BOAT HELP.

• Tiney

So I’ll be taking my boat out in red wing, as we know the temp will be freezing during the night and who knows for how long. I already winterized my boat and I am gonna unwinterize it. Anything I should do after taking my boat out of the water in this freezing temp? Last thing I was is for my engine to freeze. Btw. Engine is a mercury 115 fourstroke and boat is a lund. Thanks

rwilliam
    St.Paul, Mn

I would make sure all the water is drained from your motor and livewell.
    Possibly take your electronics off and into the house, that is about all I would do.
    Enjoy your day on the water.

David Blais

I wouldn’t run the livewell… when your on the ramp, drop the motor all the way down to let any water drain out

Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

Here is an article I put together a couple years ago on this exact topic on boat fishing in the winter (under 32 deg). I am by no accords a vet at this, but I have learned many of these lessons the hard way.

Scroll down to the section title: WINTER BOAT FISHING

http://www.imnfishing.com/reports/dont-put-your-boat-away/

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Plug the livewell drain outlet with plumber’s putty and then dump some non-tox RV antifreeze in the livewell itself.

If your livewell drain takes water in and it freezes, you’ll crack the below-deck drain hose and start taking on water very badly. In theory, the livewell should drain back, but I don’t take any chances with stuff that could sink my boat.

Otherwise there are no real issues. Tilt the motor all the way down and allow the water to drain as soon as you pull the boat.

I don’t want to get into a big start it vs don’t start it debate. Personally, I always started it to let it run for 10 seconds and get rid of water in the impeller and pump chamber. I changed pumps every couple of years so the tiny amount of wear that this causes matters not the least.

Make sure starting battery is charged before you leave.

Grouse

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Get on level ground and trim motor all the way down to drain.

I personally do not start it out of the water.

I don’t store my boat in a heated garage. Went several weeks fishing and the temp never got above freezing. About 10 days ago I finally melted the ice in my splashwell from January.

I can also go weeks without seeing the tell tale spitting water. That’s winter for ya.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Don’t drain your motor on the ramp. Makes it all the more ice for the next guy launching and backing a trailer down the ramp. Drain in the parking lot on level ground

Ryan P
    Farmington

Here is an article I put together a couple years ago on this exact topic on boat fishing in the winter (under 32 deg). I am by no accords a vet at this, but I have learned many of these lessons the hard way.

Scroll down to the section title: WINTER BOAT FISHING

http://www.imnfishing.com/reports/dont-put-your-boat-away/

Ironically enough I was going to ask the same question as Tiney this morning. Your article answered all of my questions in one. Bookmarked for sure. Thanks Evan!

Mike Martine
    Inactive
    la crosse wis

Don’t drain your motor on the ramp. Makes it all the more ice for the next guy launching and backing a trailer down the ramp. Drain in the parking lot on level ground

. X2 Also , after launching and loading , let your trailer drain at the waters edge . Only takes a minute and helps keep the ramp from becoming an ice rink

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Silicone or Pam on your electric trolling motor.
    Keep your engine in the water…it’s warmer there.
    Wear your damn PFD and don’t forget to check your boat registration.

)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.