Big Guy Climber Stand Questions

• Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

Hello,
    I was wondering if anyone out there had any opinions, feedback, etc on using a climbing stand. I have been dieting and exercising since January 1, and have lost 56 pounds, putting me under 300 lbs for the first time since I think 8th grade, and was wondering about getting a climber now that I don’t exceed the weight limit on most stands. I was looking at getting the Summit Goliath, as it does have a 350 lb capacity, to fit some wiggle room with hunting gear, etc. I was wondering if anyone has used a climber, and is big, and if they find it easy to get up and down in it. Heights do freak me out, so I usually hunt from the ground, and have had plenty of success, but I want to start using a climber and was just looking for feedback. Any advise, opinions, or feedback, would be appreciated! I have hunted in ladder stands before on private ground, but am sick of putting them up and taking out on public land.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I am a bigger guy about your same size now and have a climber (not sure what brand) and do not like using it at all. Tough to find good trees to use them in, they are noisy af to get up and down the tree, clunky/heavy to haul in and just never really feel safe/sturdy in them. I have been ground hunting for a few years, and like that more for a variety of reasons. But there are some spots that it would help to be off the ground, and I’ve been debating buying a saddle and climbing sticks for those occasions.

duh queen

I used to use a couple of older climbers 20 years ago. Not only were they load and cumbersome to use, The climbing part took a lot of effort and sweated me up every time. If you’re hunting public lands, consider building brush blinds and funnels and choke-points. then you can sneak in with a minimum amount of noise and scent.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Climbers are about as easy as it gets. I always have a summit viper in my truck just in case. The summit is about as comfortable as a portable gets and easy to get up and down a tree. I’m n9t a big guy though. 6 ft 205 pounds. I don’t know why guys are sweating so bad and making so much noise with them. Use stealth tape to carry them so they are quiet when put together and the climbing part is simple. I can be found napping in mine from time to time. I always use para cord to tie the top to the bottom just incase something happened and the bottom slid down. But in 12 plus years I’ve never had that happen once.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I am a bigger guy about your same size now and have a climber (not sure what brand) and do not like using it at all. Tough to find good trees to use them in, they are noisy af to get up and down the tree, clunky/heavy to haul in and just never really feel safe/sturdy in them. I have been ground hunting for a few years, and like that more for a variety of reasons. But there are some spots that it would help to be off the ground, and I’ve been debating buying a saddle and climbing sticks for those occasions.

If the climber isn’t great for you then you’d hate a saddle.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

I have never hunted out of a climber. I just wanted to say its awesome you lost that weight! Keep it going!

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

If you like being lower, a climber would work fine. I used to go up 20’ or so and that was always a process. Do I keep the layers on and go slow to not sweat or climb up and then try put my layers on? Also the size of the tree changes the higher you go, so you have to factor that in when you start. If your feet get cold and you wear large pack boots, that can be cumbersome. I owned a cheaper (Hawk maybe?) stand that never seemed very secure, but I do feel very comfortable in my Summit which I own now. My climber is way more comfortable than the ladder stands I use now.

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

I have never hunted out of a climber. I just wanted to say its awesome you lost that weight! Keep it going!

Thanks Carter! Haven’t had a cookie, chip, or slice of pizza in 10 months. Lots of lean protein, salads, and hiking. But me knee no longer aches and my stamina is so much better, I can traverse canyons and gullies that I once would’ve never imagined. Thanks everyone else for the feedback!

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

I have had others i know lose a lot of weight and have the same benefits. They have said its made them feel a lot younger. You’re stronger than me! I cant resist a lot of that stuff. Especially for 10 months.

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

I have had others i know lose a lot of weight and have the same benefits. They have said its made them feel a lot younger. You’re stronger than me! I cant resist a lot of that stuff. Especially for 10 months.

Well, I noticed it big time last year during hunting and ice fishing season, logging miles in the woods and on the Mississippi backwaters. I knew that my 40th was coming up and I realized that if I wanted to keep doing what I love, I had to make a decision whether I wanted a Star Crunch and a soda, or not. Looking forward to losing more weight, want to get down to sub 250 range, and get myself ready for some out west hunts before I kick the bucket.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I’m not sure where you are from but if we ever cross paths you can try my summit climber out and I can show you the easy way to carry and climb.
    I switch between ground, my beast stand and sticks, lone wolf alpha portable and climber.
    If it’s a long hike in I tend to grab the lone wolf or beast Portable hang on. If I’m not going to far I carry my summit. Or if I plan on sitting longer then 4 hours then it’s my climber for sure.
    Every hunt and spot is treated differently. I love ground hunting more then anything

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

@ 6’6″ and 285 I have used a Goliath since they came out. It’s like a dam recliner, so comfortable. It’s heavy though. I added a molle frame pack to carry it. Keep it attached under the platform. For noise, anything metal is covered. Get a Q-safe strap and a rock climbing harness with a ropeman 1 for your tether. Easy to stay safely attached to tree on your way up or down. Could grab a picture of the setup if you wish this week.

