Black Hills Trout Fishing Questions

• mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

Heading to Black Hills to camp and hike with my wife for a few days around the 4th. I have never fly fished or trout fished before but would like to experience catching a trout out of a mountain stream one morning out there if possible.

1) Right now, I am not interested in learning how to fly fish (some day) or buying gear for it.
    2) I’m guessing I can still catch them on some ultra-light spinning rods?
    3) How exactly do you go about fishing for them on spinning rods? Type of baits, lures, presentations that could possibly work?
    4) Any locations you guys know of? Grace Coolidge Walk-In fishing area looks to be a good possibility.

I’m a complete noob when it comes to this type of fishing, any tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

2) I’m guessing I can still catch them on some ultra-light spinning rods?
    3) How exactly do you go about fishing for them on spinning rods? Type of baits, lures, presentations that could possibly work?

Yes use a light and long rod, clear water trout are much more spooky than the stocked trout around here. Cast upstream, fish early mornings right at dawn. Small spinners will work just fine.
    spinner

boat
    SD

I grew up fishing many black hills streams. Small Mepps spinners are deadly out there.
    Try Whitewood creek near Deadwood. Not as much pressure as other areas in the hills.

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

Another thing worth having along would be some hair jigs (or plastics) you could drift along the bottom. Blacks, Browns & Dark Olives. They could represent leeches, sculpins, stone fly larvae, etc. For hair jigs I’d want something more buggy looking than simple deer tail jigs. They would be easy to carry and would give you a 2nd presentation.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Another thing worth having along would be some hair jigs (or plastics) you could drift along the bottom. Blacks, Browns & Dark Olives. They could represent leeches, sculpins, stone fly larvae, etc. For hair jigs I’d want something more buggy looking than simple deer tail jigs. They would be easy to carry and would give you a 2nd presentation.

Yes to the above. In fact, if the stream holds a few larger trout (one never knows) you may well be able to cast ( with no additional weight) a larger weighted sculpin sold for fly fishing. I know I’ve got a couple in my fly box which I could easily cast with my 7 1/2 foot ultra light spinning rod. I use 6lb Nanofil which cast like 1 lb mono.
    1/32 or 1/16 ounce jigs and an ice fishing plastic grub body (mayfly or the like) would be just the ticket.

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

Thanks for the advice and tips guys, it is very much appreciated! Looking forward to giving them a try!

1/32 or 1/16 ounce jigs and an ice fishing plastic grub body (mayfly or the like) would be just the ticket.

I have a few in my ice fishing box that I think are exactly what are you talking about.

Small Mepps spinners are deadly out there.

Not something I believe I have in stock right now, I will make sure to pick some of them up, thanks!

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I’d also bring a couple of small bubble floats so you can do sub-surface presentations of lighter flies. You can probably also fish a dry fly with these although drag will be an issue.

I’ve fished one stream in the Black Hills and I’d have to look at a map again to recall the name. Fairly small and very clear. From the bankside trail, I could see it was heavily fished and the trout were skittish.

But I will say that hoppers can be magic in the west in the summer. Even for someone of very limited fly fishing talent like me.

As usual, seek every opportunity to fish more remote sections. The average tourist angler won’t venture more than a few hundred yards from the bridge or access point.

Grouse

walleye555

The streams in the hills are flowing hard and dirty right now. I would suggest fishing in one of the small lakes in Custer State Park. Try using a clear inline bobber with some water for weight and tie a fly behind about 5 feet of 4lb leader. Reel in slowly and you should get plenty of action. I was out several days ago and got a hit on just about every cast.

jerry b
    western WI

Give Ditch Creek a try. Start @ the Campground and work downstream towards Deerfield lake. Horsethief Lake with flies and a casting bubble were always good for me. Go down below Pactola and wade towards Rapid City with an ultra lite and spinners. Work the eddys into the pools . . . .jerr

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

a small assortment of Worden’s rooster tails in a few colors (dark, bright, natural) and you’ll be set. That’s all I use on spinning gear when I get out there.
    Pack a good digital camera for your hikes! woot I hiked up on these two bulls last year just after the 4th of July

Attachments:
    1. IMG_1972.jpg

2. IMG_1971.jpg

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.