Best ice video ever (MN state record sturgeon 2019)

• broeker
    Minneapolis, MN

I posted this in my sturgeon rod thread but felt it deserved its own post. As I noted, this may be the single greatest ice fishing video of all time, capturing the MN state record sturgeon (estimated at 120 pounds and roughly 100 years old) coming through the ice on the St. Croix in 2019:

I watch an unhealthy amount of ice fishing videos but there is something so raw and real about this video that puts it above any production-heavy video I’ve ever seen. Top notch Minnesota dialogue, sneaky plot twists, and one hell of a fish. I cannot wait to catch my first ice sturgeon.

p.s. guessing this was posted and discussed back in 2019 but I wasn’t around then and figured it would be worth a re-post for anybody who hasn’t seen it.

p.p.s i was also reading the yt comments and saw it was 3 Rivers fishing who caught this fish, which I recognize from here. I’m assuming that is one in the same. If so, kudos good sir!

toast

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

That’s Darren Mr 3rivers. Big fish, so impressive especially through the ice. Anytime he posts information on this forum it is worth reading

3Rivers

I’m glad you enjoyed the video broeker, I appreciate the kind words, it sure was fun catching that fish and definitely a fun and memorable time in my life when that video was shared all over the world (it was picked up by all the mainstream media outlets).

On the other hand, it really gave me just a tiny taste of the bad things that also go along with a popular video and catching a record. I’d probably do it a little differently next time.

Side note: while it can’t be 100% confirmed, that fish has most likely been caught several times since that video, which I think is awesome!

CaptainMusky

Side note: while it can’t be 100% confirmed, that fish has most likely been caught several times since that video, which I think is awesome!

That is what makes it even cooler!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

That video is like all the planets in our system aligning.

* 3 Rivers had a ton of video experience prior.
    * He has a ton of ice and open water experience for sturgeon and other fish.
    * The fish was at the right place at the right time.
    * I’m not sure how many other people have the experience to bring a fish that size through a hole in the ice or realize they will need 5 holes to bring it up without a break off from the fish or the ice hole edges.

If a person thinks about all the things that didn’t go wrong, it’s just amazing!

Well Done Captain!

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I have seen the video before, however did not know you were on the forum. Congrats on the catch that must have been one hell of a rush pulling that hog through the ice.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I have seen the video before, however did not know you were on the forum.

Me neither. Didn’t realize we were literally in the presence of greatness.

3Rivers

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>John Rasmussen wrote:</div>
    I have seen the video before, however did not know you were on the forum.

Me neither. Didn’t realize we were literally in the presence of greatness.

Really? As far as I know, BK has been here forever. )

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Really? As far as I know, BK has been here forever.

Haha. Oh yes I forgot.

JEREMY
    BP

Were you 3Rivers when you caught it or still Dtro?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Really? As far as I know, BK has been here forever.

doah

But funny. rotflol

broeker
    Minneapolis, MN

I’m glad you enjoyed the video broeker, I appreciate the kind words, it sure was fun catching that fish and definitely a fun and memorable time in my life when that video was shared all over the world (it was picked up by all the mainstream media outlets).

@3Rivers
    are you still doing any guiding? I checked out your website and either you are on a break for the winter, or you are fully booked up through March!

isu22andy

On the other hand, it really gave me just a tiny taste of the bad things that also go along with a popular video and catching a record. I’d probably do it a little differently next time.

Just curious what were the bad things ? Spot crowding ? People following ya around ? Death threats ? Kidding on the last one .

3Rivers

@3Rivers
    are you still doing any guiding? I checked out your website and either you are on a break for the winter, or you are fully booked up through March!

Yep, still guiding. Has been a tough year due to ice conditions, had to cancel/move several trips back and only a month left to try and get them in + trips already on the schedule, so yeah fully booked for now.

3Rivers

Just curious what were the bad things ? Spot crowding ? People following ya around ? Death threats ? Kidding on the last one .

Just a lot of negativity in regards to the fish (not handled properly, not measured accurately, not caught legally, PETA stuff just to name a few). The ugly really came out in some people and lost many “friends” over it and YES had death threats from random people too. Believe it or not, at one point, the police were even involved due to threats against MNDNR staff. Sad (

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Just a lot of negativity in regards to the fish (not handled properly, not measured accurately, not caught legally, PETA stuff just to name a few). The ugly really came out in some people and lost many “friends” over it and YES had death threats from random people too. Believe it or not, at one point, the police were even involved due to threats against MNDNR staff. Sad

Man people suck sometimes. Sorry you went through that in a moment that should have been awesome.

3Rivers

Man people suck sometimes. Sorry you went through that in a moment that should have been awesome.

Thanks, I appreciate it. Hopefully it was a learning opportunity for everyone (I know it was for me).
    I just looked back and found an original thread here: https://www.in-depthoutdoors.com/community/forums/topic/congrats-dtro/

It’s about time someone breaks that record now. Every year I say it’s going to happen this year. Maybe it will finally happen in 2023…

broeker
    Minneapolis, MN

It’s about time someone breaks that record now. Every year I say it’s going to happen this year. Maybe it will finally happen in 2023…

I’m on it!

(although i do believe I would have a literal heart attack if I looked down the hole and saw that thing staring back up at me.)

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

…and YES had death threats from random people too.

Seriously?! There are way too many a-holes in this world.

Hard Water Fan
    Shieldsville

Wow that fish is impressive. Congratulations!

broeker
    Minneapolis, MN

Selected dialogue, in sequence:

“If it is a monster, it’s going to be a pain to get out of that hole.”

“One of us is going to have to go elbow deep to guide that fish through the hole.” 

“Ohhh, that did not sound good.” 

“Anytime I get him close, he’s gone.”

“Ope! I saw something.” 

“I saw bubbles. Bubbles.”

“We got bubbles. Bubbles up all of the holes at the same time.”

“Ohhhhhh. Oh my gosh. Are you kidding me???”

“Oh my god dude. We are not getting him up that that hole.”

“Yeah, he’s not coming through there. He’s not coming through there.”

“No fricking way in hell. You might get him up that triple. Yeah, you might get him up the triple, but you are NOT getting him up the double.”

“Yeah but it’s fricking 24 inches (points at double hole)…we’re going to have to try to … I think we’re going to have to…”

“I don’t think this fish is going to come up through 3 holes, I’m gonna be honest with you.”

“Whelp, do you wanna take your sweatshirt off?”

“Oh my gosh, he is so heavy….bubbles.”

“Alright, he is not coming up.”

“Yeah he is.”

“Look at that thing.”

“He’s not coming in. He’s not gonna fit.”

“Do we have to drill another hole?”

“His head is literally that big around.”

“I know. It won’t fit in three holes. His head will not fit in three holes.”

“Yeah, let’s do it. I think we gotta go one more.”

[backup arrives to drill two additional 10″ holes]

“It’s gotta be close. It’s gotta be close. Gotta be close.”

“Gotta be close.”

“Oh yeah, he’s gotta be close.”

“Gotta be close. Gotta be close.”

“Oh my gosh. Look at that thing.”

“Hooooooooly……sheeit.”

“Careful. Careful. Hold that line. Let me go deep.”

[much celebration!]

“I went deep.”

“We gotta get this thing back down the hole.”

“Doesn’t want to go…he’s hanging up on something. Ope, there he goes!”

“I might be done ice fishing. I don’t think i wanna…, honestly, I don’t know if I want to experience that again.”

“That was awesome. But man. Holy cow.”

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

LOl…I’ve been there in such situation ice fishing on Bayport.

To others, it’s just another big fish story, but I will have that personal experience and memory forever.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.