Braid downrigger line terminal connection?

• GoldWinger

Contemplating switching from stainless wire to braid downrigger line. Pros/cons? How to securely attach terminal clips. No probe, so no concerns there.

captddh
    Cannon Falls, MN

I wouldn’t take the time or expense to do it. Something about wire going thru the water is good for a bite. A lot of captains use wire dipsys instead of braid and and copper segments on boards instead of lead core. While I’ve not seen any science on it,…I’ve seen enough to have switched over myself.

mojogunter

If you have an electric downrigger the auto stop feature wouldn’t work with braid.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Everything I’ve ever read says that sstl is superior to braid. I can’t give you any first hand experience as to why but I’ve taken the advice and have been very happy with sstl.

trytoofish
    sw Mn.

two good reads on the subject of fishing with electricty are:

https://www.protroll.com/bb-introduction

The Book
    “Secrets of Fishing with Electricity” Paperback – 1989
    by Ollie Rode This book is out of print and hard to find. But it does show up on ebay once in a while.

Also some electric downriggers have a positive ion voltage adjustment where you set the voltage according to the species you are after. Braid will not allow the use of that fuction.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.