Braided line ?

• M. Rowe

I am wondering a few things about braided line, both summer and winter lines. I put 6lb Suffix 832 on my summer reals for the first time last year. I also primarily used Sufix on my winter reals this year as well.

1. Do you need to change braided line every season?
    2. Do you always install a backer on a spinning reel? If so how many yards or feet and what is the best line to use? I would think something cheap?
    3. Do you always use a fluorocarbon leader or tie directly to the jig or lure?
    4. If you tie braid directly to the lure, what knot works best for braid?

I know, a few “loaded” questions,and I am sure a topic that has been brought up many times before, but I love getting opinions from others. Soon it will be time to get the summer gear in order!!

gixxer01
    Avon, MN

I’ve got 3 year old 832 on my reels and it has held up fine. I run a fluoro leader on all setups. No backing for me.

riverrat56
    New Ulm, MN

1. No, I change every 2, sometimes I flip it over onto another reel.

2. Yes, I like to use whatever old mono I have laying around. Mainly I use backing to help fill the spool so the amount varies. I use less braided line this way.

3. I’ll use a mono leader when jigging in clear water. But I avoid it if I don’t feel it will help get more bites.

4. Palomer knot is the quickest and easiest way to attach braid to terminal tackle

Trevor Ellingson
    Long Lake, MN

I don’t use much braid for ice so I can’t be of much help there. As far as open water, it is my primary choice.

1. I don’t change every season, just depends on the condition of the braid. I have braid that will be going on its 3rd season and don’t plan on changing it. For my bait casters, it also depend on what I’ll be using it for. Flipping/pitching and jig set ups generally get the new stuff first.

2. I always have a backing of whatever cheap mono I have laying around. There are some reels that are advertised as “braid ready”, I still feel that a mono backing helps prevent any slipping. It also allows you to fill up the spool for less $$. I usually will put 100 yrds of braid on, so put enough backing on to allow you to put enough braid on after. That amount will depend on the reel you have and the line you’re using.

3. I will use a flouro leader when fishing clear water or if the fish are finicky and i think the braid is spooking them.

4. Palomer knot

Mitch Harmston
    Menomonie WI

I use braid on all of my setups for every species as my main line. I seem to change line every 2-3 years but I also strip around 10′ of line alomost every outing, I do fish a lot of rock though. I don’t use backer most of the time but I probably should, would probably save some cash. For walleye/panfish/trout I always use a floro leader if they aren’t extremely aggressive, never have for Flatheads though. If I tie direct its hard to beat a Palomar. If I use a leader I’ll either connect with a spro power swivel or a uni-to-uni knot depending on the setup.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Some of the newer reels come with small strips of rubber on the spools to stop braid from slipping. Switched to berkley nanofil this winter. Does not freeze up nearly as fast as power pro or 832. Have used it into the upper teens for temps.

river rat randy
    Hager City WI

The ONLY time I change may Braids is when i am low on line. . . I have braids on some reels that are Years? Old. . . . I use a number different types of braids. . . 832 is what i use most. … rrr

M. Rowe

Wow, great info guys!

Love it!

rschmidty

Only change it every few years depending on condition. I actually just criss cross a rubber band on the reel before putting line on to keep the braid from slipping and works great.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I agree with the consensus. Back it with mono, change it basically when I’ve lost enough to affect casting.

I’ve also found my flouro lasts several seasons. I’ve never really found it to weaken. Nothing like monk which I replaced every year.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

I get rid of the braids that do not perform. The ones I like stay on like forever. I guess I don’t fish enough to get rid of the line.

If when the section of used line, fluffs up, it cut it off down to more fresh line.

fishdale

If when the section of used line, fluffs up, it cut it off down to more fresh line.

I like how you stated this. Fluffs up that’s a good one. I have lost some nice fish because I was too lazy to check/snip the line.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

#3 – open water. No for stained water. Yes if fish are finicky or clear water

#3 – Ice. Fluoro leader always

Other note for ice. Some days fish prefer the lure action from braid. Some days fish prefer the slower or more fluid movements that mono/co-poly puts on the lures. For panfish I have one of each ready on a given day.

joc
    Western and Central, NY

Not all braids are created equal. Sufix 832 is tops: no memory, doesn’t fray and cast great. I’ve used Spider line and Fireline not so hot. I always use a 12″ to 18″ fluorocarbon leader on the end between the braid and the bait. As for mono backing, of course this Sufix 832 is expensive and we don’t want it to slip on the spool as well.

TripleA
    Blaine

Braid lasts many years. Simply spool it from one reel to another and you have fresh braid on top. I always spool mono or flouro on spinning reels for backing, even on “braid ready” spools, as for baitcasters I don’t use backing as my reels have holes so I simply tie through them. The best knot for braid is the Palomar, it’s easy and very strong. I only use a leader of flouro on my long line setups. For bass fishing I tie direct. If its clear water finess I use 100% Flouro. Flipping/pitching I tie braid direct. Worming I usually tie direct with braid. I have found Suffix 832 in Green to be amazing, it’s all I will use.

huskerdu

As the Triple a said spin it on backwards lasts 2 times as long. I do it when fire line becomes fuzzy.

walleye216

Why all the love for 832? I tried it on one of my jigging rods and did not like it at all. What am I missing? I often try the new lines when they come out, but I always end up returning to Powerpro.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Why all the love for 832? I tried it on one of my jigging rods and did not like it at all. What am I missing? I often try the new lines when they come out, but I always end up returning to Powerpro.

X2, hated 832 when it was on the rod. If I do have braid on, PP gets the vote.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.