Birch lake Ely Minnesota

• Nick Haney

I have a trip planed for June 4 though the 11th. I have never fished up there before and I am looking forward to it. I was wondering if anyone out there has done so and what type of lures I should bring up with me any information would be greatly appreciated thank you

Nick,

Where are you staying at while you were up there. The Ely or Babbitt side, the lake is right around 20 miles long. I know that time of year you can still find a lot of fish in the feeder creeks for that lake. Otherwise slip bobbers, or pitching jigs on some of the shallow reefs and mid lake points work really well especially with a late ice out. If it is an early year for ice, #5 glass shads and #5 jointed shads will catch you a lot of walleye as well. That week was also historically good for the big sunfish to be up shallow on the beds in some of the bays. Bright colors work best. You might also get into some really nice trophy smallies up there. Great lake, very big lake but you can find fish up there. Be careful also as they do not mark all the rocks with bouys.

Nick Haney

Thanks for the information we are staying at River Point Resort

Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

Staying at river point I would focus on the little points that jut out on the east side of the lake. Those subtle points can be staging grounds for several species in the spring. The water has a dark tannic stain so gold, firetiger, orange and white are the go to colors. Fish shallow, almost everything you will want to catch will likely be in 12 feet or less at that time.

You will like River Point. They have some really nice cabins, and plenty of close fishing spots. I got my start guiding out of that resort and worked for them for 4 years. They are in an awesome spot, you can catch plenty of fish towards the bridge, and around some of the close islands, you do not need to go very far.

Jon Hebda

Any tips for 4th of July weekend? Heading up to Birch for the first time. I plan on moving around to find them, but would you start fishing edges around 15 ft?

Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

Jon, I would start at about 18-22 feet for bigger fish and shallow in/near the weeds for eaters.
    Leeches spinner rigged/mooneye jigged/slip-float, or any depth appropriate rapalas in white, gold, UV colors or similar patterns should work well.

Nick Haney

i getting ready to up for the week how is the bite going any tips on where to go

Wallyhntr1
    Tonka

Old thread but back on Birch for the 10th year in a row, love it! Been stormy & cold the past couple days, still scratching out some nice fish. Picture of today’s walleye shore lunch & then afterwards found some bull gills.

Attachments:
    1. 80BAC924-6C4D-47CE-9720-41077AAF7229.jpeg

2. 4BD56999-E61D-4952-A418-DDCBB3AA7074.jpeg

3. 407A71B9-A49E-4249-9F93-D075CBD0E871.jpeg

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.