Boat purchase next year

• jerad
    Otranto, IA/Hager City, WI

Fellas help me reduce my learning curve here. Ill be in the market for a 19-20′ boat next year and would like to maximize the cockpit area. Frankly, I just don’t use the bow for casting and etc. Most of my fishing is done on the Mississippi river either trolling or running live bait. I do get out to Lake Michigan for Salmon once a year also. I’m on the fence on aluminum/glass as of now. What boat has the biggest cockpit area in a 19′-20′?

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I assume that a tiller is going to have significantly more room than a console. I don’t know if you are set on a console but hopefully someone else will chime in with how much space they have in their own boat.

jerad

Sorry forgot to mention that in original post. Yes, has to be a console with windshield.

shady5

Warriors and Starcraft Fishmasters may be worth a look.

to_setter
    Stone Lake, WI

In my experience the biggest difference in cockpit area is whether the boat has jump seats or not. I had a boat with a large cockpit area but no jump seats, so when Salmon fishing we had to leave in one or two of the rear post seats and that sucks! You don’t need anywhere near as large of a cockpit area if you have the jump seats and can leave the rear post seats at home.

My biggest quandry (especially when Salmon fishing) is finding a boat that’s long enough from windshield to back of fishing area to allow a fisherman’s top that won’t interfere with fighting Salmon in the back. We use long Dipsy Diver leads, so the guy on the rod has to walk way forward in the boat to be able to get the fish close enough to net. This can’t really happen if you have a top that goes very far towards the stern from the windshield. Up to this point, I’ve just been staying away from using a top, but it would be VERY nice to have in poor weather and too hot and too sunny days out on Lake Michigan.

to_setter
    Stone Lake, WI

Warriors and Starcraft Fishmasters may be worth a look.

I’ll second both. The Starcraft Fisherman in particular has a giant dance floor. and no back deck so you can walk all the way to the transom to run riggers and net fish.

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

I have pretty much converted to almost zero bow use as well…. age & comfort issues of a good windshield…. and the bow mount trolling motors have made it easy not to have to be in the bow.

The floor plan that comes to mind immediately is the Warrior 203….. windshield is moved as far forward as possible to do the very tasks you mention. It has rapidly became my personal favorite floor plan for the reasons you list.

I will be the first to say however, it is far more boat than what a guy needs for day in day out use for pool 4. Lake MI salmon you would be spot on! To my knowledge, I dont know of any common aluminum or glass boats that still make a floor plan like the 203 layout.

V203

KPE
    River Falls, WI

Check out Kingfisher boats they look incredible and I believe they have some models with the console set pretty far forward so you get a huge cockpit

Ripjiggen

What is your budget that might help narrow down some options.

mojogunter

I was going to suggest the Warrior 203 as well.

Timmy

If considering aluminum boats and if the fishing area in the back is a concern – check out the west coast style boats such as hewescraft, Duckworth, alumaweld…. they tend to have the consoles pretty far forward – sacrificing bow space for deck space in the back. Although not flashy, overall build quality from what I have witnessed is lightyears ahead of the basic midwestern walleye boat style.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Sorry forgot to mention that in original post. Yes, has to be a console with windshield.

Wife influence? toast

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

If considering aluminum boats and if the fishing area in the back is a concern – check out the west coast style boats such as hewescraft, Duckworth, alumaweld…. they tend to have the consoles pretty far forward – sacrificing bow space for deck space in the back. Although not flashy, overall build quality from what I have witnessed is lightyears ahead of the basic midwestern walleye boat style.

The only area the build quality might be better is gauge or metal used. Those boats are made for hammering rocks. Hewescraft might be pretty but they are nowhere near what Midwest Walleye boats are as far as comfort. And yes, I have ridden in and seen them. If you wanna shoot the Snake River in Idaho I would opt for one of those boats. If you wanna Walleye fish Mille Lacs, Leech, Winnie ect i’ll take a Walleye boat that we see in Minnesota.

jerad

Wife, 4 kids (5,5,7,10), and myself. I’m getting where I don’t like getting wet and cold anymore.

Timmy

I don’t argue that as a jigging/rigging boat control boat, my hewes is not comparable. But for anchoring/trolling (my main approaches) it suits us well. After 24 yrs of running a proV and Tyee, I can for sure say I am glad to not have to dedicate time to reassemble/repair cheap crap that rattles loose or breaks from use. Top to bottom, front to back, the difference in build quality and durability between the boats I have owned is day and night. Both of my lunds wiring jobs appeared to be done by dropouts from the Stevie Wonder School of wiring….Not so with the wiring on my current rig.

hillhiker
    SE MN

Depending on what you’re looking to spend the Crestliner Commander comes to mind as well. It will have a similar layout to the western heavy gauge boats, but should save you some money if that’s a concern.

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Warrior.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

if going glass, Warrior for sure. JMO

Dustin Tichy

It is probably a drive for you, but you should come up to LOTW on August 8th. Warrior will be letting you test drive the boats from 4-5:30 out of Wigwam. You will get to see all the different layouts and how they handle bigger water.

Obviously, I recommend a Warrior.

Pat K
    Empire, MN

I can’t recommend a make of boat, but on my last 2 boat purchases I brought my tackle boxes, cooler and 4 rods with me. I put them, in any boat I was considering to see if I could arrange them in a comfortable way for my fishing style. It was nice to see how things fit before writing the check.

riverrookie
    Kasson, MN

Yarcraft 186tfx. I recently purchased a 2020 with 200SHO and could not be happier. Wide boat with large cockpit area. Let me know if you want a test ride/drive I could make that happen if you’re in Minnesota.
    Jason

blackbay
    mn

If you’re looking aluminum Lund’s Sport Angler and Tyee might fit the bill. Alumacraft also has their 205 Trophy.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.