Best way to attach reel to split grip custom rod?

• FishDThere

I am new to the forum and ordered a custom rod for the first time. I am curious as to what people are using to attach their reels to a split-grip cork rod? Thanks for the input.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Funny you ask now as I am currently out right now deploying my strategy. I think I’m the only one using cable ties, but it works for me.

Attachments:
    1. 20180116_155308.jpg

2. 20180116_155338.jpg

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I use and like electrical tape, just put a layer of painters tape or sticky side out electrical tape down first.

Andy get off your phone you’re missing a big mark!!! rotflol

tucrs
    NW Metro

3M 70 Tape. I love the stuff. Expensive but one roll is literally 5 seasons for me. I know you can find it in a bunch of other brands too.

Bob Schultz
    Wausau,Wi

Do you use the 3M 70 on EVA handles also?

Christian Slick

I use and like electrical tape, just put a layer of painters tape or sticky side out electrical tape down rotflol

Painters tape followed by electrical tape for me as well. I put it on tight but not too tight. Bands always bothered me and dug into my hand.

gimp

be careful with the cable ties, they can cut you at the cut off end. Wal-mart uses them to keep the reels on the combos.

Dylan Salow

Cork split-grip rods I use the bands while my EVA handle rods get the silicon tape just too much indentation for my liking on the EVAs. Overall, I can’t say I have a preference for one just my opinion.

gary d
    cordova,il

Use hockey tape it’s cloth tape. Besides you can get in different colors.

Troy Hoernemann
    Nevis mn

I use castrating bands works good last a long time

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

Electrical tape over a layer of Teflon tape. Protects the cork and doesn’t slip.

blank

Use hockey tape it’s cloth tape. Besides you can get in different colors.

I decided to try hockey tape this year and so far so good. I really like it.

White Ranger

Gone Fishing wrote:
    …Now I use equine ankle wrap cut into strips the long way so it stretches (wrap will not stretch if cut the short way). Wrap onto rod as if it were tape. The beauty to this stuff is that it only sticks to itself, it will not pull out pit paste when removed and is breathable(will not hold water beneath the wrap).

I have heard of guys using this stuff. I picked up a roll and had it sitting around all year and I finally tried it. I liked it so much I tore the tape off of several other rods and I ordered a 12 pack of 2″ in assorted colors from that “A” place. I cut rolls .8″ wide from the 2″ roll by putting it on my lathe and using an Z-Acto knife. Now I can color code my handles to match my rod wraps. This will allow me to catch many more fish. =)

It’s also available in 1″ width if you don’t want to cut it. It goes by various names – sports wrap, vet wrap, cohesive wrap, etc.

Attachments:
    1. 81xbzlLSWcL._SX522_-1.jpg

White Ranger

be careful with the cable ties, they can cut you at the cut off end. Wal-mart uses them to keep the reels on the combos.

Yes, combos are sold that way by many stores to prevent theft and reel swaps. You’re supposed to remove the cable ties and attach the reel yourself with tape or bands. =)

Dan Baker

3M 70 Tape. I love the stuff. Expensive but one roll is literally 5 seasons for me. I know you can find it in a bunch of other brands too.

This is the best option i have found also. It is very stretchy and you only need two 7 inch pieces to do one reel and it leaves behind not trace (other than that the cork will age around the tape, and the spot under will look brand new). The Clam reel tape is equally great, even a little thicker, but it is about 3 times the price of the 3M tape.

Jamin
    Hudson, WI

I’ve been using the silicone tape the past couple season on my cork handle rods and like it a lot. But I noticed on my Bullwhip with EVA grips that it seems to not hold as tight and the reel seat will twist a bit taking it off-center with the guides.

Anyone experience this? I’m thinking of redoing it with a layer of painters tape down first to see if that stops the slipping.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Can we safely assume that’s the first time cable ties have ever been attached to a TUCR?

Whatever works for you Andy! waytogo

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

My fingers rest on the top. The only thing that cut my hand was an errant dorsal fin from an active walleye. Was more of a puncture wound than a cut I suppose.

Yes, combos are sold that way by many stores to prevent theft and reel swaps. You’re supposed to remove the cable ties and attach the reel yourself with tape or bands. =)

Funny… lol To prevent theft and reel swaps I installed the cable ties instead of tape or bands. Who’s on first? razz

Can we safely assume that’s the first time cable ties have ever been attached to a TUCR?

Whatever works for you Andy! waytogo

Yes, thanks Nick…whatever works for Andy. wink

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20170104_202350.jpg

2. IMG_20170104_202206.jpg

Kevin Roskam

Andy Cox, those blue letters are a link to the website…

Attachments:
    1. image-2.jpg

Troy Hoernemann
    Nevis mn

Castrating bandshttps://www.premier1supplies.com/p/o-rings-container-with-o-rings?gclid=CjwKCAiAhfzSBRBTEiwAN-ysWBAl3jr9BMh7VAsMgUFoltYKvh5ecI2ZzCFaxjd4J2MtzHShMou1aBoCtCsQAvD_BwE

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.