big buddy heater takes forever to ignite

• slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

Does anyone else’s big buddy heater take forever to ignite the first time? I have a longer hose to the tank. Seems like need to hold the knob down on pilot forever and then click it back and forth? anything I’m missing?

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I got about a 1/2 dozen of them and they all seem to have the same issue. Especially with a new one. Lighting seems to get better once they get “broke in”
    Gets frustrating at times.

arcticm1000
    New Richmond, WI

Mine takes forever also, especially when you using the 20 pound tank with the hose with the regulator. Not as bad running off of 1 pounders.

Travis

Mine has done the same. I use a 11lb tank on a longer hose. I have found that you need to make sure the regulator on the hose is somewhat warm, I carry mine under my coat on the ride to where I am fishing. Also any flake of snow or dust that gets to the orphesicies will inhibit the lighting of the flame. Any wind or breeze will not allow it to light properly. Online there are many different screens you can build to help with this issue. Mine is real finicky like that….and I have had mine 3 years. hope that helps.

here is a link to the one I build for my heater. Works awesome and this last ice trip last week, I never had the same issues ive been having for past couple seasons. Good luck

bken

I think every time to disconnect and reconnect the hose there is air in the hose?

roger

If you Have the long hose with the quick disconnect you can purge the air out of the hose by pressing down on the valve in the center. you will know when the air is out. Saves a lot of time.

nu98walleye

It is most likely because of air in the line. I usually carry a spare 1lb er with and hook that up opposite the side where the hose connects. Start the heater with the 1lb tank attached and once its lit then remove the one lb er and it keeps running of the 20lb tank.

CaptainMusky

If you Have the long hose with the quick disconnect you can purge the air out of the hose by pressing down on the valve in the center. you will know when the air is out. Saves a lot of time.

This!!!
    If after each use of the heater you turn off the tank first, then let the heater burn off the gas in the line, the line needs to refill. This is causing it to take so long to refill the line and ultimately light the heater.
    Purge the line before connecting, I do it every time now and it usually lights on the first try.
    Also, as nu98walleye says, you can help the issue by having a 1# cylinder on the opposite side.

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

thanks. sounds like purging the line is the way to go. 1lbs trick sounds pretty slick.

Rod Bent

Try turning it to pilot and hold down for a 10 count. Turn back off and then back to pilot. That usually allows gas to reach the ignitor. If it ignites hold for a 10 count. That allows the thermocouple to heat. Then turn it to low until screen glows red. Should be good to go.

prospector
    Wyoming

I hold my pilot down for exactly 47 seconds and she lights every time. Good idea on the purge.

rwilliam
    St.Paul, Mn

I clean the Igniter and the pilot assembly with a toothbrush being careful not to move either out of position.
    I’m using 1lb. bottles but the cleaning seems to help mine fire up easier.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.