BIG CHUBBY WINTER CHANNEL CATFISH!

• FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I have been absent for a while. Not too interested in most topics on this board these days anyway. What brings me back is a topic that I have found very little information on the net and I’d like to share as I know there are some who will listen and go enjoy the outdoors in a different way than most.
    BIG CHUBBY WINTER CHANNEL CATFISH!
    Do some research and you’ll find lots of folks down south chasing blue cats throughout the winter and most that information carries some tidbits regarding channel cats; though they are rarely the target. Information on the Mississippi in MN/WI is null. So, per usual I just dive in and figure out what I can; which brings me here to share for the less adventurous.
    February 11th, I decided to try fishing for channel cats, earliest I ever have from a boat. If I recall there might have been 1 other boat on P4 that day due to temps and wind (Low -5, High 17, Wind gusts 20mph).
    Having extensive history ice fishing channel cats, I knew this might be a tremendous challenge of boat control and detecting light biting fish.
    I started by locating cats via sonar and camera. Seemed pretty easy for me since I’m familiar with identifying species of fish on the humminbird. You’ll find them in the deep main channel holes, in dunes in the main channel, on wing dams, next to rip rap, and lately if there is a clam bed there’s going to be some catfish. Sunday Feb 18th I found an area that literally had 15’ of catfish, nearly altering the depth on your depth finder…. Would be like putting a camera in your minnow bucket. However, they were all cookie cutter size. Most main channel rock bars have catfish in front of, and behind the rock structure; often times suspended. What I have found is they school by size class. Biggest schools are the smallest in size, under 4 LBs. 4-8 # tend to hang together and will be found in more current than their smaller siblings. 8# and up and found in the main channel and relatively spread out.
    Typically on camera I see channel cats hovering off the bottom.
    If you were paying attention, that is a lot of different places to find catfish! Within 1-2 miles of P4 dam right now, there is oodles of them. With P3 frozen, you’ll see me out there for a while yet until the ice breaks.
    To start I dropped anchor on Feb 11th directly in front of a small school of suspended catfish on a rock spine protruding into the current. Used my standard summer channel catfish setup: Medium Rippin Lips Rod, 30# Big Game Mono, Swivel & 15” Leader, 8/0 circle hook. After baiting with normal sized cut bait for summer (1.5” squares) I set my 3 lines. I think it took 8 minutes for the first catfish of 12.5 LBS. SWEET! The rest of the afternoon consisted of another 8 fish and about 40 missed bites and lost fish. Gradually I started downsizing baits and extending leader length but was not happy with the amount of missed fish.
    The following weekend the 17th I brought a friend fishing, we spent an hour fishing for walleye and I suggested we conclude our walleye fishing until the sun went down and go for catfish; except this time, I had a new rig.
    Using a Kentucky knot I rig up a drop shot rig with two dropper loops to attach hooks. There is no terminal tackle in this setup except the hooks. Using a 3oz weight, my first dropper was ~6” above the weight with ~6” loop and a snelled hook from that loop (Really cool knot!). The second dropper ~18” above the weight. Each dropper line had a small float like you’d use on a lindy rig to help levitate the dropper lines. I downsized all hooks to 4 or 5/0 (Tiny in my book). I gave my buddy a standard slip sinker rig like I used the week prior except with a smaller hook because I did get lots of action on the bottom rig; I didn’t want to dismiss it yet. We used spot lock and held rods because I figure that these fish aren’t moving to the bait; you need to put it in front of them and spot lock is more mobile than an anchor. Also, having a hand on the rod would hopefully result in more fish to the boat.
    If you want to see this knot watch this video: Chris Souders 5 Rigs For Catfish – YouTube

