Boots

• brian schultz
    Minot, ND

I have been using cabelas trans-alaska pac boot for the last 8 years. They are a warm boot and my feet have never got cold in them. They just have two flaws. One is that they are a real pain to take off and on. I don’t put them on till I get to loading as they are way to hot in the truck. The other one is they offer very little support for your feet. I drug a deer out last year about 1/4 mile and my ankles were killing me when I got done. After doing a lot of searching and I decided to get a pair of Baffin Apex boots. When they first got to my house I was not impressed But after wearing them a few times out fishing Im starting to like them. They offer good support and are way easier to get on and off. I have not tested them in real cold weather yet the coldest was 5 degrees. They are bulky but then so are the cabales boots. I will say they are more comfortable them the cabelas ones are. After a full season I will have a better review, but for now I give them a A.

adam ladz

Brian, I know it has only been a view more days since your review, but anymore input on these boots? Looking at these and the Trans Alaskans and can’t decide between the two. Are the Apex completely waterproof? Also sizing, I wear a size 10 shoes, what size should be good the Baffin? Thanks!

Karl Rumschmidt

Muck Arctic Pro boots are the best cold weather boot I’ve owned.

al-wichman
    SE Wisconsin

I’ve owned the Apex now for going on 4 seasons. I wouldn’t trade them for anything. They’re warm and waterproof, plus my feet don’t get all sweaty like they did with the rubber boots that are out there. I would recommend them to anyone. They are a bit pricey, but well worth it when you don’t have to worry about cold sweaty feet.

Levi Rosendahl

Baffins boots are great! Canadian built so proven to be top-notch for cold weather. I just picked up a pair of Baffins Control Max for ice fishing and shoveling snow. Very very comfortable and warm. About $160 on Amazon.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

What I wear is the Lacrosse Hunt Pac Extreme and am extremely happy with it.

I too only put it on after reaching my destination as it is too warm of a boot to wear while driving. That said I have driven short distances and the boot is NOT bulky to the point of hampering ones driving.

A pair of extra large Kahtoola Micro Spike cleats fit nicely on this boot in a size 10 boot.

outdoorsmn

I second the Muck Artic Pro boot. We trudged miles into the BWCA last winter dragging sleds with temps reaching -30 at night (wasn’t the smartest decision in my life). Two individuals in our group had frostbite toes, others were uncomfortably cold. I was the only one without cold feet and the only one with Muck Artic Pro boot.

They are easy to slip on and off, very comfortable and extremely warm.

Ryan Wilson

Muck Arctic Pros really are awesome. I love mine.

dexknows
    Blackduck, MN / Minneapolis, MN

I used to have a pair of Arctic Muck’s and loved them until my younger brother decided to use them for…. other purposes (mudding) and trashed them. I recently picked up a pair of AlphaBurly Pro 1600’s and so far they are FAR superior to the Muck’s. Love the ankle support and wider top for tucking pants into. We shall see when the real cold comes around, but so far they are awesome.

shady5

Anyone try or have heard how the Korker Polar Vortex 1200’s perform?

UpNorth35

I also have the Cabela’s trans alaskans and I agree way difficult to get in and off and zero support. Warm boot but alot of negatives for me. I also have a pair of Baffin Apex which I really like . I walk better in them and my feet have been warm . Check shoes.com there running a 30 percent off deal right now on boots you can get a pair of Apex for around 135.00 worth it

ozzyky
    On water

THOSe you of loving mucks what are you wearing for socks? Cotton socks or wool socks don’t seem to matter for me my feet sweat in them and then I end up with cold feet.

IceHawk
    Richmond mn

Muck Artic Pros, Thin silk sock and then a wool sock over.

Ryan Wilson

I wear an ultralight thermal liner under a heavyweight wool sock.

Mike Post

In my 45 plus years of hunting/fishing, nothing beats my military “Mickey Mouse” boots. I’ve been out in -15 temps for hours without my feet getting cold, even without disposable toe warmers. The last five or so years I’ve also worn alpaca wool socks. Try ’em! You’ll love them!

James M Brown

I have a pair of vortex 1200s. Ice fished yesterday in teens temps and just light socks. Feet nice and toasty. Love the ice cleats that come with them and the quick and easy on and off. I was looking for boots and didn,t want a big bulky boot, when a friend showed me his polar vortex 600s. He has used them for 4 years fishing ice derbys. He said he has stood in water all day long and fished in below zero weather and never got cold or wet feet. He highly recommended them to me. So far I agree with him. I like these.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.