Best Deal on Rapalas?

• bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

Looking to replenish my lost shad raps from last year. Fleet Farm has them at 25% off through today. Their normal price is 7.19 for the SR-7’s. This should make them 5.40 each. Does anyone know of better prices than this? Thanks for any information you can provide. I plan to pull the trigger tonight if I don’t hear a better deal.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

FWIW, I haven’t bought a Rapala crank since they started tearing apart when pulling in a fish. Flicker shads are cheaper and hold up better, but to each his own.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

I think James gets a better deal. whistling

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

The flickers do need to be tuned more frequently than I like, but I agree with Sticker. Cabela’s has the “Pro Packs” of three #7 flicker shads for $11, otherwise I think they’re about $4 individually.

404 ERROR
    MN

That’s a pretty good price for this time of year.

However, I’m also with Sticker on this one. Unfortunately for me, Rapala has been demoted when it comes to shad style baits. The Flicker Shads have been just as good, if not better than the Rapalas for me the last couple years. Yes, you may need to tweak them a bit to run straight every now and then, but the price justifies the work. I’ve also been using the Storm Smash Shads, but I have had one break right where the body meets the lip and tuning is more prevalent than even the Flicker Shad.

zooks

Looking to replenish my lost shad raps from last year. Fleet Farm has them at 25% off through today. Their normal price is 7.19 for the SR-7’s. This should make them 5.40 each. Does anyone know of better prices than this? Thanks for any information you can provide. I plan to pull the trigger tonight if I don’t hear a better deal.

This is a pretty good deal, you might find them cheaper here or there but overall it’s solid. Agree with Sticker and ME, have been buying mostly Flicker Shads and Smash Shads the last 4-5 years as well. Watch for sales on those too, you can usually get them for under $4 per bait if you hit it right.

Matthew Sandys

Now I’m pretty green, will someone explain to me how they tune the flicker shads or any other stick bait?

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Although I still use Rapalas, I did have 2 different cranks (SR-#5, and a Jointed #7) both break apart last summer and expose a wire in the middle making the baits useless. Both incidents were from about 3lb pike hitting the cranks while being long-lined at about 2mph.

I have not had a Flicker Shad completed break on me yet, but they definitely do not always run true.

I’m pretty hard on cranks as probably 25+ in my collection are chipped, have one busted hook, paint coming off, etc. as I troll the river. I’d say 1 of every 50 eyes or saugers I catch is not lying directly on the bottom or within a foot of it. Cranks more than a foot or two off the bottom don’t generate many strikes. This equation has me wondering – are there more durable cranks on the market?

Jake D
    Watertown, SD

As others have said, that a pretty solid deal. I’m going against the grain and sticking true to my raps. If they are getting torn apart, scratched, and chipped due to fish, they are doing there job.

fishingchallenged

I’ve put more fish in the boat on Wally Divers than anything. Black and chrome is a always the consistent producer on LOW. They also are on sale often.

buschman
    Pool 2

As others have said, that a pretty solid deal. I’m going against the grain and sticking true to my raps. If they are getting torn apart, scratched, and chipped due to fish, they are doing there job.

I am right there with you Jake. You wont catch me on the water in the fall without a pile of husky jerks and x-raps.
    I have had the rear hooks break off of both shad raps and flickers but smash shads have been bullet proof for me. So use the #6 and #7 smash shads a lot. I still believe Rapala shads in #5 are the best in that size. The little #5 flicker shads are terrible. They are hard to keep tuned and that size is the one that the rear hooks pull out of.

I just wanted to add my two cents anyways. If I had one “brand” to live by it would be Rapala. I don’t know what would replace a husky jerk in my boat.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

This equation has me wondering – are there more durable cranks on the market?

The real equation is what are anglers willing to pay for. Not much!
    As I see re-stocking orders come through, its entry level stuff for the majority. In general, most buy cheap.
    Everything is manufactured to a price point. Want the cheapest price? Then expect to get cheap finish and hooks.
    I agree with many that quality baits have gotten very expensive. No denying it. But look at how much more expensive and time consuming it is to buy an airbrush, art compressor, clear coat, heavy duty split rings, gamakatsu ewg treble hooks.. .ya, it adds up fast and I don’t have that much time.
    But, it all comes down to you get what you pay for.

mojogunter

When a crank bait doesn’t run straight to tune it you adjust it by bending the eye to the left or right depending which way it needs to go. A little adjustment tends to go a long way. It can be done with a needle nose pliers, but the crank adjusting tools make the micro adjustments needed much easier. Trial and error. Adjust, put it in the water and note if it is straight. If not adjust and try again.

Now I’m pretty green, will someone explain to me how they tune the flicker shads or any other stick bait?

