Boat Design >20′ ; Interest?

• Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Deep pockets will be your best friend. Reinventing the wheel has been tried before yet it’s the same as in the stone age. A cheaper option would be to approach one of the small Midwest builders and just buy them out.

Remember Larson…..they thought they were onto something and they couldn’t make a go of it.

Best of luck in the venture, keep us posted as to how it’s coming along.

jbg1219
    NW Iowa

I want a 20 foot alaskan tiller to ride as well as my old 177 warrior did. The only issue I had with the 177 was room in the “cockpit area” I have 2 sons that are about 6’2 and 6’4″, and I go 6’1″. By the time we got in that boat and were comfortable, we were out of space. So i bought a 19 foot windshield boat that is much wider and we all fit in it comfortably, but I hate not having the boat control I did with my warrior. A 20 foot boat that takes big water waves and cruises about 30-35MPH and tops at 40-45 is good enough for me.

Red Eye

I run a 1825 pro guide. Would love a 20 footer. But it would be triple the cost of my current boat. I would definitely like to see a 20 footer at $40k. About the only thing I really lack in the pro guide is actually dry storage. Have to keep extra clothes or rain suits in dry bags. And room for a few more 7’+ rods.

ganderpike
    Alexandria

Yeah, other manufacturers try to reinvent the wheel in design, and also in lamination methods. All of it being more expensive. A simple design highlighting what other companies drop the ball on.

Is there any rod storage out there in boats that people rave about? I hate the cubby storage where it’s barely possible to get them out without rod condoms and broken tips. Side storage walls have worked ok, but not feasible with 12 sticks.

A lot to think about, and I appreciate all of the skepticism as well.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Yeah, other manufacturers try to reinvent the wheel in design, and also in lamination methods. All of it being more expensive. A simple design highlighting what other companies drop the ball on.

Is there any rod storage out there in boats that people rave about? I hate the cubby storage where it’s barely possible to get them out without rod condoms and broken tips. Side storage walls have worked ok, but not feasible with 12 sticks.

A lot to think about, and I appreciate all of the skepticism as well.

Well hopefully you can figure it out and make it happen. I’d like a new boat. NO SPARKLES, it’s not for the wife. No frills just function.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

To answer your question-100% there would be a market for a 20’ fiberglass tiller with motor for under 40k. I also don’t see how it is possible.

Regarding storage-rod sleeves and coffin style storage area is the safest and most convenient way to store rods. It takes seconds to get them in and out. Some type of deck storage for another 4-10 rods would be valuable.

Make sure that the glass won’t crack.

Interested to see what else people have to say.

matthewkolden

If i could afford 2 boats id have a tiller. But, i do love my windshield quite often. We also have kids and do a lot of knee boarding, tubing etc. That said, if i was going to buy a tiller, yea, something closer to the 30-40k range would be for me. I couldn’t justify 50+

tswoboda

Anyone remember Patriot Boats from about 20 years ago? I feel like they had a similar model of no-frills cheap fiberglass boat trying to beat the big names on price. That story did not end well.

ganderpike
    Alexandria

Only having read about Patriot boats, my understanding is they used a racing hull and a big motor. Fast = expensive to consumer, and expensive to builder (warranty). Id be curious to know more.

River Wild Boats out west makes unique tillers, fun to look at. Not going for that layout, but they definitely shake it up from what you typically see.

Construction and cost is about the only thing I feel I can accurately forecast.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Id be curious to know more.

Do a search on WalleyeCentral for Patriot Boats. coffee

-J.

AK Guy

Ganderpike, another forum you might want to ask this question is on ifish.net. Most of the forum members fish the Columbia River basin and aluminum boats with large tillers rule, namely Willie Boats, Alumaweld, Fishrite, and HewesCraft.

PmB

40k would be awesome but don’t think its doable after being fully rigged. 18ft aluminum tillers get well over that after rigging.

PmB

That’s the current 18ft model. Guessing 20′ will be 50k+

Musky Ed

A 20′ trailer by it’s self is 6k to 8k or more for a good one.
    As a 50 yr plus fisherman, I will never have a boat with a cheap trailer.

ganderpike
    Alexandria

Couldn’t agree more, I put many miles on mine and knowing you can run state to state is worth more to me than most things in the boat.

I have a spec’d out galvanized Karavan single axle rated for 3100#.

Ripjiggen

Impressive! Boat/Motor/Trailer for $44k. waytogo

-J.

May as well just buy a warrior 1890 at that price.

Ripjiggen

That’s the current 18ft model. Guessing 20′ will be 50k+

It’s not even 18 ft long.

MX1825

20 foot anything at 40k? I would be very skeptical if could be done with decent quality and features. JMO
    It would definitely draw interest.

OG Net_Man

Impressive! Boat/Motor/Trailer for $44k. waytogo

-J.

May as well just buy a warrior 1890 at that price.

You will need to add another $10,000 or so for that Warrior.

TillrLife
    Cold Spring, MN

$75,000+

I was told that’s the price he was trying to land at for his 20′ Tiller. I believe that is with a 150 Zuk.

Viewing 24 posts - 31 through 54 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.