Big Sandy Memorial Wknd 2016

• sand-burr
    Grasston, MN

Another memorial weekend has come and gone…. The McGregor area was packed full of people from Friday night till Monday. As a matter of fact the traffic was light enough on Monday that I think most were staying the week. The recreational boats are back on the water and the sand bars are in full swing.
    Would like to do a quick shout out to the area resorts making people happy on the lake! Be patient at these establishments as many of them have some new owners and new employees. As many of you already know I have a seasonal camper at Eagle Point resort and have been there for a better part of 15 years. I was down at the bar and enjoyed their version of a “Juicy Lucy”. Highly recommended! I also went over to a very busy Zorbaz for a quick beer and Nachos. My son made it over on Monday to Big Sandy lodge for breakfast and was not disappointed. Hillcrest is on this weekend’s plans!
    On to the fishing report! I can tell you the sunfish are back to their usual beds and the crappies are on the spawn. As a reminder I want to make sure that you are respecting everyone’s fish on the area lakes. The limit on Big Sandy is (5) sunfish and I can’t wait for them to make the crappies (5). If you see someone breaking the rules turn them in. Take some 8-9 inchers for the pan and have fun with catching. These fish are a beautiful resource that I would like to keep around for my children and yours.
    I want to bring up a great way to keep the kids busy. Take them pike fishing with plastics! Yes, you might lose a few lead heads and tails but the reward is so worth it. I had the opportunity to take my wife, son, sons girlfriend and daughter out for a “running with the pike”. I should have bulked up the line and leaders but there is walleye in this lake. I took my chance and stuck with the 6lb test and 1/4oz lead heads matched with some plastic ring grubs and pulsars. I dialed in the new helix 9 at about 1.3mph and headed for the sun. We easily landed 30-40 small pike with a handful of walleyes. We had one surprise monster 36” pike that gave Taylor a run for the money!
    Enjoy the pics!
    Shannon Kruse

Ny
    N Metro

Great Report!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.