Black Walleye? Saugeye?

• DTW

I thought this was a strange looking walleye. Caught in the Boundary waters. Notice the lack of white fin tips, Black pectoral fin and black eyes. There is a little speckling on the anal fin I think. Any Ichthyologists out there? The lake was a typical light tannin colored water and other walleyes caught were normal looking. Its a 30 incher.

Attachments:
    1. Wally.jpg

tangler
    Inactive

First, nice fish!

It’s definitely dark, but I don’t “notice the lack of white fin tips” — they’re not as obvious as you’d typically see but the anal and caudal fin (tail) both have white tips.

I personally see zero signs that say Saugeye. No splotches, no spotted fins. (I don’t agree that the anal fin looks speckled; and I’d expect to see OBVIOUS spots on the dorsal fin)

greenheadguru
    Grand Rapids, MN

X2 on tangler…

I’ve done quite a bit of walleye fishing in the BWCA through the Crooked Lake bays especially and have noticed the fish there being darker in general, many with barely any white on their belly. This is especially true with the bigger fish. They’re always fun to marvel at up there with the unique dark color and the aqua blue hue to their fins!

mike mulhern

I have caught some walleye that were black like that, all were big and most came out of deep water in august, great fish you have there.

mike

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Yup, just a dark walleye, we catch them that dark on Rainy occasionally too. It’s tough to tell from your pic but sometimes when they are that dark they have “blue” hue to them as well. That is a beautiful trophy, hope you are getting it mounted or a replica!

greenheadguru
    Grand Rapids, MN

A couple for comparison (one 25″ the other 30″).

Attachments:
    1. 20160612_090905-1.jpg

2. 20160612_074754.jpg

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

I’ve caught fish like that up in Voyageurs National Park. Like Mike said, usually later summer in deep water.

Attachments:
    1. KIMG0715.jpg

greenheadguru
    Grand Rapids, MN

There’s a cool pic of the blue fins!

catmando
    wis

Cool fish, once caught an 8 pound male walleye, blind in one eye, it was just as black ,real old fish?

DTW

Thanks everyone! Good info on this site.

DTW

DTW

Thanks everyone! Great to see pictures of dark walleyes. Thanks for posting. Good info on this site.

DTW

Andrew Pansch

I know the colder water usually is one reason for darker walleye but I thought it also had to do with the iron or ph level as well. I’m no biologist so just what I heard. Beautiful fish.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

Our Canada eyes are always dark.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.