Gull Lake Update – 5/23/05

• stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Hey everyone! Just got back from my annual spring trip to Gull Lake and I have to say that you guys on the opener just missed it this year. In fact, I almost missed it too but I think this week or coming weekend should provide some very good fishing.

Shiners are still getting the most action with the occassional leech getting bit. LOTS of “smalleyes” but the group had about 6-9 25+inch eyes come to the boat. 2 nice break offs were reported too.

The night crank bite is developing. The baitfish are FINALLY starting to move in more shallow and the fish are following them as well. I got more bites on a Smithwick Suspending Rattlin’ Rogue in Clown than anything else I tried. I also had some success with a white/red head Lil’ Ripper from Reef Runner. Wally Divers and Wally Minnows had limited encounters for me. For the first time in my life, Rapalas skunked out on me. I’m sure that’ll fix this week!

I was finding my crank bite in areas near steep drops with traditional feeding areas, in about 14 to 22 feet of water. Again, this should shallow up soon! I was marking fish Saturday night as far up as 9′.

Water temp was 52-53 when I left Sunday and should continue to warm some.

I also found pike to be very active and more shallow in their activities than the ‘eyes were. Just a side note in case it means anything to anyone that frequents the lake.

I don’t have my camera on me so I’ll try to put up a couple of picks in the next day or so.

Good fishing everyone!

AdamJohnson
    Brainerd, MN.

Hey Stillakid,

How are you rigging those cranks? Bottom bouncer, three-way rig, something else?

I have been getting quite a few walleyes out of Gull fishing a jig tipped with a shiner. 22 to 29 feet has been the best for me. I have not tried fishing after dark, however.

Good luck.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

I’m just long lining with 10# mono. I ranged from 80′ to 130′ and either put on a deep diver, suspending medium, or floating shallow crank. The floaters without a good diving lip really didn’t do much beyond small pike, which I figure to have been suspended somewhere nearby and on the hunt. You know how Gull is……. plenty of weeded breaklines for those pike to patrol!

If you go crankin’, expect to be quiet until the sun falls behind the tree line. Grassy will get hot the minute the shiners come in from the deep and will make for EXCELLENT trolling………’til the weeds get nuts. There’s a good night bite going along the white house bar and in the SW areas that have long, predictable breaklines. I never did get up to the Hayfield or out to FlagPole. I was on the other end of the lake and doing well enough to stay put.

I’ve heard fair successes coming from Sandy Point and Twin Tower too. No talk of Grassy, A-frame, Hayfield, Bowtie, or anything on Round.

Everyday I was there (Wed-Sun) things looked more and more favorable for a good crank bite. Each day produced more numbers and the number of quality fish boated was on the rise as well. If you’re going in before dark, you’re really missing out on some of the best fishing Gull has to offer. Try some areas until 11pm. When it’s going, it’s HOT! Plus, little to no competition from recreational traffic or anglers.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.