Best Nets

• Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I’ve been doing a little research on new nets and the reviews are all over the board. I currently have a Frabill that I like but the net is mesh material. I spend too much time getting trebles unstuck.

I’m looking for something that stores reasonably, telescopes to 5′ or so, and isn’t mesh. I use it mainly for walleye but also bass and the occassional pike. The other thing with mesh is that it stinks and holds pike slime terribly.

I know alot of guys like Beckmann but I think they are mesh, too? I’m not super concerned on cost – just want something that works well. Suggestions on brand and size?

JoeMX1825
    MN

I own 2 Ego retractable nets (both with the rubber net material) never had a single issue with them, great net imo, obviously you don’t want to lift up a heavy fish when the net is fully retracted, that’s the only thing I can see causing an issue, but it’s common sense imo…..

curleytail

I have a ranger walleye net. I think it’s the 25 inch hoop with handle that extends to 84 inches. I really never extend it as leaving it in the 1st locked position is long enough for me. If i trolled more I’d probably extend it. It’s relatively heavy with the telescopic handle but it’s stout. The dipped net does a good job of not tangling. The hoop is big enough for walleyes and bass and any average size pike you’ll run into.

I also have a frabill musky net with a dipped net bag that has seen hundreds of muskies and doesn’t tangle badly either. Again it’s a heavy net but very solid.

Matt L
    Twin Cities

I bought an Eco Slider last year and have not been happy with it at all. The plastic is cheap and has already cracked, and the slider sticks to where I don’t even use it any more.

I bought a “King” RS Net this spring with lake trout/Salmon in mind. They are spendy, but amazing quality. I plan on replacing the Eco next season with a smaller RS. Thorne has them.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I also have a ego 2 slider. Never had a issue. Has netted lots of fish and taken a beating

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

I bought the 25″ ranger net with extendable handle and I really like it. Bulkier than some of my other walleye nets, but more capable also.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Anyone know of any that fold? My frabill folds so I can throw it in the belly rod storage. I don’t know if these others will but might need to measure it up.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

I also have a walleye and a muskie stowmaster. They are also nice, still tangle up with cranks a bit but not bad.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

The stowmaster looks like a winner to me!

The Pessimist

I have the Stowmaster Mr. Walleye and it is great for walleyes and bass. I looked at multiple nets before I pulled the trigger and I have no regrets. Got a smoking deal at Joe’s during one of their sales.

queenswake
    NULL

Another vote for the EGO slider. Doesn’t bind when extending/retracting.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

The stowmaster looks like a winner to me!

Looks like a good choice. It’ll be on my list when I look for another net.

john23
    St. Paul, MN

Another vote for a Ranger brand nets. I had a Frabil that broke a few years ago. I bought a Ranger (not sure which model, but it’s all metal with a retractable handle and a coated bag) to replace it and think it’s great.

B-man

All the nets mentioned here are good. I have three different nets for different purposes, each a different brand.

Here’s my take on all of them.

For a general net for fish up to 10lbs, I use an Ego slider. Before that I had a walleye/bass Stowmaster- long story, but it’s on the bottom of Superior and I needed a quick replacement. The Ego is a great net for it’s purpose, doesn’t tangle easy and telescopes extremely fast. Not as compact as the Stowmaster that it replaced though. My only real complaint is the handle is threaded onto the hoop (like a broom), and it can loosen easily. Also, the yoke is made of plastic, obviously not the strongest material.

My next net is a bigger Ranger with the octagon handle. Love it, but my only complaint is the yoke has sharp edges (nicks up the leader). Need to run a file on it to resolve the problem, but overall it’s a great net that is rock solid and very inexpensive. It has solid buttons to extend the handle and never a doubt if it’s clicked in.

Lastly I have a huge muskie/salmon Stowmaster. It has a 3 piece handle that telescopes out to around 10′-11′. Great for BIG fish, especially trolling. It collapses into an unbelievably small package when not needed. My only complaint, I wish it had the bigger/springier buttons like to Ranger, but it’s not a deal breaker.

As for other nets, Beckman has a cult following. But I’ll never own one. The completely round handle is a terrible design. You have to spin and line up the holes perfectly to extend the handle (Stowmaster and Ranger are grooved/octagon so you just pull and it lines up on its own).

I’ve heard great things about RS nets. They sound rock solid. Only negatives is the price and they aren’t very compact.

Nets are like boats…..a world of compromises jester

Egos are lighting fast.

Stowmaster’s are solid and collapse into nothing.

Rangers are solid and inexpensive.

Beckman’s are solid but have a round handle.

RS are rock solid, but expensive and with their own negatives.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

All the nets mentioned here are good. I have three different nets for different purposes, each a different brand.

Here’s my take on all of them.

For a general net for fish up to 10lbs, I use an Ego slider. Before that I had a walleye/bass Stowmaster- long story, but it’s on the bottom of Superior and I needed a quick replacement. The Ego is a great net for it’s purpose, doesn’t tangle easy and telescopes extremely fast. Not as compact as the Stowmaster that it replaced though. My only real complaint is the handle is threaded onto the hoop (like a broom), and it can loosen easily.

My next net is a bigger Ranger with the octagon handle. Love it, but my only complaint is the yoke has sharp edges (nicks up the leader). Need to run a file on it to resolve the problem, but overall it’s a great net that is rock solid and very inexpensive. It has solid buttons to extend the handle and never a doubt if it’s clicked in.

Lastly I have a huge muskie/salmon Stowmaster. It has a 3 piece handle that telescopes out to around 10′-11′. Great for BIG fish, especially trolling. It collapses into an unbelievably small package when not needed. My only complaint, I wish it had the bigger/springier buttons like to Ranger, but it’s not a deal breaker.

