bow mounting options for HELIX

• G_Smitty
    New Richmond, WI

I have a Competitor Sport 185 and will be adding a HELIX 7 up on the bow, to network with the console unit and the trolling motor. I’ll need to add an ethernet port since I’ll three units linked together. 2 questions: Where do most of you mount the switch? Under the console seems to be the most obvious but since I already have my console HELIX connected to the Terrova and the new unit will be mounted up front, seems that there’d be a lot less wire-pulling if I mounted the switch up in that front compartment? Second question – what options have other people used for mounting the box HELIX? Ram-mount on the floor with an extension? Anyone rig up a mount using the Alumatrac? Pictures would be great…

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Anyone rig up a mount using the Alumatrac? Pictures would be great…

Following as well. Have an Helix 7 to mount up this spring. I was understanding that I could get a RAM ball onto the alumatrac bracket. At least that’s the plan in theory.

G_Smitty
    New Richmond, WI

bump

bruce anderson

I have 2 helix 9 on the council and another on the bow. I’m not sure about the switch you are talking about. You will need a five port Ethernet. poop i forgot what they call it. But you will need it. Any switches should be in the units its self.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

bump, any pictures of the bow mount? Anyone get it onto the Alumactrac brackets?
    I ordered my cables and ram mount today. If I don’t hear anything I’ll try to post pics of mine when done.

deertracker

Kind of far away.
    DT

Attachments:
    1. 9873-1.jpeg

deertracker

Sorry, added to the wrong post.
    DT

G_Smitty
    New Richmond, WI

I’ll post some pictures when I get back out on the boat… I mounted the network hub on the floor in the front compartment, in front of the driver’s side console. Pulled the network cable that was running to the Helix9 on the dash back out and used that one to connect to the trolling motor. Ran a new network cable from the console to the hub for the HELIX 9 and another to the bow for the HELIX 7. There was a set of wires in front connected to the ACC switch – connected the power lines to the hub and HELIX 7 to that set of wires. For the RAM mount for the HELIX 7, I bolted the ball to the vertical surface, next to that courtesy light, so that it could be swiveled down and out of the way when the cover is on the boat. Had it out yesterday on Cedar to check everything out and all works great!

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Never say I forget to update when I promise, better late then never. Even had to borrow my wife’s phone to get the pics to get on to the laptop. Anyway spent the snow day aka opener Saturday rigging.

Overall I didn’t buy the unit for the boat but I’m super super happy with how this is going. Despite the fact that I’m the least handy person out there and no project like this should take the hours I put into it.

The difference between my install and DT’s above is my use of the Alumatrac system. Caused some added work but a few benefits as well. This way I can put the cover on and everything is out of the way. I can also remove all but the wiring.

Also, unlike Glenn’s(above) I wasn’t doing a network hub or in marketing hbird terms “one boat network”. I’m perfectly happy if my Terrova only networks to one unit at one time. stay tuned, maybe I’ll change my mind in another year. I do have a long ethernet cable to hook up the Terrova to my Onix at the dash but not sure I’ll care anymore. We’ll see how the season goes.

Attachments:
    1. 00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200516092126440_COVER1.jpg

2. IMG_20200516_092036.jpg

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Above pics are for storage and if I want to view the screen from the back of the boat. Here’s a few more for when I use it in the bow and the bracket.

Parts list* I only had 2d universal sonar on the Terrova and 2d on the corresponding Helix “n” for networked. If you have mdi, DI Helix, or not “N” some may be different.

Terrova with US2
    Helix 7 G3N
    us2-mkr-8 sonar/ducer connection from tm to Helix
    AS EC QDE (ethernet adapter to connect Helix to Terrova)
    PC10 power for Helix, will experiment to see if shielded pc11 clears up interference
    Ram mount labeled for Helix 7 or smaller(thanks to a couple of IDO members for saying this one will work) Purchased at Scheels on sale

Assorted nuts, bolts, screws, your install will be cleaner than mine. None of mine match
    Small chuck of wood for spacer on alumatrac bracket

Tinned electrical wire. I did 16ga from the dash to the bow. That was spliced into a 12ga connection from my onix 8(at dash) that runs back to the battery. Should I have used thicker wire, probably but this is what I had. Again, not handy but my soldering worked but you would all laugh at me.
    Last but not least, couple beers while working toast

Attachments:
    1. 00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200516092218645_COVER1.jpg

2. 00000IMG_00000_BURST20200516092149749_COVER1.jpg

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.