Boat Registration – How Long Will it Take?

• buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I recently purchased a new to me used boat and had financing from a credit union for about 50% of the cost. After purchasing the boat, my credit union had me drop off the title, and prior owner’s lien release. I did this on Monday to hopefully expedite the process.

Here’s where my question comes into play as loans are new to me. The lender said that now they will mail in the registration and tax payments to the MN DNR. I will then be receiving the boat registration and a new title with my lien listed on it in the mail. How long will this process take for me to have my boat registration and new title? I’m assuming I cannot and should not be operating the boat until I have the new registration and title in-hand?

There’s nothing worse than having a new toy, getting it all rigged, and watching it collect dust in the garage!

Thanks!

bassn7
    Bruce,WI

if the registration is in and paid I’d think you can use it call the dnr

stan wave

deertracker

Not sure about the registration but title will take 6 to 8 weeks usually.
    DT

mike-west
    Amery, WI

I would think you could get a copy of docs bank sent in to cover you until reg numbers and stickers arrive.
    Title probably won’t matter as bank will probably hold that until you’ve re paid back the loan in full. Guess you might get a copy of title with lean holder listed.

Ryan P
    Farmington

Did you buy the boat from a private party? When I did that I transferred the registration myself and added the lien holder. That way I could use the boat right away. At the very least if you have the Docs saying it was paid I’d think you would be good. Does it still have the old stickers?

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Did you buy the boat from a private party? When I did that I transferred the registration myself and added the lien holder. That way I could use the boat right away. At the very least if you have the Docs saying it was paid I’d think you would be good. Does it still have the old stickers?

It does have the old stickers. The only problem is that they’re from WI, and I’m in MN. It was purchased from a private party.

munchy
    NULL

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ryan P wrote:</div>

It does have the old stickers. The only problem is that they’re from WI, and I’m in MN. It was purchased from a private party.

Are they current? If so just get a copy of the paperwork and you should be fine until everything comes in.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Congrats on the new Tuffy!! You will love that boat. Go to your local DMV and they will walk you through what you need to do.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Make sure you have some paperwork and get it insured and you should be good.

Kyhl
    Savage

Congrats on the new Tuffy!! You will love that boat. Go to your local DMV and they will walk you through what you need to do.

What he said. I do not understand why the bank is involved in this process.

I mean, I understand. They lent money and want to control the process to insure their equity. But I have always filed my own paperwork with the DMV.

Banks have people on staff that validate documentation. They will review the title to make sure they are listed as a lien holder. They will also receive confirmation of insurance from your carrier. I did this for a bank as a part time job while going to college.

It is in the best interest of the seller to transfer the title ASAP. I’ve seen were the seller goes to the DMV to make sure the title transfer happens in a timely manner. Usually it is the buyer taking care of all of this.

It seems strange to me that the bank would take over the entire process. I would have been looking for a different bank for a second opinion.

mike-west
    Amery, WI

Just curious, DMV was mentioned a few times.
    In MN DMV does boat registration? In WI it’s the DNR.

gizmoguy
    Crystal,MN

Is the WI boat registration current? The DNR or sheriff doesn’t care where it is registered just as long as it is current.
    Is it possible they were referring to the trailer registration? I could see where they would take care of that. The boat may have to be done by you.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

In Minnesota the DNR does issue the boat title and registration. Separately, the DMV licenses the trailer because that is the piece of it that has tires and is operated on public roadways. That is what I was told anyway. ?
    Typically you can get a lifetime license for the trailer, but the boat does need to be renewed every 3 years.

gizmoguy
    Crystal,MN

You can only get a lifetime registration for trailers below 3000 lbs I believe. They wouldn’t give me one for my trailer for my WX2100 Skeeter. I gots plates and annual fees.

Kyhl
    Savage

I was using DMV as a generic shortcut for licensing office. I think some of the licensing offices that I’ve used are privately operated and sell/process licensing for the DMV, DNR, and passports, as well as processing other state documents

mikek
    Brainerd-Mille Lacs

You can only get a lifetime registration for trailers below 3000 lbs I believe. They wouldn’t give me one for my trailer for my WX2100 Skeeter. I gots plates and annual fees.

Same here. Plate, with tabs every year. I do see a lot of people pulling boats with lifetime stickers but know they are well above #3000.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

In WI all you have to have is a copy of the registration paperwork with you and you are good to go.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.