As for other nets, Beckman has a cult following. But I’ll never own one. The completely round handle is a terrible design. You have to spin and line up the holes perfectly to extend the handle (Stowmaster and Ranger are grooved/octagon so you just pull and it lines up on its own).

I’ve heard great things about RS nets. They sound rock solid. Only negatives is the price and they aren’t very compact.

Nets are like boats…..a world of compromises jester

I have a RS and what you say is true. Also let me add they are heavy because they are well built. No complaints I guess.

fishingchallenged

I have the Stowmaster Mr. Walleye and it is great for <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>walleyes and bass. I looked at multiple nets before I pulled the trigger and I have no regrets. Got a smoking deal at Joe’s during one of their sales.

+1
    First season for me with this net and I’m very happy with it. Bought it at Reids during the Sportsmen’s Show and got it on sale and a rebate. About half the price of the RS net that was my other consideration. So far I’m happy with the choice.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

One thing I’ll never understand about landing nets is why the hell they don’t float. Right Will?

I actually filled my ranger with spray in foam as was suggested here a couple months ago. Haven’t tested the flotation but it’s definitely a plus if it floats. I lost 2 in 2018.

mwal
    Rosemount,MN

I have used the stow master Mr Walleye net for 5 years. It stows nicely hooks dont tangle in it.it handles very large fish for its size. Highly recommend it. 50 inch muskie on Thursday. It has landed a 46 incher as well.
    Mwal

Attachments:
    1. 27932.jpeg

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Just ordered the stowmaster. Not a moment too soon as when I pulled the net out of the boat today to rinse it the hoop came apart as 3 screws that held the hoop in place had come loose.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Was the bass in the muskies mouth?

Yellow Fever
    Kingston Ontario

I own 2 of the RS nets….I did modify mine slightly by putting the Yellow painter extensions on one of them (sorry Roman )they are excellent nets and with the latex coating it is usually easy to remo e the hooks. One has the white bag which i use at night and it makes a big difference netting a fish in the dark as i don’t use any lights. I would buy them again.

Bass-n-Eyes
    Maplewood & Crane Lake, MN

I have the RS Green Bay net. It is fairly heavy but not to the point of being unwieldy. First the good, The size is perfect for what I was looking for, a multi species net that can handle walleyes, bass and the occasional large pike. I netted a 42″ pike earlier this summer and it fit curled up in the net with no problem. I also like the netting material itself, the biggest reason I got the net. I have had zero instances of the hooks getting caught in the netting. Now the bad, the handle attaches to the hoop using this button/spring clip arrangement which allows the handle to be removed for storage. One of the first times I used it I went to land a fish and the hoop disconnected from the handle and plopped into the lake followed immediately by the spring clip assembly. I was able to grab the the hoop before it sank but the spring clip is somewhere on the bottom of Rainy Lake. I contacted the dealer I got it from and he told me he would have RS send me a replacement clip immediately. Six weeks later and no clip I contacted the dealer again and he gave me the clip out of one the nets he had in stock. When I put it in the net it was loose and didn’t keep the hoop on very well so I said the heck with it and drilled the whole thing out and bolted the handle to the hoop. Soon after that one of the roll pins that hold the hoop tube to the aluminum block assembly where the hoop and handle come together fell out and again to the bottom of the lake. Drilled that out and bolted it as well. The handle comes wrapped with a colored tape and almost immediately that began to fall off, after a couple of months it is nearly all gone. The issues I’ve had are disappointing for a $200 net but now that I bolted it together I don’t expect any more issues other that It soon will no longer have any wrap on the handle.

Yellow Fever
    Kingston Ontario

Joe….try one of the painter handles like i did. Work really well. They fit right in to the net, i bolted mine too

Scott Gergen
    Hastings, MN

I have a stowmaster and have used it for the past 10+ years with minimal issues. After getting into crankbait fishing for walleyes more, it was a pain to get trebles out of the netting.

Switched to an Ego2 with rubber net this Spring and have been pleased so far with the purchase.

shockers
    Rochester

The Stowmaster sounds like a good net. I’m curious how it is for ‘one-handed’ operation. I often fish by myself so need a net I can hold in one hand etc. I have a Beckman that’s nice, but it’s pretty unwieldy for one-handed operation and a bit heavy. Is Stowmaster decent for one-handed use? I’d consider the Ego, but have heard quite a bit of negative reviews on those.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I think 20” is a bit too small. Large walleye and even decent size pike will cause an issue.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Any consensus on the best hoop size for all around duty for a guy fishing mostly solo?
    For example, the ranger tournament series offers 20×20 or 25×25.
    Is 20×20 adequate for walleye, bass, average pike, or would a guy find it a bit lacking?
    Is 25×25 unwieldy and overkill?

The one I have is absolutely perfect for netting 25”-35” fish. I believe I have the 28” x 30” Ranger tournament series 9800TFB. I’ll double check tonight.

I had it out on Lake Superior this past weekend and managed to net a 37” and 38” lake trout while trolling petty easily. A fish any bigger though would be risky. I also hoisted them in by lifting on the thick handle without any concern at all. So if anyone questions how strong these are, you shouldn’t.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I use the extension about 95% of the time. It’s a necessity for trolling in my opinion. If you’re not going to troll much, it’s probably not needed.

They carry these at Sportsman’s warehouse if you have one nearby.

Let me get back to you on the size. The difference between sizes is significant depending on how you plan to use it.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.