best Treble Hooks

• joc
    Western and Central, NY

Who do you think makes the best “particularly the sharpest”, etc. treble hooks: say VMC, Owner, Mustad, Gamakatsu, etc..

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

There is actually three parts to that question:
    1. who has the sharpest hooks out of the package

2. which hooks endure the most abuse and retain their edge

3. what size and application / is that STYLE available in that size

#1 is pretty generic and you will get quality sharpness out of most of the major manufactures. Gama, VMC, and Owner are probably very comparable out of the package for relative sharpness.

#2 – Gamakatsu round bends in the smaller sizes like #8, #10. I run the 10’s on my small size blades and they take amazing punishment off of rocks, clams, and other debris. For cranks common in #4, #2 I run all Gamakatsu EWG trebs. I’ve tried them all and I don’t believe there is a stickier treb on the market for long term use. Very little effort in a hook set as they are razor sharp and hold their edge after multiple fish.

#3 – EWG’s are not available in the smaller sizes like 8’s, 10’s, 12’s. Nor is some of the 2X or other special applications hooks. So make sure you know that a particular style you want is available in the size you need

steve-fellegy
    Resides on the North Shores of Mille Lacs--guiding on Farm Island these days

There is actually three parts to that question:
    1. who has the sharpest hooks out of the package

2. which hooks endure the most abuse and retain their edge

3. what size and application / is that STYLE available in that size

#1 is pretty generic and you will get quality sharpness out of most of the major manufactures. Gama, VMC, and Owner are probably very comparable out of the package for relative sharpness.

#2 – Gamakatsu round bends in the smaller sizes like #8, #10. I run the 10’s on my small size blades and they take amazing punishment off of rocks, clams, and other debris. For cranks common in #4, #2 I run all Gamakatsu EWG trebs. I’ve tried them all and I don’t believe there is a stickier treb on the market for long term use. Very little effort in a hook set as they are razor sharp and hold their edge after multiple fish.

#3 – EWG’s are not available in the smaller sizes like 8’s, 10’s, 12’s. Nor is some of the 2X or other special applications hooks. So make sure you know that a particular style you want is available in the size you need

Could not agree more Randy!! No question….

scott-k
    Red Wing

So,if I want to change out trebles on #5 and #7 shad raps, what size gamu ewg would you use? And would you do both trebles or just one?

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Scott, I don’t have the sizes memorized, but Gama EWG, is available for both sizes. I would do the rear first, then the front as needed. When walleyes or bass are aggressive you’ll see most of them hooked by the front hook. When negative they nip the rear of the bait and you want the easiest hook set

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Btw a great trick I do on shad raps and a few other cranks is replace the rear hook with a feathered gamakatsu round treb. Adds mass and action

joc
    Western and Central, NY

Thanks for the input

Yellow Fever
    Kingston Ontario

I have not bought a treble hook yet that did not need to be touched up…thats one of my winter projects is that I check EVERY lure I have and touch up the hooks till they stick into my thumb nail….also I never put a lure over till the hooks are tested and touched up if needed….in my humble opinion sharp hooks are the #1 way to put more fish in the boat

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.