Bitter slot

• Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Any word on the vote to drop the slot length?

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

That would be a slaughter, and the lake would never be the same. I would prefer if they just changed to a different slot size. Get some more fish removed from the lake, while at the same time keeping a large # of the best breeding fish. There we’re rumors that they may remove it on Opitz lake as well. If They totally remove any slots on these 2 lakes. The days of a 100+ fish days will be gone from these lakes.

brad-o
    Mankato

Not yet on the website. There is a great read in this month’s Dakota Country Magazine. They detail the problems the area faces by water stabilization.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Yeah, I agree they shouldn’t do anything on opitz, maybe even try and protect the 16- 20″ fish, but I don’t think there is that much natural reproduction on the smaller lakes anyways, do you? Put and take, I just really enjoy the catching, if I end up with something I can keep for a meal, it is just a bonus, I just wasn’t sure what kind of a zoo it would be if they did change it? Waubay doesn’t have a slot and that lake seems to be pretty healthy. I really don’t know how they will manage the water, it appeared to be 2-3′ low when I was out there, if the snows and the rains stay away, what is going to happen to all of the shallow sloughs stocked full of perch and walleye, try to find them all and enjoy the fishing while ma nature allows it I suppose?

brad-o
    Mankato

The new regulation will not go in effect until January 1st. The perch reproduction on many of the lakes has been terrible. Until the perch rebound fishing will not be the same. Waubay there were looking to take the smallmouth regs off.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.