Boat market peaked??

• Matthew Sandys

I have been saving for a boat for the past 4 years—great timing with inflation. I look every day and seems to me we are seeing less demand.
    Has the boat market peaked? To me, it looks like many of the boats are sitting on dealer lots, and rebates and used boats are not flying off the market.

I’m assuming the high prices and high loan rate have slowed the boat market down a lot.

What are all your thoughts?

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

A year ago the wait for some new boats was about a year. At the beginning of 2023, I was told 6 months. So the wait time has definitely gone down.

Prices are still very high though. That might be a permanent change to be honest even if demand goes back to normal.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

You looking new or used?

Matthew Sandys

Dutchboy:

I have been looking for a used skeeter WX1910

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

I have been stalking boats on FB market place. It does seem like things are sitting. Best time to buy is right before people start putting boats in storage for winter.

Matthew Sandys

Carter:
    I’m hoping there is a good purge before ice season and I can get into a boat for a decent price.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

I think you have the right idea.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

The used boat market has definitely slowed way down from the pandemic crazy-time and Carter is right in that the selling pace only gets slower and the deals get better as we approach winter storage time.

But if you’re after one specific model, what I’ve learned over the years however is you still have to be willing to get on your horse and look at boats that might look “meh” in the pictures.

A lot of guys are super lazy when selling. They don’t take good pictures, they don’t pull the boat out of the garage, they don’t wash it, and they may not even fully pull the cover off if they’re real lazy. Bad pictures can hide really good deals if you’re willing to go look.

Grouse

Ripjiggen

If you are looking for that specific boat I wouldn’t expect a sweet deal. It’s not like there are several for sale at once.
    Like Grouse said if you see one you like I would still act on it quickly.

Matthew Sandys

Grouse/Rippen
    Thanks for the advice. I know that I’m looking for a very specific boat but that is ok I wait till a 1910 or 2060 comes up. I have been working and saving for 4 years not like it is a big deal to wait and get what I want. Buy once cry once.

JoeMX1825
    MN

until new boat prices get back to reality, the used boat market will remain well above normal values and every fisherman knows it…you might be able to find a deal from a covid era novice buyer who just wants to get rid of an extra asset, especially as the summer winds down and they are looking at another year of winterization and storage…

Ripjiggen

Nice boats.
    I was looking for a 2060 for a while.

Ripjiggen

until new boat prices get back to reality, the used boat market will remain well above normal values and every fisherman knows it…you might be able to find a deal from a covid era novice buyer who just wants to get rid of an extra asset, especially as the summer winds down and they are looking at another year of winterization and storage…

I am willing to bet Skeeter is not going to come out with a new boat for less than the year before. They may level off and not go up 20 percent YOY, but they are not going to drastically go backwards Pre Covid prices.

I believe the crazy increases have leveled off or peaked.

Matthew Sandys

DaveB
    That is the cleanest boat I have seen. Wow does your dad take care of his stuff. I’m looking for a 21 or new, redesigned hull and cockpit one.
    Thank you though.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

DaveB
    That is the cleanest boat I have seen. Wow does your dad take care of his stuff. I’m looking for a 21 or new, redesigned hull and cockpit one.
    Thank you though.

That is because it rarely made it onto the water! Also, no nightcrawlers or northern allowed in the boat.

JoeMX1825
    MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>JoeMX1825 wrote:</div>

I am willing to bet Skeeter is not going to come out with a new boat for less than the year before. They may level off and not go up 20 percent YOY, but they are not going to drastically go backwards Pre Covid prices.

I believe the crazy increases have leveled off or peaked.

oh I agree, I just can’t fathom how spending $100K+ on a fiberglass boat becomes the norm, it just can’t sustain itself as the market will run out of buyers who can afford it…I saw an advertisement that Floe did a “price corrrection” and lowered their trailer prices a bit, not sure what industry had a crazier price jump the last 3 years, trailers or boats…

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.