stuff is good. Giant food markets and Costco carry it, I am down 27 lbs in 6 months, not necesarily because of the bread but its part of the program.. Good Luck!!

shockers
    Rochester

One thing to keep in mind with bread is the type of bread. White, overly refined bread is good at times. But nutritionally…not super great. And it spikes your blood sugar. The more ‘ground up’ the carbs/fiber is, the less ‘good’. One of my doctor colleagues once explained it to me this way: Try to light a piece of wood on fire. You eventually could maybe, but it’d take a while. Now grind that piece of wood up into sawdust and see if you can start the sawdust on fire. Poof. Same deal with heavily refined fiber etc. in your bloodstream. Quick burn = not so good. Slow burn = better.

All this said…there’s a time and place for all types of bread.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

My favorite for store bought of the shelf is SaraLee Honey Wheat, you could try the Great Harvest Bread Co. bread OMG to die for. Bad thing is they only make certain breads on specific days they carry nothing over into the next day.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

When I am dieting, honey wheat sandwich thins are only 100 calories and low carb tortillas are just 4 carbs. I mix using those for my sandwiches. For toast, I use Ezekiel bread.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I work right next door to a bread manufacture. Some days the bread smell drives me crazy. I’m not a big bread fan at all, but I love the smell of it. I’m sure smelling it all day drives true bread lovers crazy.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

We buy the frozen bread dough and put it in a bread pan most of the day until its the right size to bake. Seems healthier but it has most of the same sh*t ingredients as store bought white. It’s small though and we eat the whole loaf as opposed to large store bought loaves that get old before we finish them and we waste too much. I dont eat as much bread as I used to but I eat it about every day.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Tom, you must have missed my sourdough thread. My starter is nothing but flour and water. My white sandwich bread is only flour, water, milk, sugar and butter. That’s it.

I must have Matt.

One thing to keep in mind with bread is the type of bread. White, overly refined bread is good at times. But nutritionally…not super great. …there’s a time and place for all types of bread.

Sourdough bread puts a lot of essential nutrients in you and is one reason its good for us. But plain whole wheat or multi-grain whole wheat does a great job of this too. We never see white bread here.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.