Best Truck Tire – HELP

• fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

So what did you end up going with? And how do you like them?

I went with the hankook dynapro. So far I’ve been really happy with them. The ride is much smoother and quieter than I expected them to be. Much better than the Coopers for sure. They did real well in the snow and ice we had this winter. Time to get my first rotation done. If they wear well and last near 60,000 miles I will be real pleased with the purchase

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Randy Wieland wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>gizmoguy wrote:</div>
    Surprised nobody has mentioned The Michelin m/s. Great traction and you can get up to 80k out of them. You will pay a bit more for them. But cost per mile is very good.

Michelin is all I will buy. I’ve gotten suckered on trying other brands and ended up pizzed every time. I consistently get 75-80k miles, great all around for wet and snow. Saving 150 to 200 dollars on tires that only lasted 35 to 50k tops has been a joke. Not on me anymore, won’t play that game. Only way I’ll run different tires is if I’m paid to.

All other tires in my opinion are engineered for entertainment purpose

Hey Randy which michelin model do you drive?

THX

LTX M/S & LTX A/Ts

TMF89

Ironically, I also switched to Michelin LTXs last fall. I wanted the M/S, but they’re no longer in production, so I got the newer model, LTX Defenders I think? Same characteristics according to the sales guy. I have to say I’m super happy with them so far, they gripped really well in all the snow and ice conditions I faced this winter, whether it was glare ice or blazing a trail through a foot of snow. I was actually a little disappointed, I bought a set of chains over the summer and never got to try em out! Also didn’t need 4×4 nearly as often, I had Goodyear Wrangler SRs (OEM) on before, and they were pretty crappy in winter conditions. I actually had a pretty scary moment when I was musky fishing in the fall, the whole truck started sliding down the boat ramp while we were unloading the boat!

Denny O
    Central IOWA

I’m with the last 2 posts on the Michellins LTX AT’2I’ve gone through 3 sets on 2 trucks and just last Dec put on my second set on this truck. that just turned over 100,000 miles this month

walleyebuster5
    Central MN

FYI the Hankook Dynapro’s are discontinued and a new model should be out “soon” according to some local dealers.

Dave Ansell
    Rushford, MN

I put the Dynapros on my Tahoe and they are ok but not as impressed with the winter traction as I was with the Michelin LTX’s I had. I will go back to the Michelin.

mike e

If anyone is considering Cooper AT3’s you should really take a hard look at their AT/W’s. They are basically AT3’s with some differences that make them excellent in snow but still a year round tire. They made the nearly new Continentals on my other truck seem shot. Traction is at the top of my list for tire priorities.

If off road is a priority BF all terrain t/a ko2’s are one of the toughest tires out there. They also have the snowflake/3 peak symbol on the sidewall.

Tire choices can be agonizing. Choose wisely, you have to live with the decision for a while.

Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

Anyone running the Falken Wildpeak AT3W?

Gary M

Just Bought Falken Wildpeak AT3W about Month ago. We got 10 inches of snow yesterday had good traction.They seem fine to me .My driveway is hilly and was icy before it snowed seemed to have good traction But don’t have enough miles yet to say anything bad . Stock Tires on my truck were Good Year SR-A not very good.
    I did noticed my mileage went done about 1 to 2 MPG but its a trade off for good traction..

Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

I did noticed my mileage went done about 1 to 2 MPG but its a trade off for good traction..

My MPG always goes down at least 1 when putting on an aggressive all terrain tire. Doesn’t seem to matter what kind.

I’m just sick of spending $230 ish dollars a tire. Everyone I know that runs the Falkens love them (3 people). They are much cheaper….

Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

Pat McSharry wrote:
    They are much cheaper….

I just looked them up for my truck, and they’re $215/tire.

Weird. One of the local tire shops are selling them for $175 for my size. 275/65R18

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Weird. One of the local tire shops are selling them for $175 for my size. 275/65R18

\

Mine are 275/55R20. Must explain the difference.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I love my Hankooks but thinking of trying these next just from the reviews.

Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT

Gary M

Mine are 265/65R18 $834 total out the door

outdoorsmn

The wear was not the best, They were a little more noisy than I expected given the tred pattern on them. They also did not seem to grip well on wet or icy roads. They were a OK tire, Just not good enough that I want to go with them again

I’m on my 2nd set of Cooper AT3’s. First set was on a Ford Ranger, second set is currently on my Honda Pilot. Full disclosure, I sold the Ford Ranger after about 15k miles and just had them installed on my Pilot this fall so I can’t comment on tread life. However, I really like the traction, the tires got me out of many sticky ice fishing situations.

The AT3’s are rated for 60k which is more than most AT tires, sounds like I shouldn’t expect them to last near that?

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Pat and Ralph, are both of you looking at the same load rating too? For instance my load range is “E” 10 plys.

A set of 4 of mine are 1100 dollars plus mount, balance and disposal.

Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

Pat and Ralph, are both of you looking at the same load rating too? For instance my load range is “E” 10 plys.

