Boats With Rear Bench

• jake47
    WI

My quest for a family fishing boat continues. Thought I found a Trophy that was going to work, but my wife is thinking she would like one that has a bench in back instead of jump seats. I’m less concerned with this, but going to explore it anyways.

We need seating for at least 6 in the cockpit. I’m thinking 2 rows of pedestal seats and the bench. I’m open to new or used. Prefer used, but it makes it harder to find. Interested in models that have this option available. Years would be helpful if used. I see Starweld makes an 18 and 20 foot victory that has a rear bench. The 18 footer max motor size is only 115 and 6 max capacity so this is likely out.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I have a removable bench in my boat. It gets good reviews from peeps. Can put it in and take it out in a jiffy. Ordered off amazon. It isn’t a fancy factory solution, but it sits people, sturdy, comfortable, and is removable. waytogo

jake47
    WI

Does this sit in the pedestal bases on the rear casting deck?

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I’d just look for the boat you want (without jump seats) then add it after. You will be sacrificing access to whatever is underneath (livewell, storage etc.), but also gain a nice casting platform when it’s not in use.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Does this sit in the pedestal bases on the rear casting deck?

I use a ratchet strap to secure it to the floor.
    I can put in the rear, on the side instead of passenger seat.
    In the bow.

Or fold it down and it is about 3″x48″x10″ and sits out of the way.

Just thought i’d throw it out as a suggestion for you. May not be applicable.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

You are going to need at least a 19′ to get more than 6….my Reata is an 1850 and it is rated for 6….4 in pedestals and 2 in the jump seats. I think the tin boats are generally the same.

The bench looks nice in that Crestliner…I don’t think you see them in the glass boats at all. One thing to look out for is where does the bimini lay if you aren’t using it? Sometimes the bimini interferes with rear seating when laid down. A good bimini is a must for a family boat.

The challenge I see with the aluminim boats is they are now as expensive as glass. The ride, especially with the family, is so much better in a glass boat. I came from aluminum and I wouldn’t go back just because the ride is so much more comfortable for the wife and daughter. I would add the Reata and Solera to your list if you are looking. My buddy has a Solera and that’s a nice rig.

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

Funny that this bench seat request came up. Just this weekend, my daughter asked if I was going to make one for my new 1650 Angler tiller that is on-order, so she can continue her tradition of sleeping while I fish,,,

from 14 years ago, yet she remembers,

HRG

Attachments:
    1. Kids1-080407.jpg

Deuces

I’ll add in my 2 cents.

90% of my boating is family time last couple years. I had a bench similar to sportfish and was awesome. That got karate chopped in half by a fallen tree so no longer in the boat. But I did take the back to back boat seat that survived the tree, it also converts into full bench, or a reclined position and threw that in back and works great. Only pedestal seat in boat is the drivers and i move the back to back wherever needed with certain passengers.

No lost room bc with kids there usually is a sufficient amount of crap to bring, can throw towels, snorkels, snacks under the back to back unit itself. If it’s just you and the Mrs she will greatly appreciate having that back to back up by the console in reclined position laying on a towel with a delicious cold beverage.

Just some thoughts. Pic has the old bench, and the back to back in reclined position, also good for zonked out kids.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20170905_101820458-scaled.jpg

2. IMG_20170905_133857136-scaled.jpg

Deuces

What a great idea hot runner.

Love the pic! toast

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

What a great idea hot runner.

Love the pic! toast

Thanks! Mama liked it when the kids were smaller, she could hold on to the grab handle with 1 hand, and wrap her other arm around the miscreant,,,

HRG

Attachments:
    1. bench-seat.jpg

bigcrappie
    Blaine

The Bayliner Style boats is what your looking for then or a Pontoon.

Ripjiggen

Skeeter WX series have a bench on back.

Deuces

The Bayliner Style boats is what your looking for then or a Pontoon.

I disagree. The fishing boat layout can hold great utility when it comes to family activities.

Leisure boats are good at comfort I’ll give em that. But being able to store coolers, water toys, fishing rods(dad still throws out a line when swimming here and there)etc etc they don’t do well.

Kinda fun catching a 3# snake on one side, kids are swimming on the lily other side, you say look what I got! while proceeding to throw it on the mat. Screams can be heard from across the lake, classic.

Justin Donson

You are going to need at least a 19′ to get more than 6….my Reata is an 1850 and it is rated for 6….4 in pedestals and 2 in the jump seats. I think the tin boats are generally the same.

The bench looks nice in that Crestliner…I don’t think you see them in the glass boats at all. One thing to look out for is where does the bimini lay if you aren’t using it? Sometimes the bimini interferes with rear seating when laid down. A good bimini is a must for a family boat.

