Booster Pack Suggestions

• buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Who has a recommendation for a booster pack that I can toss in the truck and boat to utilize in a jam? I’d prefer something relatively small, but won’t skimp on cranking power being capable of meeting my needs. My wife has one I threw in her Jeep years ago but I don’t want to rely on it anymore after it’s been neglected to be charged regularly and exposed to some extreme temperatures. It also likely wouldn’t start a full size truck that was completely dead. I run into a handful of boats a year on the river that’d be on their way safely to the landing if they carried one. I need to be better about carrying a reliably charged one to help myself or others.

Required Starting Capabilities:

1/2 ton truck and other smaller vehicles

115hp outboard on the fishing boat

150hp outboard on the tritoon

Musky Ed

On Walleye Central, there has been some good discussions on this. There is also a YouTube out there by a car guy that does alot of testing of stuff. He tested about 8 or so units on various engines. Units tested varied in price up to apx $300. Performance of the units varied widely, and top rated unit was under $200. Just looked, just type booster in the search box.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I have a Weego. I’ve never had to use it but they have different sizes and many professionals use their stuff as well.

http://www.myweego.com

uninc4709

you can save 25% on Dbrand 2000a packs on amazon too. I just ordered one last night!

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

NOCO GB50 has worked well the few times I have used it.

Coletrain27

Gooloo makes nice packs as well. Bought one for my inlaws who are snowbirds and dry camp as a backup. They have had to use it a couple times now on a Ford v-10, worked both times.

Here is a link to one on Amazon – https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08CC1GYR1/?ascsubtag=np5pympxfcb2j8h6scck79cVxNgfnw7s&tag=dealnewscom&camp=1789&creative=9325&m=AU30U33PEM3VY

It is $45 with this coupon code – “IB5AW5QU”

Just ordered one! Came to $49.19 with tax. Thanks for the link

Zach Peterson
    Austin, Mn

I ordered a NexPow brand off Amazon that is supposed to be big enough to start my duramax. Haven’t had to use it for that yet but the couple times I have used it on vehicles or atv’s it’s worked well

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

NOCO GB70 or the NOCO GB150 hands down !

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

JNC660. Had 2 at the shop and used them all the time. 1 of them was bought in 2013 and was still working when I sold the business and retired in March last year.

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

I have a Noco GB40. It was a gift from my wife three years ago.
    It has started my 1/2 Chevy, a couple boats, a sheriff’s squad, a few cars, my wheeler and a small diesel Volkswagen.
    If I would do it again, I would go up a size or two even though it has done everything I have asked of it.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Haven’t had interest in any other since the NOCO GB150. Wish I could get one shipped to this Island !

Angler II

I have a Noco GB40. It was a gift from my wife three years ago.
    It has started my 1/2 Chevy, a couple boats, a sheriff’s squad, a few cars, my wheeler and a small diesel Volkswagen.
    If I would do it again, I would go up a size or two even though it has done everything I have asked of it.

We use these at work. It’s amazing the number of jumps you get off one charge.

Noco for sure.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

It’s crazy what the real life reviews on Youtube portray. The Noco has a huge market following, but ultimately had one of the poorer performances in the few reviews I’ve seen.

I’m thinking I’ll go with the Audew 2000A model.

big_g
    Isle, MN

The NOCO is probably overkill for a normal person… in a dealership, you use it multiple times a day… on vehicles that are D E A D. The $99 and under units are probably fine for once a month or less use, to be honest.

CaptainMusky

Truth! They are tough SOBs unlike a lot of the cheaper flimsier brands. I have the 70 and its been great. If you are looking to power something, they may not be the best for that for a long period of time, but they have a TON of cranking amps which is what you want for boosting a dead battery.
    I have used mine to power my engel bait cooler and it ran that 24/7 for like 3 days and was at like 75% so you certainly can use it for that as well.
    Aside from just being built heavier duty they have excellent clamps and heavy gauge wire.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Good reminder to top off my GB70.

iowa_josh

I bought a couple of discounted jump starters from Lowes a few years ago. They both swelled up to a concerning level. I guess reviews are your friend. Are they usually ok in a car in the summer time?

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Are they usually ok in a car in the summer time?

I leave mine in the truck 98% of the time. Other 2 percent includes using it, in the boat, in my wheeler box when trail riding.

Jim Stoeckel
    Above the clouds.

I carry a NOCO GB40. It spends the winter in my truck, and the summer in my boat. I haven’t needed it, but it’s been used to start vehicles with dead batteries, outboards, and charge everything with a USB charger. Very happy with it. Best price I found was on Batterymart.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

NOCO. I have a buddy who is a Snap On tool dealer and he sells a bunch of them. He said they did a side by side comparison with the larger professional ones and it was as good or better.

Sylvanboat

The NOVO GB70 and larger also will serve as power source for your fishing electronics.

BoatsHateMe
    Between Pool 2 and Pool 4

I have this Audew 1500A and it has been nothing short of amazing. Not only has it saved my azz in the boat a couple of times but I’ve yet to find a vehicle that can make it think twice about doing its job I cling my 2500 Chev, more than one cold Bobcat and a few different cars. Even when kept in my truck during the cold it works great.

I’ll be buying one for each one of my family members vehicles too.

https://m.audew.com/Audew-1500A-Peak-17000mAh-12V-Car-Jump-Starter-for-Up-To-8L-Gas-or-6_5L-Diesel-Engine-p-187382.html?rmmds=search

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.