Boat adds Winners Losers this past year.

• Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

Every year I try to evaluate new or new to me products that seem helpful and or interesting for the boat. I also have noticed that as I get a touch older lol, that those items have changed through the years to fall in my category of “old guy” friendly ! :]

Two products that I used for last year that worked out really well and exceeded my expectations were the Drotto Boat Latch and the 8 ft Power Pole with drift paddle.

The Drotto simply makes life and the learning curve of boat loading a non issue of being on & locked without having to be a circus acrobat. Especially nice in current and windy rough water days. Darn near a “must have” especially if you load solo frequently. Very pleased !

Power pole with drift paddle, As far as a shallow water anchor goes, either the talon or power pole work just fine, but with the improvements of spotlocks on our trolling motors, on water anchoring really wasn’t my main goal. Not by plan, I had the opportunity to fish with a friend in extremely rough water on LOW. The drift paddle made a amazing difference in boat surge associated with rough water. My boat at the time without the paddle simply surged too much to effectively fish the same water. I also found benefits with fine tuning trolling speeds and drift fishing. The final “old guy” friendly factor was docking the boat and had far less bumps and bruises on this years boat from mis judging and being tied up at the dock.

I really didnt have any losers this year that I know of , but normally I do have new things that just don’t pan out as I expected. A good example of this would have been the first year non blue tooth ultera. Not to bash, but obviously the new Bluetooth and spotlock features are awesome today as compared to the first year.

Aaron Kalberer

I bought a frabil bait bucket for ice fishing and I love the bucket, works well holds minnows in the bucket and worms in the lid. The bucket works great but the aerator that came with it is garbage, it ran off 2 d cell batteries and died within 8 hrs. I switched to the Clam litium rechargeable aerator and that is slick! runs 8 hrs non stop, then when I get home I just plug it in and let it run until I go out again.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Darn near a “must have” especially if you load solo frequently. Very pleased !

Thanks Dean! Your opinion is very much valued. Will be getting one for the Ranger. waytogo

-J.

Dustin Tichy

Very cool. I never had a use for a power pole before, but I can see how having the drift paddle would be sweet! Quick and easy drift sock with adjustable drag basically. Hard to justify the cost for a bag alternative and not a fan of having that big thing always hanging off the back of the boat, but cool to see the new products. Thanks for the write up Dean!

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

My best winner was a pilots chair for the boat. Love the arm rests. Makes for very comfortable power naps.

Attachments:
    1. DSC05613.jpg

Dean Marshall

I have ran Captains chairs myself for the past few years, couldnt agree more on the all day comfort….another “old guy” certified winner! :]

Dustin, I believe tiller guys could benefit alot with the paddle ! I will be the first to admit that when I first saw it on Keith & Gary’s boats,I simply didnt get it what so ever.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

The Drotto simply makes life and the learning curve of boat loading a non issue of being on & locked without having to be a circus acrobat. Especially nice in current and windy rough water days. Darn near a “must have” especially if you load solo frequently. Very pleased !

The only thing I don’t like about these in the winter is people pull out of the water a few feet, then attach safety chain… All while boat is dripping on the ramp. I’ve also picked up a 17′ Lund when the drotto failed. 2 years ago.

. The drift paddle made a amazing difference in boat surge associated with rough water. My boat at the time without the paddle simply surged too much to effectively fish the same water. I also found benefits with fine tuning trolling speeds and drift fishing.

I’ve found a smaller Drift sock on your transom, connected with a bungee cord, can really help here too! A fraction as effective without bungee.

Just some thoughts Dean. No cookies )

leinieman
    Chippewa Valley (Dunnville Bottoms)

Hey Dean if your loading solo too frequenty shoot me a message and I will bring the cookies.
    Steve

Dean Marshall

No doubt drift sock program is effective, just not “old guy” easy ! LOL

I am aware of one drotto failure as well, upon further review, it really didn’t fail if it never latched……. however there is a reason for the safety chain and I’m certain anything can fail under the right circumstances…..

That person continues to use the drotto last I heard

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Through my Lund dealer I got the boat from. Crazy spendy in my opinion but ohhhh so nice. grin

Keith Haarstick

Hi everyone. First post.I have a Drotto but have some trouble loading,unloading is good.If trailer is in too deep,bow eye comes in under Drotto latch.If at right depth for the trailer,it has bunks with slides,the prop will be in the sand to power load.Any ideas? Thanks
    The other way I load is to tie the stern cleat to my side guides,they are very solid, only need to be within two feet of bow latch or less, so boat is well past center of gravity on trailer and no slack in line so boat does not slide back.No walking to front,no reaching over bow.No power loading.Winch up boat as soon as winch on dry land. Works on my roller trailer also. Used to tie both sides until getting used to it. See any issues? Thanks again.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Keith, welcome to In-Depth.

When you back in to load, back your trailer in to far so you get the bunks wet all the way to the front. Pull ahead and load. You can tilt your motor, it will still move the boat. Pay close attention to how much of your fender is under water when the loading goes well and back into that depth each time. I leave my boat in gear under low power once it’s loaded to the front. I then walk to the front and clip the safety chain, shut the motor off and tilt the motor all the way up and pull the trailer out.

For me, once I have learned the landing, I run the boat in under power and slip it into neutral and most times it runs right up on it’s own. The bunks will center the boat for you if you are in the proper depth.

Keith Haarstick

Agree. Need more time with the Drotto latch. Using 2 boats and my kayak and going to a lot of different lakes will take awhile to get system down. A good problem to have! Thank you Dutchboy.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.