Kyle caught his first catfish in under 3 minutes. I missed my first 3 minutes later. What we then began to notice was a trend; I was out fishing Kyle significantly and all my fish were coming on the upper dropper loop. We moved here and there and found different size classes of fish. Biggest roughly 16 LBS. Didn’t take long for me to rig kyle up with a drop shot rig so he could be in on the game. We also lost several after the initial hookup or on the way to the boat. We soon learned to back off the drag and take our time as many of these fish were lip hooked and the hook is easy to tear out. Most bites required you to reel down to set the circle hook, and only a couple tried to hit and run.
    Interestingly enough the next day I was out alone, and the bottom dropper was the clear winner. All lessons learned the day prior helped from the start on Sunday with first fish taking less than 3 minutes and weighing in at 14.5LB.
    Found that sunrise throughout the day the bite was good. Though there were definite periods where the fish turned off. Sunset activity really died and I have not tried after dark as of yet. I would be surprised to find there isn’t a better night bite.
    In conclusion all the above is short learned information and not a significant enough to mark it as gospel; however, it is just the start of my winter catfishing learning and tactics. I was surprised how fast they will bite when you put the bait in front of them; Kyle had one cast where he didn’t even turn around before the rod bent over. If you aren’t on them, move your bait. I was regularly moving my bait every 1-3 minutes hoping to introduce it to a catfish. For some reason in the 3 times I’ve tried to catch one, the first cast of the day has resulted in a fish in under 10 minutes. Maybe I’m most diligent at the beginning of a session to locate and be on top of fish. I will likely continue to downsize my bait; currently running a piece a little bigger than ½”. Fishing the main channel dunes, it works well to cast to the side of the boat and allow the rig to slowly sweep the current. After all the fish are spread out here the most.
    So, if you have a catfish itch mid-winter check out the Mississippi river and use some of these tips to catch your biggest catfish.
    I probably missed a bunch of little details; but hope this is enough to get someone started.

Attachments:
    1. CameraZOOM-20180211132345506.jpg

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Here’s some pictures from pool 4 on the real cold days.

Attachments:
    1. CameraZOOM-20180204091635973.jpg

2. CameraZOOM-20180210085027101.jpg

BigWerm
    SW Metro

That is a great report, thanks for sharing FBRM!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I need to get my phone fixed.

crazy

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

just recent two weeks has me rethinking my summer fishing routines. If these catfish, as lethargic as they are, can be caught in less than a few minutes of placing a bait in front of them… And in the summer I drop baits and wait 15 minutes for significantly more aggressive fish even on a negative day… Maybe I’m fishing waaaaaaay too slow in the summer and should be more actively bouncing baits around like I am now in the winter. I know in the summer they’ll pounded it immediately if you put it in their face and I suppose when that doesn’t happen the rest of my strategy (majority) is to get them to move to my bait. Maybe the summer heat makes me lazy ) or that I know they’ll move to my bait so I don’t try to move it to them. I also wonder how well a drop shot rig would work in the summer and if they are suspending as much then as now.

Stay tuned for channel Catfishing on a fly rod article this summer if I can bring myself to rig up for it. I know catfish are floor to ceiling predators.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Cat’s on a fly?! Who would of thunk!!

I’ll be heading up Nort for that adventure! It’s all but booked.

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

thanks for sharing toast

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Hey FBRM, is that a Cabelas CatMaxx reel on the red rod in the first pic? I picked one up last year but didn’t get to use it much. Wondering what your thoughts are on it, qualitywise.

Jeff mattingly
    Lonsdale, Mn

Great read. My fishing partner and I have been poking around the idea of winter catfishing. Fishblood you have my wheels turning. Keep posting what you find out, and welcome back.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Great insight as always fishblood.

Thanks for sharing.

mr-special
    MPLS

Great job bud. I’ll have to tag along one day with ya

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

What a very informative wright up Thank You and a few questions as I have never targeted cats in winter. If you don`t mind.

What are you using for cut bait? You mentioned most of the cats are suspended do you mean just off the bottom or higher in the water column? Did you find any difference in the bite from fish in front of main channel holes, rock etc versus fish deeper in the holes or back end of such structure? If the current comes up do this fish move much distance or stay where they are until water temps change?

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Hey FBRM, is that a Cabelas CatMaxx reel on the red rod in the first pic? I picked one up last year but didn’t get to use it much. Wondering what your thoughts are on it, qualitywise.

It is a cat maxx – BPS.
    I have 4 and they are used solely for channel catfish.
    Good reel for price.

What are you using for cut bait?

I will always advise to use fresh bait natural to the fishery.

