Best new gear for the 17/18 season

• brian schultz
    Minot, ND

Now that the ice season is coming to a end. I was wondering what people thought of there new gear that they used this last season. I didn’t get a lot of new gear this year, but the few things I did get I was very happy with.

1st. I bought a lithium shuttle for my lx-7. I really likes this. They battery last a lot long and the fact it fits in a 5 gallon bucket was the cat a$$ for me. I always hated from day one the original carrier for the lx-7. I hated it enough that I was going to sell it and go back to a vexilar.

2nd I got a ion X 8″ auger. First off I have never been sold on a battery powered auger. The batteries are expensive when you have to replace it and the older ones didn’t drill fast enough. Now on the Ion x. I talked to a lot of people that were using this auger for more then one season. I couldn’t find a single person that didn’t like it. I read a lot of reviews online and most were positive. I bought one in January for my wheel house. The first time I took it out I redrilled my old 6 holes in my wheel house with no problem what so ever. So I left it int he back of the truck for 2 hours and drilled another 15 holes with ease. I then left it in the back of the truck over night at 5 degrees and drilled another 15 holes in the morning. This is drilling though 28″ of ice. I went yesterday and drilled 20 holes though 35″ of ice and had 2 out of three bars left. I still don’t think I would sell my jiffy propane, but I don’t see myself using it much anymore.
    I few of the things that I didn’t really care for with the ion x. The reverse to push the shaving down the hole works good when the ice is 24″ or less, but when the ice is thick you are better off to leave it run as you pull out he holes. In the wheel house a paint mixer from Menards on a drill works better. Also it doesn’t work that good for redrawing holes if they have not froze over completely. It gets caught and will bind up. I had the bolt that connects the flight to motor come lose. That problem was solved with adding a 3/16″ allen head wrench to my tackle bag. The true test will be in five years or so to see how long the battery last. All in all if you are not drilling a ton of holes it a good auger. But for a wheel house I don’t think you can beat it.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Best new gear for me was my new tucr rods. I have 2 BW and a Fusion and love them. waytogo waytogo Going to add a precision for next year. Working with John at tucr is great.

Bigwalleye30
    MN

My only real purchase was the Strikemaster Lithium 40v and have no regrets. Thing works way better than I expected. Got the 10” and was worried how well it would work but it’s awesome. Cuts almost as quick as my Lazer Pro and with it being electric I can be done with my holes in almost the time it takes to get the gas started and warmed up. I don’t expect to use my gas one much at all going forward. Prolly only on my LW trips.

Jason Guthmiller

The best addition this year had to be the tucr deadstick paired with that okuma avenger baitfeeder reel. Missed alot less fish than the old bobber setup. Tied for 2nd is the otter led house light and the otter xth lodge. The tucr Fushion is next on the list. Great for perch, crappie and gills with small spoons and #4 ul rippin raps.

bdmac

1. Marcum LX7
    2. Baffin Snowmonsters
    3. 30″ DH Custom Al Dente – ABS handle

Doug M
    SE SD

For me it is the dakota lithium batteries. Thanks to jamin!!

efrommung
    Green Bay, WI

I got 2 BW and a Fusion this year and paired them with Okuma Ceymar c-10’s. (call me a copy-cat) Love the set ups. Love the handles and the smoothness of the C-10s. Going to switch out a bunch of my old reels with them for next year.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Easy… the 8” K-Drill

My gas auger is already gone for good.

droc2487
    Letcher, SD

I love my helix 7 g2. The duel 2d flasher screen and the gps lakemaster maps is well worth it

Jamin
    Hudson, WI

For me it is the dakota lithium batteries. Thanks to jamin!!

Glad to hear it, Doug! It’s a toss up for me between my lithium battery and the TUCR BW I picked up up from the cabelas bargain cave.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

My only real purchase was the Strikemaster Lithium 40v and have no regrets. Thing works way better than I expected. Got the 10” and was worried how well it would work but it’s awesome. Cuts almost as quick as my Lazer Pro and with it being electric I can be done with my holes in almost the time it takes to get the gas started and warmed up. I don’t expect to use my gas one much at all going forward. Prolly only on my LW trips.

Glad to see this report. Was thinking about getting one towards the end of the season and they were all gone. sad Next year, hope they still package it with the extra battery.

New additions were a TUCR Precision and a Marcum 485 camera. Had fun with the camera…no problems. The Precision though, all the walleyes I caught were on rattle reels after dark. Next year though… wink

Dan Baker

For me, it’s the new FLX-28. Great battery life, much brighter and more responsive display, and much quieter than my 18.

Dan
    Southeast MN

I was thinking about starting a thread like this. I think it’s a great idea for folks to post reviews of new (to them) items now when the season is winding down, rather than next fall when we’re all craving ice fishing but the memories are older.

1. My main purchase was a Marcum Recon 5+ underwater camera. There are things that cameras can do that flashers can’t but after using a camera for the first time my belief is firm that cameras are a SUPPLEMENT to flashers and not always necessary. In fact last week I fished water that was really stained and didn’t have any visibility on my camera. That’s the only time that’s happened this winter, but it can happen. Otherwise it can help identify structure and species, and, maybe the most beneficial, show how the fish are reacting to your presentation. When you’re marking fish and they’re showing interest but not biting you can drop the camera down to find out for sure what species it is and how exactly they’re reacting to what you’ve got.

I will say that I, along with many others on this site, have had problems with this unit. There are great features on this camera, such as water temperature, depth, and direction. All three of those have not worked at one point or another this winter, many of them often. This should not be happening on a new unit. I’ve been trying to establish some consistancy and petterns with the unit to see if there are certain conditions that make it work, but either way I think a call to Marcum will be made at the end of the season to get it working better.

