Brainerd area turnover

• nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

What’s the usual timing on some of the larger lakes for those in the know? Specifically Pelican. Heading up first week in October for a few days and clueless, trying to put together a plan B,C if needed.

TIA Nick, toast

hottoddytipup
    Crystal

Hi,

We have a place on Pelican; I have been fishing it hard since the age of 14 or so. If you are looking for walleyes, you had better be on your spot before the sun comes up and after it goes down. I think I have caught four or five walleye from 9-3. But then again I usually switch it up and go chase bass during those times.

Got a little off topic there.

In terms of turnover, since this like is so deep and irregular, I have not noticed it making much of a difference. I had TOW temperatures or 65-68 last weekend if that helps.

I have done some fishing on Round and Gull this summer too. I have done well for eyes and pike on Round. Round is a pretty easy place to fish, PM me if you want some tips.

PS: If you need a good rock bass spot, I got one for you on North Long.

Thanks

Attachments:
    1. 2015082995150555.jpg

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

HotToddy.

We have been fishing Pelican in April and July for the last 26 years with a few missed trip due to babies. Where is you place? We are usually at BPR.

FDR

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Idk if I can trust a guy who takes pics with rock bass whistling hah

Good stuff thanks for the reply. Seems I’ll be good to go, lots of water to choose from around there.

hottoddytipup
    Crystal

Technically, we are on Little Pelican across the road. Two min drive to the landing. There are a ton of little lakes that are real nice to fish up there especially if you are a bass guy.

In regards to the Rock Bass, after about the 50th one I had to document it.
    Ha

patk
    Nisswa, MN

I think Gull turned over right around the first of October last year.maybe a little later.

I remember having friends up and walleye was tough. Memory isn’t perfect on exact weekend.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Went to the cabin lake first north of Brainerd. Water was 63 last night then 60-61 this morning.

Crappies are on green weedy rockpiles about 8-12′. They move in and out, drift along slowly. Fatheads with skirted jigs worked for us.

Hog hunting eyes rest of day.

mwal
    Rosemount,MN

Turnover does not happen until surface water cools into the 50 degree range and continues till 39 degrees. According to an article on it.
    Here is what the MN DNR says
    “The key to this question is how water density varies with water temperature. Water is most dense (heaviest) at 39º F (4º C) and as temperature increases or decreases from 39º F, it becomes increasingly less dense (lighter). In summer and winter, lakes are maintained by climate in what is called a stratified condition. Less dense water is at the surface and more dense water is near the bottom.
    During late summer and autumn, air temperatures cool the surface water causing its density to increase. The heavier water sinks, forcing the lighter, less dense water to the surface. This continues until the water temperature at all depths reaches approximately 39º F. Because there is very little difference in density at this stage, the waters are easily mixed by the wind. The sinking action and mixing of the water by the wind results in the exchange of surface and bottom waters which is called “turnover.”
    During spring, the process reverses itself. This time ice melts, and surface waters warm and sink until the water temperature at all depths reaches approximately 39º F. The sinking combined with wind mixing causes spring “turnover.”

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Should mention as well the northern lights were out on some trolling runs last night. Was absolutely fantastic. The lights themselves were in and out, not to crazy but noticeable and has been years for me. Made the night, BC the zero eyes certainly didn’t. bawling

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.