The E’s for mine are $195.00 a tire locally. Standard loads are 175.

They quoted me $932.00 out the door for the E 10 ply LT275/65R18

$890.00 out the door for the Standard Load.

STandard Loads are a lot lighter and I won’t be anywhere near their load range as it would be past my payload for the truck anyways… I may still get the 10 plys. Not a huge price change.

At the end of the day I’ll probably just end up spending the money and getting the K02’s because I know they rock. I just thought I would see how many guys are running the Falkens and how they like them.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Just for anyone wanting the info the Cooper AT3 has been redesigned. It is now the AT3 4s. Mileage is supposed to be improved. I can’t promise you that because I don’t know anyone with enough miles on them yet. Never heard many traction complaints on the AT3. Heel/toe wear is an issue on any agressive tread pattern regardless of brand of tire. When you get irregular wear is when the noise gets terrible. Cooper makes a very good SUV tire or on a pickup that isn’t off road much. It is a Cooper SRX.

riverruns
    Inactive

What is everyone running for a truck they are putting tires on?

I put AT3 tires 10ply on my 2500 dodge diesel mega cab. They didn’t last me long. 30K top.

Rotated every 4K. Free rotation so why not.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

I put AT3 tires 10ply on my 2500 dodge diesel mega cab. They didn’t last me long. 30K top.

Don’t doubt it but diesel trucks are noted to be hard on tires.

joe_the_fisher
    Wisconsin Dells WI

Anyone running the Falken Wildpeak AT3W?

I’m running those on my 2013 F-150 and just love them. Great in the snow and real quiet on the Hwy. l believe mine are a 285/65r18 and it was right around $900 mount balance and out the door. Seem to be wearing great also.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

riverruns,

Mine is a Chevy Duramax 2012 2500HD. And I’m slowing my daily millage down now. I’m at 111180, total now. I’m just a just breaking in the the new Michelin’s that I had installed last.

I never rotate, Dealer does all repairs, LOF every 5K (on diesel, 3k on gas).

Average on my tires are varied because of side puncture are 18,000 to total wear of 82,000 miles.

I’ve never had Coopers, Generals (worth a crap), Wranglers, (never got 40,000 miles or close to), Dad had BF Goodrich (I thought they did him well) and went to Michelins too, (I don’t know why)

walleyebuster5
    Central MN

I was able to find a set of Hankook Dynapros at my dealer in town (happened to be the same dealer I bought my last set of Hankooks from 28 months ago but the last place I checked!) for 843.51 out the door. Asked him when I put the last set on and it was 51k miles ago. I could have gotten another 10k out of them and my goal was to get to august but just couldn’t take the slipping around anymore. I was very please to get 50 out of them!!

Jeremy
    Richland County, WI

I put the Dynapro AT M’s on the Jeep Liberty this year and they do very well in the snow and with the size being 227/75 15 they were about $105 each installed

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I put almost 600K miles on an ’01 duramax. Currently running a 2003 Duramax with 300K miles
    Rotation every 6-7K miles

FYI on the LTX M/S2 Michilen. These were discontinued and replaced by the Defender. Which also went from a 70,000 mile tire to 50,000 mile tire. After some research I found the tread pattern was a little different and the rubber formula. I found a set of M/s2’s in a warehouse that had a 2014 date stamp, so I went with them this last time. I’ve ran the LTX A/T’s and really liked them, they just have a little more road noise on the interstate. That will be my next set when I reach 375K.

Woody

I have an 04 ram 2500 with the hemi and 239000 miles on it now. Went with Hankook atm’s last set of tires and right now have 76000 miles on them. Getting them changed out soon but wow what a great tire! Rotate every 8000 miles. I pull heavy trailers at work and boat and 5th wheel camper also on the weekends. Couldn’t be more happy with the tires.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Angler II wrote:</div>
    I have cooper AT3’s and have been happy with them after 12,000 miles. They are a little noisy. What don’t you like about them?

They get worse as they wear,you would think you have bad wheel bearings.Traction on wet surfaces is almost nil,and they need frequent rotations.They are about as bad as BF Goodrich Rugged Fails(Trails).

X2 on the wet traction problems big time. Entering the freeway at 55 mph during rain I fishtailed and almost ate the guard rail. Tires were 3 months old at the time. Very unhappy with the wet performance of the AT3’s. That being said they are decent in snow, just not rain. Won’t be buying again personally. Very loud as you all mentioned

404 ERROR
    MN

Might as well give an update. I initially was against the Pathfinder AT when comparing to a Hankook Dynapro ATM. I ended up purchasing 275/70-18 Pathfinder AT E-range tires about 2 months ago. I have roughly 5,000 miles on them and rotated them last weekend. 75% of my miles were pulling the boat or ice house. I noticed almost zero tread wear in those 5,000 miles.

The Hankooks were $205 and the Pathfinders were $154 at the time. It was a tough decision, but I’m happy so far. Hoping the tires last me 60,000+ miles, but would be happy with slightly less for the price I paid. The traction is just good in my opinion.

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 109 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.