Blue vs orange nils auger

• backy33

Looking at either the blue or orange nils auger to put on my 20v dewalt drill. Does anyone have with either or both? What are the differences and will my dewalt handle either one? I’m guessing the blue maybe has a steeper pitch rate? Just a guess there.

Crappie Flop!

I have the orange one 8 inch and a dewalt 20v and have had no problems, this is my second year with this setup and love it! Just be sure to drill on the first setting otherwise it won’t power through the ice. This is my opinion

404 ERROR
    MN

Red or Black heads should be interchangeable on the bits. I only own the blue ones and I have multiple, all with red blades. I’m not 100%, but the orange I think was designed for drills with the disc and drill attachment instead of having to buy an adapter for the drill for the blue one.

backy33

How many holes can you get out of a battery with foot of ice?

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I believe they have different blades with the blue bit being more aggressive. The Orange has the plate which prevents the bit from falling down the hole if detached and I have read of a lot of occurrences of that happening (mostly user error).

I ordered the orange bit last month and it’s been on backorder all this time cry

red89
    Hudson

I have had the high velocity (blue) for about 8 years now and use either the clam plate with an adapter or the ice master adapter. My friend had the orange one and when the ice got really thick a few years ago he was almost bottoming out that plate on the ice, so that’s something to consider.

gary d
    cordova,il

I have a blue one with a Mil-fuel. 6 inch. If I remember right I could get around 20 holes more or less with ice that deep. More with less ice. That is with keeping the battery warm. The 20 holes is just a guess because I usely don’t drill that many. I would think if you have 2 battery’s they would last all a day for a person.

Matt Brookman
    Stillwater, MN

Nils sent me the orange 6″ last year to try and now the light blue 6″ this year. In comparison, Both are the fastest cutting head I’ve ever used. I would say the Orange one has a more aggressive pitch than the light blue.

Ray Gylsen
    Glenwood,Mn

I ordered the orange drill on Dec 10th from Cabela’s and they were on backorder. Yesterday they refunded my money and said they were not getting anymore in. I have to tell you, I was very bummed out. I was looking forward to having one for lightweight fishing. I tried a k-drill and found it to catch at the bottom of the hole. If anybody has one for sale, let me know. Thanks.

Rivergills
    Wisconsin

FishUSA has them with free shipping. Great customer service also.

Ray Gylsen
    Glenwood,Mn

The 8″ auger is on backorder, but thanks anyway.

Justin Radel

Found the blue trekker here in 8″

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20180105-235844.png

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I ordered the orange drill on Dec 10th from Cabela’s and they were on backorder. Yesterday they refunded my money and said they were not getting anymore in. I have to tell you, I was very bummed out. I was looking forward to having one for lightweight fishing. I tried a k-drill and found it to catch at the bottom of the hole. If anybody has one for sale, let me know. Thanks.

Same here. Irritating

glenn-d
    N C Illinois

I have both the Nils (blue) with the red cutting blades (aggressive) and the black cutting blades (less aggressive) in 6” and a Kdrill 6” and I don’t even use my Nils anymore not even a comparison in my opinion.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

If the k drill could be used as a hand auger I would get that. I like the dual functionality of the nils

James M Brown

I have both heads in 4 1/2 inch. The red nils is some more aggressive than the black but both are great. I have used my nils auger for 4 years now and with just a 19.2 volt craftsman 1/2 inch drill. I jig mostly perch, bluegill and crappie and do a lot of holes. Take care of the head and use the blade guard and these will last a long time with no need for down pressure. I did invest in a four amp lithium battery and it lasts a long time!!! My shoulder loves me now.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.