best ice fishing rod for the $

• bholman13

what is everyone’s thoughts on their favorite perch ice fishing rod?

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

well, what’s everybody like?

I broke a Sage RPL III 3WT. Someone stepped on it in my boat and busted the butt end. So I stripped it down and built a 40″ slow action rod for #3 jig raps and the anticipated #3 rip raps. So far, very sweet rod….. other than the $$$$$ for the original rod

bholman13

sorry guys, i should rephrase. what’s everyone’s favorite perch ice fishing rod for the $. I’m not huge on spending a lot of ice fishing poles….

bholman13

i have a buddy who does this….seems to work well for him. I’m looking for something that has great back bone but that soft tip to really see those finicky bites

curleytail

If you want to see the bite but have good backbone my vote would be a noodle rod from one of the good makers. Most of them have soft tips that quickly transition into a pretty solid backbone.

I make my own so I can’t comment too much on which to get but I’ve handled TUCR noodles and they seem nice. The Bullwhip might be a bit better for perch depending on what size baits you’ll be using.

Actually I had a DH Al Dente that I sold a while back. It was just slightly heavier in the tip than I wanted for small tungsten jigs but might be about right for small perch spoons, etc.

DH is a bit cheaper too. TUCR rods are nice I’m sure but the recoil guides add significantly to the cost.

Or learn how to build them if you have the time and interest. Not a whole lot of startup cost, and you can make some pretty quality stuff at a fair price.

Tucker

PmB

i have a buddy who does this….seems to work well for him. I’m looking for something that has great back bone but that soft tip to really see those finicky bites

Fenwick aetos 28″ ml covers this exactly. Around $50

Aaron Drier

If you want to see the bite but have good backbone my vote would be a noodle rod from one of the good makers. Most of them have soft tips that quickly transition into a pretty solid backbone.

I make my own so I can’t comment too much on which to get but I’ve handled TUCR noodles and they seem nice. The Bullwhip might be a bit better for <em class=”ido-tag-em”>perch depending on what size baits you’ll be using.

Actually I had a DH Al Dente that I sold a while back. It was just slightly heavier in the tip than I wanted for small tungsten jigs but might be about right for small perch spoons, etc.

DH is a bit cheaper too. TUCR rods are nice I’m sure but the recoil guides add significantly to the cost.

Or learn how to build them if you have the time and interest. Not a whole lot of startup cost, and you can make some pretty quality stuff at a fair price.

Tucker

I agree with you, building your own is rewarding. This will be the first year that I fish with 100% rods that I made, I think I’m up to 9 now a mix between carbon and glass blanks. Check out Bass For some awesome and affordable blanks, I have built on everyone that they offer and they will all have a place in the rod locker.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

The Jason mitchell gen7 combos are fantastic value IMO. Reel is solid, handle collapses, have really enjoyed this combo last couple seasons. And I’ve owned most all the other customs.

Bill Sackenreuter
    Devils Lake ND

Jason Mitchell meatsticks and No 8 Tackle’s Snitch make good light biting perch rods,and run about 30$.Not sure if the No 8’s being made yet.

ejdelvo28

Fenwick Elite Tech ML in 26 or 28″ is an awesome all around perch rod. It has a fast tip – though not as fast as your typical quick tip rod – and transitions smoothly into backbone. Super sensitive as well. It has no problem handling walleyes or toothy critters. Runs $40 retail or on sale for $30.

If you’re looking to really keep your budget low, get an HT ice blue or a Shakespeare ice noodle. Both are great budget noodle rods. The HT is around $10 and the Shakespeare is a little nicer running about $15.

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

Have personally always liked ugly stick summer and ice rods for the value

TheCrappieFisherman
    West Metro

Limit creek has some nice rods for around $25.
    13 wicked is nice also.

Lund1775
    Plymouth, MN

I agree with Ben D I have a 13 wicked ice and love it. 13 makes some nice rods. They also came out with a few new combos this year which are more budget friendly.

milemark_714

If you really want to go budget,check out the HT Ice Blue series.Not a bad rod,except for the flimsy corkalon handle.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

I’m a St Croix fanboy. Use to run the Premier Ice rods. $20 tag, but bought on sale for like $10. This year I picked up a few Mojo Ice rods. They retail for $50. They’ve got that fancy reel seat.

13 Wicked Ice is nice rod too. Comfy Evolved real seat. Lightweight ceramic rings on line guides.

watisituya
    North Metro

Jason Mitchell meatsticks and No 8 Tackle’s Snitch make good light biting perch rods,and run about 30$.Not sure if the No 8’s being made yet.

The Snitch is now branded as a 13 fishing rod, they sell them at Fleet Farm in multiple lengths, After using the No. 8 Snitch rod and inline reel combo for two years, I picked up a 29″ snitch and paired it with a Ceymar C10 for Finicky eyes and perch.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Brian’s Custom Hard water perch rod. I hand make each one and they are the best perch rod for under $80. Fast tip and real sensitive.

sorry guys, i should rephrase. what’s everyone’s favorite <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>perch ice fishing rod for the $. I’m not huge on spending a lot of ice fishing poles….

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

13 Fishing Tickle Stick 27” L-power.

Versatile stick, and a great value at $40.

skfishing16

13 Fishing Tickle Stick 27” L-power.

Versatile stick, and a great value at $40.

13’s are great rods at a reasonable price.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I buy $20-30 ice rods then the best reel I can find. Almost elusively pflueger. Its worked for me the last 30 years. I know the nice stuff works well but no way I spend a hundo on an ice rod.

Dan Baker

It all depends on what you consider good money. If you are in the $30-$50 range, then the the Cabelas branded Quick Tip is great. If you are thinking $50-$70 range the TUCR Inferno rod in Medium is great. My personal favorite is my TUCR Fusion for $119. But again, your idea of for the money is the first thing to nail down.

holmsvc
    SE ND

Frabil Qt, Jason Mitchell Meat Stick, and if you want to jump up a little in price my DH Al Dente is my go to perch rod.

404 ERROR
    MN

The JM meatstick is an awesome rod for the $$. It’s about the only thing Clam I enjoy. I have two and love em!

Kevin

limit creek lil’ smoothie is a good budget ice rod

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

The JM meatstick is an awesome rod for the $$. It’s about the only thing Clam I enjoy. I have two and love em!

Agree! Except I have 4 of em. Great rods and they’re cheap!

404 ERROR
    MN

Agree! Except I have 4 of em. Great rods and they’re cheap!

Since posting this almost a year ago, both of the tips broke…

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Since posting this almost a year ago, both of the tips broke…

So do you think this was your fault? or the manufacturers fault? I’ve had mine for a while now and I have no complaints at all.

For what it’s worth, I vote there should be an “old thread” alert when these get brought back to the surface doah

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

The tips on the meatstick rods just can’t handle it. Plenty other rods made like them nowadays.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.