2. My other major purchase this year was an Eskimo Quick Flip 1. I realize most on this site have much better or bigger shelters but just in case anyone is looking for a cheaper 1-man flipover…..Pretty good shelter. Assembly does take quite some time (I’d say over 2 hours). Great to have, I’m used to pulling a sled and while this is a little heavier I really don’t notice much difference. You can use the shelter fully flipped over or put halway up to block wind. Not a lot of room inside and you’ll have to get creative with how you sit in relation to the hole to make sure you can get a good hookset.
    I watched the price of this all fall and finally made the purchase once Fleet Farm listed it for under $200. It came with a 3-point chair. I sit in the shelter with this chair in the sled part and had room to fish and also a Mr. Buddy heater. Especially considering the sale price I paid I’m very happy with the purchase.

Rick Janssen

Easy for me too – K-Drill. I went for the 6″ which is all I need. I love it. I did 53 holes on one battery early in the season. When ice was up to 21″ I could still get 20 holes on one battery. Since the drill came with a spare, I just carry that too and have never gone through both batteries in one day. Cuts so freaking fast too.

thaddeus
    St. Cloud, MN

Gruv micro jig box, finicky foolers, Flambeau bunk box, and Otter LEDs. Love em all.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Pline floroclear and a few more jiggin raps sums up my big purchases of the year.

Pline really is fantastic, highly recommend over any other floro I’ve tried thus far.

Dylan Salow

A new TUCR Fusion, lithium shuttle, and bro-sidestep thermal were my main purchases this year. Happy with them all so far and already looking forward to next season to use them again.

bigstorm
    Southern WI

My only purchase this year was the Otter XT Pro Cabin, its quite the upgrade from my old Frabil that wasnt insulated

tindall
    Minneapolis MN

8″ K-drill and a 12″ strikemaster extension with a pool noodle sleeve.

Hopefully next year I can acquire and say good things about a clam drill plate.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Brand new blades for my Jiffy Stealth 2hp. It rips through ice again.

jagermeister
    NW Ontario

Shuttle for the LX7 love it last 2 -3 days,fits in a bucket ,love it.
    TUCR PN still hammering the crappies. Will be replacing all my rods with TUCR’s.

jld
    Holmen

34″ JT Gold Digger paired with an Okuma Inspira and a Strikemaster Hardwater coat. Already starting a list for next season. TUCR Fusion and an Otter Lodge hub are at the top of that list.

Brandon S

My best purchase was the Frabill Bro Sidestep. Plenty of room for 2 guys, stays very warm, and the side doors are awesome.

My worst purchase was the HT ice rigger. I was looking forward to reeling in some big fish on a tip up, but I had more problems than success. The line would either tangle, or tip up wouldn’t trip more often than not. Gonna giver her another try next year. Might just go with an Ifish Pro.

Scott

Best purchase for me hands down my 10″ 40v Strikemaster, followed by my Yetti, then my TUCR rods.

Now, I have my eyes on a Marcum LX7 before next year

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

34″ JT Gold Digger paired with an Okuma Inspira and a Strikemaster Hardwater coat. Already starting a list for next season. TUCR Fusion and an Otter Lodge hub are at the top of that list.

I’m guessing you meant Striker Ice Hardwater coat?
    I forgot to mention in my earlier post I bought one too, about mid winter and that was my best purchase by far as I found myself wearing it on an almost daily basis when we had those -0° temps.

Best purchase for me hands down my 10″ 40v Strikemaster

Good to see another thumbs up review. I’ll be looking to get one for next year. I know there are alot of recommendations for the K-Drill, I just have no other need for a Milwaukee drill.

jld
    Holmen

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>jld wrote:</div>

I’m guessing you meant Striker Ice Hardwater coat?
    I forgot to mention in my earlier post I bought one too, about mid winter and that was my best purchase by far as I found myself wearing it on an almost daily basis when we had those -0° temps.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Scott wrote:</div>
    Best purchase for me hands down my 10″ 40v Strikemaster

Good to see another thumbs up review. I’ll be looking to get one for next year. I know there are alot of recommendations for the K-Drill, I just have no other need for a Milwaukee drill.

Yep, good catch on that Striker coat! I should have pulled the pin on the Predator bibs to. As much as I like to move around I think those Hardwater bibs will be too much.

tim hurley

X1 on the Snowmonster. Warm, light, good traction, and are narrow enough that I can drive with them on. Only wish I could have tried them on at a store. followed the sizing reccomendation on the site-also tried on another style of Baffin at REI-worked out.

kayl

My best purchase was the Frabill Bro Sidestep. Plenty of room for 2 guys, stays very warm, and the side doors are awesome.

My worst purchase was the HT ice rigger. I was looking forward to reeling in some big fish on a tip up, but I had more problems than success. The line would either tangle, or tip up wouldn’t trip more often than not. Gonna giver her another try next year. Might just go with an Ifish Pro.

Go with the Finicky Fooler. I think that was my best purchase this year, which is impressive considering I didn’t have much ice stuff before this year. Watching my girls reel in pike was a lot more fun than catching them on tipups.

Robert Duncan

2017 Striker predator Bibs and Jacket for $125 each from Gander. Best deal for me on the year.

troutbum
    St. Paul

Both are light weight and fast, the opposite of me. User-friendly and reliable. I’ve gotten accustomed to buying new gear and becoming dissapointed. Not the case with either of these pieces. Highly recommend them!

Attachments:
    1. 65E774FD-E3F8-498E-8DFE-717C69053E4D.jpeg

2. A846450D-5469-41A7-8910-8654C0C9BA5C.png

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.