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

I appreciate everyone’s feedback. I’ve been fortunate in the past to have friends with connections at Rapala so they have had decent discounts (VIP or employee discounts). Now their VIP prices have gotten pretty spendy too. I did buy some of the flicker shads last year but haven’t given them a fair shot yet.

Karry Kyllo

I love trolling crankbaits using lead core line and snap weights. I use all types of Shad Raps, Tail Dancers, Shad Dancers, Smash Shads, Flicker Shads, Flicker Minnows, Bagley Balsa Shad, Salmo, Wally Divers, Matzuos, Strike King, Live Target, Reef Runners, and some crankbaits that I haven’t named and honestly they all catch fish. Walleyes prefer one over the other almost every time out and I constantly switch styles, brands and colors of crankbaits throughout the day. Some times they want rattles, some times they don’t, or it may be different profiles or sizes or different actions……..it’s hard to predict until you try a certain crankbait.
    While I have had I think 2 Rapalas fail on me, they almost always run straight and they are some fish catching machines. They are fairly high priced though and the most they seem to go on sale is 25%. The quality of Salmo crankbaits is very similar to the quality of Rapalas and they run straight out of the box as well. They are some great fish catchers also. Salmos are regularly priced fairly high but there are some great sales on them at times if you keep your eyes open. The Flicker Shads almost always have to be tuned out of the box and frequently tuned and their hooks are crap but they really catch walleyes. The nice thing about them is that they can be found on sale for $2.99 at times. The Reef Runners need frequent tuning also but their hooks are good quality and they really catch fish. I won’t go into all of the crankbaits I named but every crankbait has it strengths and weaknesses, but like I said, they all catch fish.

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

if you have Amazon prime watch on there, I’ve found they cycle different ones around as ‘add on’ items and many of them can be significantly lower, you just have to get $25.00 at a crack to get free shipping. I have noticed some more popular colors don’t seem to fall into those very often, but I picked up some B.H.O. tail dancers, which is my favorite color, for almost 50% off a couple months back.

Matthew Sandys

Fishusa has some good deals sometimes. Get their email with daily sales.
    Thanks for info mojogunter

AUTO_5
    Inactive
    Mendota Heights, MN

Recently I have had at least two or three rapalas break where the lip connects to the body while casting over rocks on pool 2, which is really disappointing. To be fair, it has been happening in early spring or late fall when the water is pretty cold, but still, I expect a big name expensive lure to hold up better than they have.

Chris Messerschmidt
    Minnesota

I appreciate everyone’s feedback. I’ve been fortunate in the past to have friends with connections at Rapala so they have had decent discounts (VIP or employee discounts). Now their VIP prices have gotten pretty spendy too. I did buy some of the flicker shads last year but haven’t given them a fair shot yet.

This happens when people abuse the system unfortunately. Its not just Rapala…

I luckily haven’t had any issues with Rapala lures so far.

Ryan Hughes

This happens when people abuse the system unfortunately. Its not just Rapala…

I luckily haven’t had any issues with Rapala lures so far.

I completely agree the prices of the VIP rapala stuff has gone up due to people abusing it but that is why there is a cap on it too. I have a VIP login myself and just looked at the shad raps in question and I can get them for $4.79/ea so $5.40 isn’t bad at all.

nailswi
    Waunakee, WI

I’ve put more fish in the boat on Wally Divers than anything. Black and chrome is a always the consistent producer on LOW. They also are on sale often.

DON’T tell anyone!!!!!!!! Wouldn’t want to see the price go up due to an increase in sales. ;) Black/gold, Sparkle Fire Tiger and Gold Perch are favorites also.

arcticm1000
    New Richmond, WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>fishingchallenged wrote:</div>

DON’T tell anyone!!!!!!!! Wouldn’t want to see the price go up due to an increase in sales. ;) Black/gold, Sparkle Fire Tiger and Gold Perch are favorites also.

What size of Wally Divers are you guys using, size 5 (2 1/2″) or size 6 (3 1/8″) ?

nailswi
    Waunakee, WI

I have both but I’ve had my best luck with the 2 1/2″ size

arcticm1000
    New Richmond, WI

Thanks nailswi, I will have to buy some and give them a try.

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

I have used Flicker’s in the past but I got tired of them running sideways and losing their wiggle at higher speeds. I’ve gone back to using Rap’s almost exclusively. I do have some Salmo’s and love them and need to find more situations to utilize them as they really catch fish. I also use the jointed SR’s a ton and the Raps are second to none in the jointed category.

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

Not sure how much you are planning on spending, but Joe’s has their ‘Fishfest’ going on right now. 20% off rods/reels/lures/accessories, and a $10 off $50 coupon(might have to ask about this if you didn’t get it in the mail).

You’d get $50 worth of Raps for $30. Or $100 worth of Raps for $70. etc.

cass

Runnings has Rapalas 1$ off just picked up a bunch of SSR5’s for $4.99

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.