Boat Trailer title?

• koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

I just bought a used boat. I got a boat title, bill of sale but no trailer title. Should I have gotten a trailer title from the owner? Can I transfer the the ownership of the trailer without a title? It’s got the lifetime sticker on the trailer. 16 foot with a 25 hp motor.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

No title, however you should have been given this with the information and sellers signature.

Attachments:
    1. 20170407_190514.jpg

2. 20170407_190455.jpg

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Take the number off the lifetime license sticker and bill of sale to the DMV (Not DNR) and you can get the transfer done. Helps to have VIN. But a lot of the small trailer dont have them.

-J.

chubby
    Bloomington

If it has a title you will need the title to transfer. The perm reg has nothing to do with the title.

If you have the reg card it will either have a title number listed or it will say none or N/A

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

If it has a title you will need the title to transfer. The perm reg has nothing to do with the title.

If you have the reg card it will either have a title number listed or it will say none or N/A

My trailer did not come with a title, however nowhere on the registration card is there a spot where it says title number…”none or N/A”. (I posted a pic above).
    In any event, as Jon says I believe you can still get it transferred with bill of sale and registration # off the sticker. You will pay transfer fee and sales tax on it though.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

If it is titled then you need a title to transfer. Simple as that.

Most small boat trailers were not titled im MN but there are exceptions.

Permanente registration is often misunderstood. Its only permanent for the original owner. If the boat gets sold then the permanent registration needs to be transferred. For a fee of course.

Grouse

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

I texted the guy I bought the boat from showing him the picture of the card. He found it and is mailing it to me.

Thanks for the help guys. It’s a nice rig. Looking forward to using it this year.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.