Boat trailering behind 5th wheel-insurance

• Buzz
    Minneapolis MN

I’ve been exploring trailering my rig behind a 5th wheel. I know it’s done but haven’t seen it to often. I’m getting conflicting information about insurance coverage?

isu22andy

Is it legal in Minnesota ? I know in SD it is . Best of luck . Does your insurance agent know?

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Call your agent (or their secretary). If they cannot answer your question relatively quickly, find a different agent.

If I texted the guy I run all my insurance through (vehicles, toys, home, umbrella, life, and so on)…he’d call me within 5 minutes.

FWIW my policy would cover it as any other trailering, so long as it fell within the parameters of law wherever I was doing it. Be sure it’s not longer than allowable and doesn’t exceed the weight rating of the tow vehicle.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

It is legal here, not sure on total length. I have a couple friends that do it. I would think your vehicle coverage should take care of it while towing, but check with your agent. Like Bucky said if I texted or called my guy he would have an answer quickly.

CaptainMusky

I thought I heard it was like 50 feet total length or something, but that doesnt seem very long. My boat itself is 24 feet on the trailer.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I thought I heard it was like 50 feet total length or something, but that doesnt seem very long. My boat itself is 24 feet on the trailer.

No it’s not 50 ft.
    But yes call your agent. Both my trailers were covered when doing so. It’s pretty simple, I ran a 5th wheel camper and my boat for a long time like that

3Rivers

You probably know this since you’ve been researching, but here are key requirements in MN:

70 ft max total length
    Cannot operate in 7 county metro between the (weekday) hours of 6-9am and 4-7pm
    First vehicle must have fifth wheel or kingpin type hitch to middle trailer

I would think most mainstream insurance would cover as long as all legal requirements are met.

Riverrat

Check for the thread where they were posting all the flipped trailers by Baxter. There were links to the state law, and comments about insurance on that thread.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Check for the thread where they were posting all the flipped trailers by Baxter. There were links to the state law, and comments about insurance on that thread.

What thread is that

Riverrat

It would have been around July 7th or so. I don’t remember the topic, it was probably totally unrelated to the discussion on trailers though. I think it might have been zipper merge.

sheffib32

The other things to take into consideration for both legality and insurance is that both trailers must not exceed the tow rating of the tow vehicle. Best way to do this is a CAT scale, but if you have an accident or claim the state and the insurance companies are going to use posted numbers.

Pat K
    Empire, MN

From the MN DOT:

Question: What are the requirements for RV triple towing in Minnesota?

Answer: A recreational vehicle combination may be operated without an over-length type permit if:

(1) the combination does not consist of more than three vehicles, and the towing rating of the full-size pickup truck or recreational truck-tractor is equal to or greater than the total weight of all vehicles being towed;

(2) the combination does not exceed 70 feet in length;

(3) the operator of the combination is at least 18 years of age;

(4) the trailer is only carrying watercraft, motorcycles, motorized bicycles, off-highway motorcycles, snowmobiles, all-terrain vehicles, motorized golf carts, or equestrian equipment or supplies, and meets all requirements of law;

(5) the vehicles in the combination are connected to the full-size pickup truck or recreational truck-tractor and each other in conformity with the trailer hitch laws; and

(6) the combination is not operated within the seven-county metropolitan area during the hours of 6 a.m. to 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. on Mondays through Fridays.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.