Also saddle hunt. I use a latitude method 2 xl. Built for big guys. Works good.
    Get a hip pinch eliminator (new on market) for more comfort. Ain’t tried mine yet, just arrived last week.

Also climb with hawk helium sticks and ultimaters.

I one stick.

Ddrt/drt/mrs climb

Will be srt climbing before end of season. Works better for leaning trees.

Rappel out of tree if using anything but a climber.

Also have a jx3 hybrid.

Xop hang on

Predator xl platform

We steppladder

Screw in steps

Probably forgetting some more gear..

Rock climbing harness, very important. Super safe. Low cost too. $35.
    Don’t use one of those hunter safety systems. They’re death traps. Just look up suspension trauma. You hang you die. IMO they should be illegal.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Oh, and congrats on your weight loss steven!! Not sure we’ll recognize you when you put up big walleye photos this winter!

I’m in Elgin, you’d be welcome to test some equipment if you like also.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

First off, awesome job on the weight loss. That’s terrific dedication. Keep going, you’re doing great to drop those pounds.

Regarding a climber one question that to me would make or break the deal. The question is do you have enough straight, virtually limbless trees, that are big enough in diameter in the area you hunt that a climber would work at all?

Even with ladder stands on my property I struggle to find trees that are in the right place the right diameter don’t lean too much etc etc etc. Having to use a climbing stand would drive me crazy because there isn’t one tree and 100 that would actually work for a climber. That would mean by the time I found the right tree I’d be 250 yards from where I wanted to hunt.

You might also look at climbing sticks and hang on stands. There are some really nifty designs of these very light hang on stands that are very easy to deploy. As long as you don’t skimp on climbing sticks and give yourself the ability to climb so that you can basically step down onto the stand that might be a really good option and less work than using a climber.

As others have said it’s going to come down to what you’re comfortable with.

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

Oh, and congrats on your weight loss steven!! Not sure we’ll recognize you when you put up big walleye photos this winter!

I’m in Elgin, you’d be welcome to test some equipment if you like also.

Well, to be honest, I still am far from skinny, so I think you’ll recognize me:) Once I get to 160 lbs, then I might look a little different. jester It’s amazing where your body can hide 56 pounds.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

First off, awesome job on the weight loss. That’s terrific dedication. Keep going, you’re doing great to drop those pounds.

Regarding a climber one question that to me would make or break the deal. The question is do you have enough straight, virtually limbless trees, that are big enough in diameter in the area you hunt that a climber would work at all?

Even with ladder stands on my property I struggle to find trees that are in the right place the right diameter don’t lean too much etc etc etc. Having to use a climbing stand would drive me crazy because there isn’t one tree and 100 that would actually work for a climber. That would mean by the time I found the right tree I’d be 250 yards from where I wanted to hunt.

You might also look at climbing sticks and hang on stands. There are some really nifty designs of these very light hang on stands that are very easy to deploy. As long as you don’t skimp on climbing sticks and give yourself the ability to climb so that you can basically step down onto the stand that might be a really good option and less work than using a climber.

As others have said it’s going to come down to what you’re comfortable with.

What diameter tree are you looking for. A 6 inch diameter tree is all the is needed. Typically can get up 12 ft. Limbs can be dealt with or if it’s public I never seem to find a issue figuring out a tree with in 20 yard circumference. 250 is wild, you have to be creative, Typically the woods tell you what tree will work. I haven’t been in a swamp or forest and said damn, I have to be 200 yards that way because not a single tree will work for me. If that was the case I’d retire and sit in a box blind

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

Ended up ordering a new Summit Goliath today. Should have it by the time my Rutcation starts. Best of luck to everyone! Also, if anyone out there has been looking for a Summit Goliath, Safford Trading Company has them for $349.00 shipped, which I found to be cheaper then anywhere else.

Beast

summit titian might fit the bill

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.