You mentioned most of the cats are suspended do you mean just off the bottom or higher in the water column?

Anywhere from just off bottom to 15′ off bottom… You won’t find one suspended 15′ off bottom unless there’s 14′ of catfish below it… Well maybe you will but I wouldn’t advise trying to target a sole suspended fish that far off bottom.

Did you find any difference in the bite from fish in front of main channel holes, rock etc versus fish deeper in the holes or back end of such structure?

I think your asking if there more active in one location vs another. I will say the larger the school the higher likelihood they are in lesser current and a more broad structure like a “hole”.

Smaller schools are bigger fish and as noted in my article bigger fish are not found in the lesser current.
    Generally speaking the more lazy the fish the less current they’ll lay in. Find your active fish in some current. They’re not hanging in current because they want to relax, they are on the food highway.

f the current comes up do this fish move much distance or stay where they are until water temps change?

It is my belief that all fish have a current strength preference. Their preference varies for many reasons. I suggest you read Brad Durick book on lateral movement.

Given no water temp change, an increase in current in their present location will push them to find the same current strength they enjoyed prior to the rise in current.

Same as walleyes. Example. Your pitching a 3/16 jig and hammering walleyes. Current comes up. You need to find a new area-might be very close to old area, where that 3/16 oz weight is performing the same. That jig size is helping you determine the current strength.

When we get to the point where temperature is fluctuating, they will move out of current as temp drops and into current as temps rise. This temperature change is a direct impact on their metabolism and forces lateral movement.

There’s books to write on these subjects guys. You’ve got plenty of info above to get started right.

Find fish. Fish em.

Fish have tails, not mortgages, so they aren’t prone to stay in one place very long.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Thank You for the replies I may have to give this winter Catfishing a try as I never thought to target Cats in the winter.

tomr
    cottage grove, mn

thanks for the report!

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

A 23 pound pig in the hands of a tough 12 year old!

waytogo

Attachments:
    1. CameraZOOM-20180303133052019.jpg

Jeff mattingly
    Lonsdale, Mn

That’s a true hog. Fishblood what’s you PB channel cat on the mississippi?

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

That’s a true hog. Fishblood what’s you PB channel cat on the mississippi?

I’m more than likely approaching over 20 channels 36″ long. That is the first one that has exceeded 19 pounds, which is my PB weight on the sippi.

I’m hoping to catch another 36″ here soon to tie Kieran before they start dropping weight when the water comes up this spring

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

No true Giants this weekend, but I did catch two fish on one line yesterday )
    Counted 34 to the boat.
    Average probably 25″.

Attachments:
    1. CameraZOOM-20180310163021909.jpg

2. 25693.jpeg

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Finally locating some nicer fish in pool 3. First fish yesterday, 32″.

I’ll quit posting now, should be enough pictures to support the article now. Get out and try it folks!

Attachments:
    1. CameraZOOM-20180312171856798.jpg

EW6

Very informative post!

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

@Dfresh

Thanks for asking about the cat Maxx reels… In the last two weeks I have two that have gone downhill fast. The bail won’t close unless you lift the thumb bar.

I do not think I’ll be replacing them with another Catmaxx since they are about 1 year old. I do use the snot outta them. I’ll probably get a Corvallis or Cardiff as they have been solid for me so far, though but used as regularly.

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Hmmmm….I bought one Catmaxx with a promo from Cabelas so it really only cost me about 20 bucks. I replaced a 40 year old Daiwa Millionaire that I used dutifully until it just broke down. I’ll keep it in mind as I have a casting rod with no reel right now and am in the market.

sharptailer
    IGH, MN

I have a Corvallis 401(left hand) that has caught lots of sturgeon and catfish over the last ten years. I’d another one. Cabales has the 401 for $75. Didn’t see the 400(right hand).

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I’ve been debating going out to my shorefishing spot on the MN and trying to get into some chans. Usually go at sunset. Been thinking of going during the day one of these times but never know if it’s worth the trek. Probably just end up doing it just to find out.

monkeymaster

Cool write up ,
    Thanks
    I fIsh pool 11, and this will be my 2nd year with a boat.
    Could you explain the term, dunes ?
    Thanks again

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.