Best 100 dollar spinning reel

• Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I ordered 2 new medium light rods, what’s the best bang for my buck. 100 dollars is what I try to stay under. I was browsing my scheels catalog. Does any one run there brand with any luck or what would you suggest. I typically run shimano but it seems the 100 dollar value isn’t what it used to be

Jimmy Jones

I have one of the 1000 series Scheels reels [box shown in pic] and love it. Got it new this spring and have used it quite a bit in some chilly weather and really am impressed with how it handles the cold. $130.00….. worth it.

I also have a bunch of the Shimano Nasci 1000 reels and they too are impressive for $100.00 reels, again impressed with cold weather use.

The drags in both reels are nice and handle large fish on the 4 pound mono that I spool with.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0523-scaled.jpg

RT
    Twin Cities

Pflueger Supreme is one of the better options in the 100 dollar range.

Rivergills
    Wisconsin

Diawa Legalis 1000 69.99, Diawa makes the scheels brand reels.

MX1825

I’ve only used there smaller reels for ice fishing but love the Okuma brand for that application. Maybe check them out.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I actually tried ordering 2 of carbon x reels the other day, it wouldn’t take my order and kept booting me off. I figured it was a sign from the fishing gods lol 😆

Musky Ed

My vote would be Shimano Nasci 2500 new version

Nodakk

Pflueger President XT Is an awesome bang for your buck spinning reel.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

My vote would be Shimano Nasci 2500 new version

How do these compare to the sahara? I used to run them exclusively, but my last one I bought seemed like a cheap reel compared to my older ones. I’ve never seen the nasci

Matt M
    Blaine, MN

I have several diawa fuego ($99.99) spinning reels and love them. Tried the piscifun and they are nice too and have a nice price point.

Matt

Charlie W
    TRF / Pool 3 / Grand Rapids, MN / SJU

I have about a dozen shimano saharas. They are just so good. 1000s mostly with a few 2500s for faster stuff.

Just got a daiwa fuego the other day. Excited to use it in two weeks. Hear good things.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Daiwa Fuego 100%

The Legalis is also a favorite of mine at an even better price point ($69) but the Fuego has a better drag.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Okuma Ceymar’s are a great reel for the $$

Netguy
    Minnetonka

I would look at the Daiwas. Regal LT at $59.99, Legalis LT at $69.99, Exceler LT at $79.99 and Fuego LT at $99.99. The Regal has the most bearings but that doesn’t mean it’s the smoothest. Need to see them in person. A couple of these are private labeled by Scheels. Some of Scheels are on sale now.

Rivergills
    Wisconsin

Diawa Fuego and the Legalis are the exact same reel except the fuego has what they call magseal for like salt water fishing ect. Fuego very nice reel also.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Daiwa Fuego 100%

The Legalis is also a favorite of mine at an even better price point ($69) but the Fuego has a better drag.

I love the casting reel I won off your YouTube thing a couple years ago. If the spinning is anything like the casting reel I would give it a wihrl.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I would look at the Daiwas. Regal LT at $59.99, Legalis LT at $69.99, Exceler LT at $79.99 and Fuego LT at $99.99. The Regal has the most bearings but that doesn’t mean it’s the smoothest. Need to see them in person. A couple of these are private labeled by Scheels. Some of Scheels are on sale now.

That’s what I seen in the mail catalog they sent. I’m not typically a store brand guy on a reel, been burnt by gander a few times. But I figured scheels is a different animal. And the reels look nice. I’d like to know how the house brands compare to the fuego and legalis and such.

Brady Valberg

Piscifun reels are not a bad reel at all. I’ve had them on ice rods for 2 seasons now no issues and I ran the carbon x on a spinning rods last summer as well with no complaints. Not sure what the longevity will be with them but they always seem to be on sale at a good price. Time will tell

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Piscifun reels are not a bad reel at all. I’ve had them on ice rods for 2 seasons now no issues and I ran the carbon x on a spinning rods last summer as well with no complaints. Not sure what the longevity will be with them but they always seem to be on sale at a good price. Time will tell

I bought the torrent on a whim and think it’s the biggest pos casting reel I own. But that’s on me for buying a cheap reel. The carbon x is a nice looking reel, but for a 2000 it’s 80 bucks I don’t know if it’s worth the gamble, not being able to hold one is lame

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I have about a dozen shimano saharas. They are just so good. 1000s mostly with a few 2500s for faster stuff.

Just got a daiwa fuego the other day. Excited to use it in two weeks. Hear good things.

This is me too. Primarily Sahara spinning reels, but recently bought a Daiwa Fuego. Use both regularly.

Rivergills
    Wisconsin

Check out i_fish you tube reviews on the diawa legalis and such. He does a great job on them, actually takes the reels apart and explains differences and everything.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mahtofire14 wrote:</div>
    Daiwa Fuego 100%

I love the casting reel I won off your YouTube thing a couple years ago. If the spinning is anything like the casting reel I would give it a wihrl.

Compared to how the Fuego baitcaster stacks up against other baitcasters at the $100 price point, I think the Fuego spinning reel is higher quality than the other spinning reels at that price point.

ganderpike
    Alexandria

X2 anything Daiwa. The last few years of Shimano models have been nothing but a huge disappointment. My Stradics and NASCI’s (Symetre replacement) are gritty and the reel itself is full of cost-cutting measures that have made it Walmart quality.

Scheel’s One reels and Fuegos/Legalis’s for me.

Red Eye

Pflueger Supreme is one of the better options in the 100 dollar range.

I have several old style supremes. Very happy with them after replacing the heavy grease with hot sauce. But be careful, they just changed them this yr. Different, slower gear ratio on the new ones. Just got a old one on eBay for $80.

Musky Ed

I have over a dozen Shimanos, and none of them have ever felt gritty. In fact about 8 Saharas from the 2012 time frame that spent their first 5 years in saltwater use with quite a bit of it kayak fishing. Not one has given me any issues. My last 3 Shimanos are a Nasci 2500 and 2 Shimano Vanford 2500’s. The Nasci is fantastic, and the Vanfords are just unbelievable. The latest Nasci’s have the light gray/silverfish body and came out in 21 I think. Lot of youtube reviews out there.

Hodag Hunter
    Northern Wisconsin

Fuego LT is the best $100 reel. Goggle YouTube-tackle advisor fuego review.

Guy is not sponsored. Does in depth reviews of how they are built. Takes them apart and compares parts. Not the typical review of how they cast, drag etc.

Compares Fuego to several $300-400.

Side note. Looking for a musky reel? Check out his Tranx review.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I don’t know about that but it definitely feels much higher quality than the six or seven different spinning reels I’ve owned in the same price point.

Hodag Hunter
    Northern Wisconsin

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Hodag Hunter wrote:</div>

I don’t know about that but it definitely feels much higher quality than the six or seven different spinning reels I’ve owned in the same price point.

To clarify. He doesn’t say they are equal but they are not 3x worth the price.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 91 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.