Blank Display Screen on 2019 Ram 1500 Classic

• boone
    Woodbury, MN

I’ve got a 2019 Ram 1500 Classic with an 8.4 display screen that’s just black. When I shift into Reverse it still stays black and won’t show the backup camera view. However, the shade of black changes slightly when I shift to reverse. It was working fine when I parked in the garage yesterday evening but now this morning, I can’t get anything on the screen. It’s just black. The truck only has 43,000 miles.

Has anybody encountered this problem and knows how to get it working again?

Thanks

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Probably the back light, shine a light on the screen, Can you see the outline in the background?

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Google is your friend. one possible solution;
    How to fix black screen on Dodge Ram?
    How Do You Reset the Screen on a 2019 Dodge Ram? Press and hold down the radio’s tuner button and volume button at the same time for 10-15 seconds. Release. The screen should go black and then power on by itself.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I’d contact your dealership as I think that would be under warranty still. Dumb question, but that’s where I always trouble shoot first, did you accidentally hit the button that turns the display off?

big_g
    Isle, MN

Sometimes we get them and a simple “update” brings them back. Try this link and see if there is an update available for your truck.

boone
    Woodbury, MN

Google is your friend. one possible solution;
    How to fix black screen on Dodge Ram?
    How Do You Reset the Screen on a 2019 Dodge Ram? Press and hold down the radio’s tuner button and volume button at the same time for 10-15 seconds. Release. The screen should go black and then power on by itself.

I’d contact your dealership as I think that would be under warranty still. Dumb question, but that’s where I always trouble shoot first, did you accidentally hit the button that turns the display off?

I tried depressing the tuner and volume bottons for 15 seconds but that didn’t work. I also checked to make sure I didn’t turn the display off. The warranty is not very good on the Ram. It’s only got the basic warranty for 3 year/36,000 miles and 5 year/100,000 mile powertrain so this wouldn’t be covered.

I did some on-line searching and one forum said to disconnect the battery so I think I might try that. I don’t know if I’ll need a radio anti-theft code if I disconnect the battery. I don’t know what the number is if there even is such a code number for this truck. I bought the truck used and the owner’s manual and all the other documentation was missing.

Thanks for the link. I’ll check to see if I can figure out if there’s an update available.

Thanks for everyone’s help.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Boone I own the exact same truck year and everything if you need help with the manual let me know. I have not run into what you dealing with at the shop yet but it sounds like the unit may need to be replaced.

boone
    Woodbury, MN

Boone I own the exact same truck year and everything if you need help with the manual let me know. I have not run into what you dealing with at the shop yet but it sounds like the unit may need to be replaced.

Thanks John. I can get a PDF of the manual on-line but may look to E-Bay to get a printed copy.

Good news…. I disconnected the positive cable from the battery and reconnected it and the screen booted up and is working fine again. Even all the pre-sets on the radio were saved. Backup camera screen is working good. Thanks for everyone’s help.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Great news! Good to know a battery reset took care of it.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.