Binoculars advice

• yellowdog
    Alma Wi

Am looking at picking up a set of moderately priced binoculars to throw in the truck. Since IDO is a veritable cornucopia of valuable information I’d like to ask for any advice, preferences, or warnings on brands and different configurations that might be available. Thanks in advance

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Athlon. What price point are you looking to stay within?

jwellsy

Go see what your local Ganders has left. At 60-70% off, any name brand set will serve you well.

munchy
    NULL

Go see what your local Ganders has left. At 60-70% off, any name brand set will serve you well.

They should all be closed by now….

deertracker

I just bought a pair of Vortex Crossfires on ebay for $150. Haven’t really been able to test them yet but from what I have seen so far they are nice and clear.
    DT

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

My price should be less than $300. By the time I got to Gander all that was left was some ice jigs and off brand plastics

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Vortex has some nice e stuff and won’t break the bank.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I love my Nikon Monarchs, but my next pair for kick around will be these for keeping in the truck. They get great reviews and reasonable.

Bill Sackenreuter
    Devils Lake ND

I have a pair of Vortex Diamondbacks,10×42,that I keep in the truck.I have been very happy with them,they run about 200$.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

My price should be less than $300. By the time I got to Gander all that was left was some ice jigs and off brand plastics

For binocs in the truck, you tend to be a further distance. Your also not carrying them a long distance. I have 12×50’s that I really like. Most guys will carry 10×42’s, but the extra magnification at the truck is a bonus. The Athlon Argos in 12×50 are about $230. The next step up in quality of glass would put you in a Midas model at about $379. The Cronus, which has top of the line glass and only available in a 10×42 would run 500

jwellsy

You might also consider 10x monoculars. They stow away much better than binocs do and do a good job when needed. With your budget you can easily get 3 of them to keep one in the truck, one in your tackle box and one at work.

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

Considering the fact that I am blind in one eye from a grouse hunting mishap you have a very valid point.

Hoyt4
    NULL

Vortex Diamondbacks at the price you want also a lifetime warranty. You can pick up online maybe cheaper but at Cabelas right now on sale also.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Considering the fact that I am blind in one eye from a grouse hunting mishap you have a very valid point.

WOW… talk about sound advice.. WTG jwellsy !!! bow

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

Looks like vortex is the clear choice. Thanks for the help guys

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Vortex Diamondbacks at the price you want also a lifetime warranty. You can pick up online maybe cheaper but at Cabelas right now on sale also.

I did not see the Diamondbacks on sale, others were though.

404 ERROR
    MN

I have two Vortex Solo monoculars(no, I don’t use them both at the same time). One is a 10×36 and the other is a 8×25. Both are awesome and have great clarity. I keep one in my deer backpack and one in my waterfowl blind bag. I wouldn’t want to store a full set of bino’s in your truck if you only need a monocular. I am in no way trying to poke fun at all, just seeing the flip side of things. Storing a pair of 10×42 bino’s in an easily accessible location in the truck can become difficult.

guthook1
    Lake Nebagamon Wisconsin

I suppose a variable power spotting scope with a window mount is out of the question?

rvrrunner

I would NOT buy Bushnells. I purchased a pair from their lifetime warranty Legend line a few years ago, and was very disappointed in their refusal to repair them when they went out of alignment. They said that line was discontinued and offered to let me purchase a new pair from their equivalent line for more than I originally paid in the first place. So, that isn’t what I would consider lifetime warranty. I replaced them with a pair from Vortex.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Binoculars are very much a personal preference purchase and you owe it to yourself to try as many models as possible before buying.

IMO, Leuopold and Steiner both offer excellent value and performance and are always worth looking at.

Also, I feel some companies out there are being a bit misleading by prominent use of “American” in their advertising and by doing things like stating their products are “Designed in USA”, “Engineered in Germany” and so forth. I feel this is largely an effort to divert attention from the fact that these optics are actually manufactured in China.

Grouse

Hoyt4
    NULL

I did not see the Diamondbacks on sale, others were though.
    [/quote]

They had them on an end of an isle Friday night when I saw them on sale.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

I still have these for sale. They are decent binos, but they are too heavy for me to carry in the woods everyday. 12 power for the longer range
    binos

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.