Gull for opener

• MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

I am planning to fish Gull for the opener this year but have never fished walleyes on Gull. Any tips on what , where, etc?

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Mike,

You are choosing a very busy lake to try on opener but here it goes:

Grass point, north section of Gull.

The channel area between Gull and Upper Gull.

The channel area between gull and Margaret.

The channel area between Round lake and Gull.

Polks flat by Hole in the Day

If you can slide thru the channel and into Round lake, then just join the flotilla.

Lindy rigs and Shiners or Redtails work good.

I hope that helps for starting spots. If you want or need more info just give me a PM.

Ron

MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

Thanks Ron. I am actually going as an invited guest and haven’t actually fished a Mn opener for a few years. Should be a good time. The fishing will just be a bonus.

iceman
    Staples/Brainerd,Mn

also try the north rock humps or in front of maddens resort thats where i’ll be at..

mkanderle

All the areas Slider mentioned are good, the only problem is the crowd on opener. Avoid using a net if at all possible, otherwise you’ll be playing bumper boats in no time!
    There’s also a nice sunken island between grassy and Grandview that’s a little harder to find, and gets less pressure that first morning. 14ft surrounded by 40…find it and you’ll be in business.

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Pimpwitalimp,

SSSHHHHH

I really like the channel to Round if you are nice you can walk from boat to boat.
    Lots of little areas like that on Gull, you just need to find them.

Ron

TomHerman

If it were me and my only choice was to fish Gull, I’d party Friday night (or maybe not party..lol), sleep in and fish from 7pm till Midnight.

Troll floating raps along Grassy in 5-8 FOW or along any good break where the wind is blowing into.

Less people and usually more fish.

Good Luck.

ranger777
    OtterTail Cty/Minnetrista

Slider,
    The channel from Round to Gull is usually extremely shallow. Do you fish just outside the channel on the Gull side? The Round side of the channel is shallow for a few hundred yards.
    I’ve had good success in the north channels, but other folks are right, there will be a lot of pressure on the opener. The night bite on this lake is worth trying.
    Anyone have good success on the lower end of the lake? I will most likely be focusing on the midlake/off shore structure to avoid bumber to bumber boats.
    Where do people target fish on Round lake?

tight lines.

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

I have spent alot of time on Gull. When you see a pile of boats. Go the other way! It can be worse than fishing on tonka. If somone thinks you had a bite there all over you! There is plenty of great water to fish. Find spots with out boats.

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

When I was a teenager we would go out on opener on Gull with my dads ranger and never fish. We would get outside a group of boats and pretend to land a fish with the net. Next thing you know every boat in the group would be sliding out to us. We would be in like 40+ feet of water. It was fun for a few hours.
    The only lake that I know that is worse is the Whitefish chain.
    Ron

sportland

Hi Mike, nice job at Big Stone- so close! My best advice is to just fish the wind. Both Gull and Round should be good on the first weekend. I always like to find shallow weedlines and drag a Lindy rig and shiner or a jig and shiner. We also catch quite a few fish trolling raps on the shallow edges. Stop in and say hi again. We will be giving away free cookies to help anglers make it through the weekend.

Jason Erlandson
    [email protected]

Dave’s Sportland Bait and Tackle
    http://www.sportlandbait.com
    Nisswa MN
    218-963-2401

MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

I will stop in Jason. Got to get bait somewhere, right?

ranger777
    OtterTail Cty/Minnetrista

mmm… Cookies….
    I will stop-in and grab some bait and cookies. I’m guessing Koeps down the road will be packed and yes, over priced as usual.
    See you sat. morning!

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

Keops Hasn’t been the same since Duke passed and the boys sold it.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.