Best entry level fly rod

• Darell Golly

What’s the best entry level fly rod? Is there any I can get into for around $100?

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Scientific Anglers, Reddington, and Cabelas, Orvis, and several other outfits have “Starter Kits”. Most of these can be had for around $100.

The SA kits are pretty good, and the Reddington Crosswater kits are decent too.

If you live in the area, the Great Waters Fly Fishing Expo is about a month away. Lots of people there that can answer your questions, you can get free casting lessons, maybe kick the tires on a rod or two.

http://greatwatersflyexpo.com/

S.R.

Darell Golly

Thanks, I will try to make it to the expo.

Wes Norman

Hey Darell, To answer your question in short I really like my Redington Path 2 when I was first starting out. I think I paid something like $150.

But really without knowing what type of fish or water you are going to be fishing in its hard to really recommend a fly rod. Hope this helps somewhat.

luttes
    Maplewood/WBL

Cabelas has had some decent starter kits over the years between $100-$130. Totally depends on what you’re targeting and what presentations you want but a good place to start is a 4 piece 4 weight 8 footer. I think some kits come with line too.

Drizzy Musky
    Duluth

St. Croix Rio Santo. I’ve caught a bunch of browns, smallies and pike on my 8wt that I bought 5 years ago when I got into fly fishing. Still have it and its still great

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.