Big buddy heater pos

• Donald trumpet

Brand new out of box used once, ran bottles out of propane as it was on high -15 and when i change out the propane it would not restart ! Get back to warm cabin try it again worked proper . Emailed Mr.heater ,they got back to me said it probably needed to be cleaned i called bs it was brand new and worked fine when warm. Never buy one again just POS if you have fiddle with it every time you go out! Kerosene heater all the way cause I like the compact design and less weight with no 20 lb bottle.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

How do you really feel?

curleytail

Mine has been flawless for years. Sometimes after changing the propane tanks it takes a littlw while to purge air out to get it to light. I use 1 lb tanks.

I’d follow back up with Mr. Heater or let us know what symptoms the heater is having and somebody here can probably help.

Tucker

onestout
    Hudson, WI

That is a great first post, thank you for your insight.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

you created an account to bich about a heater…..WOW. im gonna go with operator error

Deuces

Dang, like my big buddy so much was hoping this POS was a new model. grin

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

Ian,
    I wouldn’t have taken you for an ice-fishing person,,,,

HRG

Attachments:
    1. Ian-Sweet.jpg

skunked

I have a probably un-related problem with a big buddy heater as well…..

Will run on propane bottles for about five-ish minutes and then shut down dead, not peter out but go from full on high (or whatever settings it was on I’ve tested all three) to off. When running off a large tank it doesn’t do this.

Mr Heater also told me to clean it, which I did, and the problem persisted.

Anyone have any ideas??

Outdraft
    Western Wi.

I’d gladly take it off your handd depending on where you live, I’d give ya a sunflower heater

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Will run on propane bottles for about five-ish minutes and then shut down dead, not peter out but go from full on high (or whatever settings it was on I’ve tested all three) to off. When running off a large tank it doesn’t do this.

Anyone have any ideas??

Wonder if the gas sensor is getting tripped and killing it? Do you have ventilation in your house?

Wardcst

Brand new out of box used once, ran bottles out of propane as it was on high -15 and when i change out the propane it would not restart ! Get back to warm cabin try it again worked proper . Emailed Mr.heater ,they got back to me said it probably needed to be cleaned i called bs it was brand new and worked fine when warm. Never buy one again just POS if you have fiddle with it every time you go out! Kerosene heater all the way cause I like the compact design and less weight with no 20 lb bottle.

Same thing happened last year to me
    with 11# tank.
    -15 and high wind.
    I think the propane was too cold to vaporize.
    Heater only did that 1 time.
    I do not leave it in back of the pickup on way to lake in below zero temps anymore.
    And I do not wait until I am cold to start.
    Lesson learned I almost froze.

Donald trumpet

Replacement bottles were warm and tried purging for 1/2 hr worked good after unit was brought inside warm cabin

B-man

Your regulator was probably froze up.

Stuff happens in extreme cold. Get over it, especially running one pounders on high.

It’s like physics and chemistry and stuff….

You’ll learn over time.

catmando
    wis

need a good belly laugh in the am, dam things.

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

Ian/Donald,
    Why the name change? Now that we’ve established that you are just a troll, how was the fishing?

HRG

Peterbob
    Menasha, WI

I have had my buddy heater for 6 years. I transport it in my sled well running across the lake beating the urine out of it. It has a broken handle and some other issues but it always fire’s up. My guess problem was human error!?!?

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

I’ve had a little buddy heater since 2011. No maintenance, really don’t treat it great, just throw it in the sled and go. Never had problems with it. I use the 1 lb propane tanks. Make sure it’s sitting level, wind is ripping through a little open corner of the shack in a portable, etc.

buck-slayer

Buy a new one and return faulty in new ones box.

Gary M

Anyone have any ideas??

I had the same problem last Sunday. I have been using Flameking refills .I just switch empty one with full ran for few minutes then went out .It was my last full tank .So I waited few minutes turned it on went on for a minute and then went out again.
    I then unscrewed 1lb tank and thought it might be froze up . I then shook the 1lb tank to get liquid lp to move around screwed it back and she worked fine after that.
    Hope that works for you

moustachesteve
    Twin Cities

What were you blowing?

Attachments:
    1. idiot-box.jpg

Kirk Charipar
    west central wi

you created an account to bich about a heater…..WOW. im gonna go with operator error

With a name like “Donald Trumpet” what did you think? rotflol

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

Hey Troll, there’s quite a few thousand of us out that will dispute your original statement.

JEREMY
    BP

I agree they are POS. I broke my sunflower heater on way to the lake, ran to hardware store all they had was stupid buddy heaters. Only way I ever got it to light was to cover with my hands and hold down button for like 5 minutes then it would poof and pilot would finally light. As soon as try to turn on it would shut off. I threw that thing in the dumpster I wasn’t gonna return it and ruin the next guys day they sold it too.

milemark_714

I’d gladly take it off your handd depending on where you live, I’d give ya a sunflower heater

That might not turn out well-BOOM!
    The buddy heater I have has always lit off with no drama,far better than a sunflower heater.

CaptainMusky

That might not turn out well-BOOM!
    The buddy heater I have has always lit off with no drama,far better than a sunflower heater.

And no chance of CO poisoning. My first heater back in HS was a Coleman Focus. At the end of the day I always had a massive headache and actually threw up a few times. I later learned what the cause was.

Anonymous
    Inactive

And no chance of CO poisoning

This statement is false, any gas appliance can produce CO. The buddy heater does have some features that will shut off the unit if there is not enough O2 to have the pilot burn, but that is all, no CO detector, no CO monitor. Basically, the pilot light is designed to be weak and go out if the O2 is low, especially after people modify the pilot so it doesn’t blow out as easy.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.