Best future Trophy Walleye Destination

• tight-lines

So my Dad and I are obsessed with big fish (who isn’t). We were talking about planning a trip in the next 2-4 years for a fish of a life time trip. Where would you go if you were planning a trip? To preface the trip, my Dad lives on Lake Sharpe and I live in Pierre SD. I have a 12+ on the wall and he is looking to get one bigger. We are thinking Great Lakes??

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

lake Winnipeg ?

bowtecmike
    Zimmerman mn

Erie and Winnipeg are the two that Come to mind. Pre spawn on a few different river systems can be heavier but not always that long just filled with eggs. Or Columbia river on west coast but that’s a heck of a drive for one.

steve-fellegy
    Resides on the North Shores of Mille Lacs--guiding on Farm Island these days

lake Winnipeg ?

Good choice and or Tobin ( the river) in early to mid-October. Erie or Green Bay will put out a lot of big walleyes but not many ( not numbers of them per boat every day) over 10 lbs. Erie is the best for 7- 11’s and numbers–lots of them. But for over 10’s—Tobin and or Winnipeg will put out more than any place I know of –consistently.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Columbia river, Winnipeg and the river, Erie and the Detroit river.

404 ERROR
    MN

Nipigon shouldn’t be overlooked!

BigWerm
    SW Metro

All of these suggestions are on my bucket list, if your Dad is ok w/ a replica Rainy River doesn’t usually disappoint either.

munchy
    NULL

I’ve heard Fort Peck In Montana has some monsters

tight-lines

If we caught one to mount it would definitely be a replica. Never thought of Rainy, Watched several videos and looks like a great opportunity. Thanks for the advice and who knows, maybe catch the next trophy tomorrow here at home.

steve-fellegy

If we caught one to mount it would definitely be a replica. Never thought of Rainy, Watched several videos and looks like a great opportunity. Thanks for the advice and who knows, maybe catch the next trophy tomorrow here at home.

To get one bigger than 12 as you refer to, odds are tough almost everywhere. That said, “over 12” is most common in the river in the fall at Tobin. Yes, Winnipeg/and the river puts out a lot of big walleyes ( lots of 8-11’s), but “over 12″ as your post refers to, is not as common as Tobin in the river in October. Nor are they very common at Erie–even though Erie is the place you catch more of the 27″-30″ fish than anywhere. Rainy? No way–once in a lifetime would be tough for a 12 but 22-27” fish are very common these days. Fort Peck has quite a few 10-13’s caught each year but it is a tough BIG lake to do it in but not a bad choice just not as good at getting a BIG one as Tobin. Tobin can put out multiple fish a day per boat OVER 10 to 14 lbs.–or even bigger if one knows how and where ( the river is not a big area to figure out) Columbia River puts out big walleyes but again, not many people get them but that system has more BIG ones than most places–no doubt. A shot at over 12–the river at Tobin….in early/mid October. Call me if and when you decide to go there…as there are “tricks”. ( one day we boated 6 over 12 in an hour! …up to 15.3)

KwickStick
    At the intersection of Pools 6 & 7

I’m getting goosebumps.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Little Bay De Noc

youngfry
    Northeast Iowa

Last Mountain Lake should be in the mix

Nick Cox
    Minnesota

Touch base with Paul Delaney he fishes big walleye waters all the time, and could likely help you out or you could even go out with him on a guide trip!

rwilliam
    St.Paul, Mn

X2 on what Steve has to say about Tobin.
    I’ve taken my boat up there 4 times in the mid 1990’s and the year 2000.
    If memory serves me correctly we have 10 walleye over 10 pounds. The biggest being a 16 lb’er, and two that went 13.5 lbs.
    I also agree with Steve’s assessment of going in early to mid October.
    If you go in early October be aware of the fishing tournament that goes on that time of year called the “Vanity Cup”. We used to go after the tournament was over.

hunterjoe
    Twin Cities

Quinte not good anymore? I’ve seen shows and heard that the average out there in the fall is close to 10 lbs.

steve-fellegy

Quinte not good anymore? I’ve seen shows and heard that the average out there in the fall is close to 10 lbs.

OOPS! I forgot about that one! Good big fish spot especially in the fall–long drive and big water to gamble with due to weather–not unlike any of the Great Lakes. Also–related, the main lake areas out from Henderson Harbor.

Last Mountain as mentioned has potential of a good size average and an over 12 in the mix sometimes. Diefenbaker Lake also…

No matter where you go, find the fish is the first and foremost thing. In most of the lakes/rivers mentioned, once found, the bite is usually pretty easy for a well-rounded walleye hunter. For an inland fisherman, not experienced at big open water walleye hunting, without lots of pre-trip homework, it could be tough. Erie is easiest in late April/May in a normal spring–to find the fish/rafts of boats.

Feel free to call me when the time comes….

catmando
    wis

Google lower columbia river walleye club, look up said members pb you will say, oh my,. DK

to_setter
    Stone Lake, WI

I’ve heard great things about the Columbia river and I’m considering a trip there this spring to look for a pre-spawn fish. I moved from WI to CA in September and while it’s still a drive, I ‘m thinking very hard about pulling the Skeeter up there in late March/early April. If all goes well, we can consider this a “pre-fish” for you:)…..

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

I met a guy at a conference that lives in Portland. They don’t even care about the +10lb walleye, they just get in the way of the 40-50lb salmon pics he sends me.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.