The challenge I see with the aluminim boats is they are now as expensive as glass. The ride, especially with the family, is so much better in a glass boat. I came from aluminum and I wouldn’t go back just because the ride is so much more comfortable for the wife and daughter. I would add the Reata and Solera to your list if you are looking. My buddy has a Solera and that’s a nice rig.

Great points by Matt, I’d have a hard time buying aluminum over glass these days now that aluminum boat prices have shot up. Ride quality is just so much better, and Fiberglass is extremely durable AND fixable should you get any battle scars.

We have a Reata 1850 as well and it’s a great family boat. It has a HUGE cockpit, and two jump seats to fit 6 comfortably. However, the bimini gets in the way of the jump seats, so that’s something to look closely at, but maybe that’d be better on a 20 foot Reata?

BigWerm
    SW Metro

The challenge I see with the aluminim boats is they are now as expensive as glass.

Just out of curiosity I checked out new builds for a Solera, Reata, Lund Crossover and Tyee, and Alumacraft Trophy in comparison to the Crestliner Sportfish posted above ($47k) all with a Mercury 150 4 stroke Pro XS. And you are right on the mark Matt. Solera was 49k, Reata was 48k, Tyee was 48k, Crossover was 44k, and the Aluma was 42k. I didn’t spend a ton of time so there may have been some options included on some and not on others, but all of them being within 7k was pretty surprising to me.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Matt Moen wrote:</div>

Great points by Matt, I’d have a hard time buying aluminum over glass these days now that aluminum boat prices have shot up. Ride quality is just so much better, and Fiberglass is extremely durable AND fixable should you get any battle scars.

We have a Reata 1850 as well and it’s a great family boat. It has a HUGE cockpit, and two jump seats to fit 6 comfortably. However, the bimini gets in the way of the jump seats, so that’s something to look closely at, but maybe that’d be better on a 20 foot Reata?

It’s my only gripe about the reata….the bimini is in the way of the jump seats. Same in my buddies Solera. Not sure about the 2050 though.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

The challenge I see with the aluminim boats is they are now as expensive as glass.

Just out of curiosity I checked out new builds for a Solera, Reata, Lund Crossover and Tyee, and Alumacraft Trophy in comparison to the Crestliner Sportfish posted above ($47k) all with a Mercury 150 4 stroke Pro XS. And you are right on the mark Matt. Solera was 49k, Reata was 48k, Tyee was 48k, Crossover was 44k, and the Aluma was 42k. I didn’t spend a ton of time so there may have been some options included on some and not on others, but all of them being within 7k was pretty surprising to me.

When we looked a couple years ago the base packages were pretty similar. A few minor differences and there were some dealer incentives and add ons….my guess is not so much anymore.

Basically, take that base price price and add $10-$15k depending on what you want. All in price for most with decent options, including upgrading to a 175 or 200hp put you in the $60k range.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

When we looked a couple years ago the base packages were pretty similar. A few minor differences and there were some dealer incentives and add ons….my guess is not so much anymore.

Basically, take that base price price and add $10-$15k depending on what you want. All in price for most with decent options, including upgrading to a 175 or 200hp put you in the $60k range.

The engine might be where some bigger price differential comes in, if you max out the aluminums I think most of the 18′ max at 150-175 hp, whereas I think the glass can go up to 200 hp.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

The engine might be where some bigger price differential comes in, if you max out the aluminums I think most of the 18′ max at 150-175 hp, whereas I think the glass can go up to 200 hp.

That Crestliner goes up to 200….that’s what the Reata and Solera are also rated for. Not sure on the other tin boats.

That Crestliner is pretty sweet…the front bow layout looks cool. The reverse flippy chair is a great idea.

blackbay
    mn

Yar Craft has a bench option on their boats also.

jake47
    WI

Thanks for all the info!

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Thanks for all the info!

On IDO we love spending other people’s money on boats!

Let us know what you end up with.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Move the mounting point back if the bimini is over the rear seats.
    There can be a sweet spot to mount a bimini if you choose the right height, length, and mounting point. Mine can be laid forward or back. Can be put up while i have rods in use. Doesn’t eliminate the function of any rod holder (Have 10). All this was figured out before i ever purchased the bimini using a good old tape measure. Having a bimini that is fast to put up, convenient to keep on the boat so it is always ready…is like always packing a raincoat for that time you need it.

jake47
    WI

Showed the FW a Crestliner Sportfish 1950 with rear bench and she really likes it….I do too except the price tag

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Showed the FW a Crestliner Sportfish 1950 with rear bench and she really likes it….I do too except the price tag

The price tags are big but if it’s something you and the family enjoy it’s worth it.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.